BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 23h, 25m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 2278MB of 3945MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: How to get a good post-count        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I've noticed a couple of people recently, asking how they can get a good postcount, and have seen similar things over the past couple of years, including when I first joined, myself, so I'm going to try and give a little bit of advice on that, so that people don't have to ask.

Start out by asking questions about anything you don't know about - be it how to install Firefox, to how Windows NT 3.10 and 3.50 can be cracked to work on Pentium IIs and better. That way you learn. Also, if you see a question, look at that thread, and see if you know the answer to it. If you do, answer it, and if you don't, remember the answer yourself: it might come in useful. As you learn more, you'll be able to answer more questions yourself, and ask more complicated questions.

You might not post loads, but your posts'll be good :).

Sorry if this has been a bit of a liberty - but I thought it might be a sensible thing to say.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
For the NT 3.1 and 3.5 part.

I can run NT 3.1 and NT 3.5 on VMWare on a Pentium 4 and an Core 2 Quad, only the NT 3.5 setup doesnt complete (need to check into that).

And your idea marktuson (not to negative/flame you) about posting this post, i have read it before made by someone else.

And you just need to read the rules before posting, there it all says what you can, and what you can do.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
For the love of god don't post threads asking how to install firefox.

To post good: Don't post. That's it, don't post until you are confident your posts aren't crap.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm 
Donator

I think it ends up being more simple than that. The problem ends up being is that we seem to get a flood of youngsters that just want a particular file. They have no experience to actually add anything meaningful to a current conversation, and nothing actually interests them other than getting the file they are looking for. There will be no saving their souls. I believe that is the nature of the 10-meaningful-post system. Contribute something meaningful, or you get nothing.

Without that we would have every braindead critter under the sun trying to use this place as a warez depot. Not only do we not need that attention, but people like me would just throw up in arms, leaving nothing but the bad element remaining here. You simply can't include EVERYONE. They don't all belong.

With that said, the best way to contribute would be to simply comment during conversations where you have something useful to add. Not "I agree!" or "lol"/"rofl". If you truly have a question about something, and you TRULY care about said subject, do your homework before posting... that is search the forum. Look on wikipedia. Hell, do a general google search to see what you can find on the subject. This proves to the world and yourself that you actually care and you aren't wasting our time just trying to score the latest Windows 7 build to show to your friends brothers roommate to seem "cool". If you come out on the other side still having a question, ask it.

Also, don't start completely meaningless topics. For instance, we just had a closed thread about "Old Processors". The poster SERIOUSLY said:

Quote:
A pentium II 500mhz
And a pentium III 700mhz
and then a Celeron 0.9ghz (not that old 5 years)

Are you out of your bloody mind? A Pentium II is your OLDEST processor AND you felt that this was somehow discussion worthy?

If you are going for more general chat, make it something where you, as the thread starter, can add to/take from.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Make a new forum for posting threads about your favourite things, like those god-awful post your favourite processor, post your favourite web-browser post your favourite post your favourite thread thread.
And make starting threads in it a bannable offense.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:30 am 
Donator

Maybe we should enforce a COPPA style system, for 13- year olds.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]