BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 4h, 12m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5837MB of 11084MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Mac on PC Help        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I've seen about 20 guides on how to install Leopard or Panther on a PC but I want to install OS9 or lower on a PC. I was wondering of you guys knew how to do it or something like that or if anyone knows where I could buy a cheap PowerBook that works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:46 pm 
Donator

Ebay =)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
You can't natively put any operating system prior to Mac OS X 10.4 on a PC. There are some emulators, such as SheepShaver that will help you out, but they will be slow and limited.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Well, can't someone make a bootable ISO that will be read under PC for it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:49 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I don't know if you understand this but
->The problem here is that the CPU are at the physical level entirely different. Most of Mac OS 9 was written for the Power architecture of CPUs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER).
Significant here is that this architecture is drastically different then the one which most Windows PCs use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86).

Furthermore, various hardware components such as Open Firmware are simply not present in PCs computers.

So then, why can you run Mac OS X on a PC? Well, Apple in 2005 for a myraid of generally good reasons switched to the x86 architecture and rewrote their operating system to run of x86. Consequently, Mac OS X 10.3(4) can be ran on a standard PC but as MAC OS 9 was never rewritten for x86 it will not run on standard PC hardware.

One way to get a nice Mac OS like computer is to install a PPC emulator such as Sheep Shaver in Linux and set it to start up a reconfigured image every time the computer turns on.

Hope that helps...

Also try finding a customized version of Windows called "Basilisk OS"; I may even have an image somewhere :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Well, if you want to get the 'classic' Mac OS feeling on your PC you might want to try out Rhapsody DR2 x86. It looks smilar to Mac OS 9.x & works on x86 architecture CPUs. However, installation of Rhapsody on modern hardware is really problemful but at least possible (unlike Mac OS 9). The first problem you will find out is that it has kernel panic when trying to install on more than 192 MBs of RAM. Another great problem will be finding working drivers for your hadrware. Anyway, setting it up is theoretycaly possible. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Oh well. The good news is my father just won me a Macintosh PowerBook 520 with mac OS 7.5.5 and I can't wait until it comes. I am wondering if someone can give the following

Word for OS 7
Excel for OS 7
PowerPoint for OS 7
AppleWorks for OS 7
Microsoft Works for OS 7
Paint Program for OS 7
IE and Netscape for OS 7
Games (Shooting and Racing) for OS 7
And a guide on how to connect my PowerBook to my Wireless XP so I can use internet.

Thanks in advance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:00 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I have hope you will be able to find them :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Are the Office programs on the server? If they are what are their filenames? And can someone tell me a site for the games?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm 
FTP Access

MS Office v4 is the newest one that will run on Macs with 68k processors (nothing that is PowerPC only ie Office 98 Mac and later will work on your PowerBook). There's lots of very old Mac games here, they will suit a 68k machine well though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I found Office 2.5.1 for Mac and Office 98 for Mac on the server. Which one will work with my PowerBook and what software is included in each one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm 
FTP Access

Office 98 is only for PowerPC Macs so that won't work. Version 2.5 would work as it is 68k but that is extremely old, you may as well get v4.2.1 as that is the latest version that will run on your PowerBook. I think v4 has Word, Excel and PowerPoint, I've never used v2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Is 4.2.1 on the server?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 pm 
FTP Access

I don't know (I got it from somewhere else), have a look ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:17 pm 
Donator

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, you can try PearPC as well: http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:40 pm 
FTP Access

He said he wanted to be able to run OS 9; PearPC will only run OS X 10.1 to 10.4.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:46 pm 
Donator

Oh, I guess I've never tried to run anything lower than 10 in PearPC, I just assumed it ran everything being a PowerPC emulator. :o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
There is Office 4.0, 4.2, 4.3 Pro, and 4.3 on the server, Are any of these for Mac? And if they're not, can you give me a link to your Office 4.2.1? And my 4 last questions:

Will the Microsoft Works 3.0 for Mac work on my PowerBook?
Is there a Microsoft Money for Mac that I can run?
Can a Mac play the MP3's I have on my XP?
Is there a Floppy install of a colored Mac (like Mac OS 7.6.1)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 pm 
FTP Access

What do you mean by a "coloured Mac", do you mean one with the Platinum interface that OS 8 and 9 had (with the grey-textured menu bar and title bars, and more modern icons?). Remember that your Mac's screen is probably greyscale, if you're wondering why it has no colour! (PowerBook 520 is greyscale, 520c is colour). You can change it from black and white to greyscale from Control Panels > Monitor (or similar, they changed the name of this control panel through the releases but it should be obvious) if it's currently just black and white ie the Apple logo in the top-left is solid black rather than striped.

Anyway, the newest Mac OS that your Mac can run is version 8.1 (which is a free update from 8.0), but only if it has 12 MB or more of RAM, otherwise you need OS 7.6.1 - there is a CD and a floppy set of this, I used the CD (I have a PB 520 too) as I have an Apple external CD drive but I think the floppy version is on the server, or at least someone did recently say they would upload it if I remember correctly.

You can play MP3s but remember that this is a very old machine so you probably won't get smooth playback if you try to do much else at the same time - MpegDec is a very lightweight player that is about the best for 68k Macs like yours.

The Works should run, it sounds old enough.

I don't think there was ever MS Money for Mac.

There was also Office 4 for Windows so they may well be those - I would assume they are for Windows if they don't say as the server holds mainly Windows files, though you can always download them and find out ;) 4.3 will definitely be the Windows version as 4.2.1 is the latest release for Mac, after that came Office 98 Mac Edition. I can't remember where 4.2.1 came from, I got it ages ago from somewhere!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Thanks a bunch! Can you upload your Office 4.2.1? And I still need IE and Netscape for my Mac. Since I suck at searching, if anyone uploads or finds the floppy install of OS 7.6.1, Please upload it. And since my PowerBook has 7.5.5, will the 1.40MB file named System 7.6.1 update my Mac to 7.6.1?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 am 
FTP Access

You can get any browser you could ever want from here - the newest IE for 68k Mac is 4.01 and Netscape is 4.07 I think.

No, 7.0, 7.1, 7.5 and 7.6 were the paid releases of Mac OS 7.x an the intermediate releases were free updates from the previous paid release, so you can't use the free updater to go from 7.5.x to 7.6.x, you would need 7.6 first and then the 7.6.1 updater - 7.5.5 is the latest release of 7.5.x.

How much RAM does your PowerBook have? RAM upgrades for the 5xx PowerBooks are rare so I suspect you only have 4 or 8 MB (4 is the minimum that they come with).

By the way, if you want the Platinum interface of OS 8/9 that I mentioned on OS 7.5/7.6, you can - you need to get Appearance Manager from Apple and you will get the new interface and icons.

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Oh well. Can you up your Office then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Since some of the files are bigger than a floppy, I was wondering if there is a RAR program for my Mac? A ZIP program would do just as good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:18 pm 
FTP Access

Finding programs to RAR on any version of Mac OS are pretty nonexistant , as for ZIPs you could try StuffIt or something like that but i dont remember there being a 68k version.
You're best bet would be install Os 8, it was probably the most used version and it has most programs written for it. The problem though is ram, so upgrading is somewhat problematic.

Top  Profile