BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 19h, 56m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5077MB of 11109MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:06 pm 
Donator

troyoda1990 wrote:
Then with the DB-15, the computer loaded setup just fine, in which I could get to the "Installation" part of DP2 Setup. Here, it began extracting all of the files from the setup, but then, all of a sudden, it said "Operation could not occur." Because I didn't have the rights or access to do so. 8-) So then I restart, and then I get a "Welcome to Mac OS X Developer Preview 2" Screen, in which is loads and boots, but it doesn't get to the desktop after booting (probably because the Desktop and Base files weren't loaded from not existing). So I restarted, and now I'm in OS 9.2.2 and looking to see if I can extract the files myself and install it manually.

I had an issue somewhat like this with DP3. It would tell me something about the operation not being permitted and something to do with file names. Then I clicked the only button pressable, the go back button. Then once I had clicked go back, it asked me if I wanted to customize the install or just install it normally. Doing either of the two would simply close the installer and shut down the computer. I've downloaded the image again to see if it will work this time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:02 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I thought you said you'd bought it from eBay? :S

If that was with the same hard drive it sounds like it's dying then, the 8 GB limit is only feature of the Beige G3 (and early iMac G3s), not the hard drive itself.
I did. It came with no CD. I have only a few CDs back from when I bought my PowerBook G3, which had an OS 9.2.1 installation CD, a Mac OS X 10.3 Release CD, and a few other software related CDs.

The hard drive is officially dead. I pretty much gave up on the whole project. I have school starting tomorrow and this is something that will have to wait another day, week, or month until I have some free cash to get a new hard drive. Until then, I have moved back to my Pavilion, which is faster and works with the ZIP Drive. ;)

Either way, I seriously want to thank you so much for your support and everyone else in trying to get this system to work. We were close, but it's technologically outdated and it doesn't fit my needs for a desktop computer (I need a MIDI out connector, since I record music, and I need a Mac OS X based system to do accomplish a number of things.).

I did find this one option though. My college has a bulletin up for 10 Blue iMacs [the original G3 kind with upgrades]. It's got 256MB RAM (upgradable of course), I want to say a 10GB Hard Drive, and Tiger on it. It's only $100, and it comes with the extra peripherals like keyboard, mouse, etc. so this would be AMAZING to have. Not to mention, no shipping costs. :P

Do you think there is a way to flash the video card BACK to being a standard PC video card?

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:15 pm 
FTP Access

troyoda1990 wrote:
It came with no CD. I have only a few CDs back from when I bought my PowerBook G3, which had an OS 9.2.1 installation CD, a Mac OS X 10.3 Release CD, and a few other software related CDs.

Ahh, I meant the actual drive, not the CD itself - any generic OS 9 disc will work (orange with a white "9", not grey discs as they are sometimes/sometimes not locked to specific machines), burned ones should be ok too. You can also download and burn Tiger, although I found the original drive did not like CD-Rs of Tiger and a modern DVD-RW drive was needed to install from them properly (the old drives were not burners so probably not meant for reading burned discs so much). Some PC CD drives will not boot a Mac though, so if you can't boot the 9 disc it would be worth trying the drive that came with the machine if it is the original one (ie it has an Apple logo on it somewhere).

troyoda1990 wrote:
Until then, I have moved back to my Pavilion, which is faster and works with the ZIP Drive. ;)

Hehe, scrap that old thing and stick its hard drive in the Mac! :P Seriously, these are cool machines and not at all outdated even today, you can even run Leopard on them! ;)

troyoda1990 wrote:
Either way, I seriously want to thank you so much for your support and everyone else in trying to get this system to work.

No probs ;)

troyoda1990 wrote:
I did find this one option though. My college has a bulletin up for 10 Blue iMacs [the original G3 kind with upgrades]. It's got 256MB RAM (upgradable of course), I want to say a 10GB Hard Drive, and Tiger on it. It's only $100, and it comes with the extra peripherals like keyboard, mouse, etc. so this would be AMAZING to have. Not to mention, no shipping costs. :P

Cool :) Which ones are they, the G3 iMac was made for a few years so it could range from a "Bondi" tray-load model with a 233 MHz G3 processor which will be a bit slow, right up to a 700 MHz model which will be pretty nice (although note that some software, notably Leopard and most of iLife '08, has been compiled for AltiVec only so will only run on G4s and above). $100 would only be a fair price for one of the newest G3 iMacs though, older ones especially can be had for less or even free nowadays. Make sure you get at least 512 MB Ram for optimum performance, also a 10 GB hard drive would most likely be an old drive and I find that newer faster drives make a noticeable difference to OS X performance. Also the older G3 iMacs had low-end integrated graphics so you will get worse OS X graphics performance out of them than a G3 tower with a Radeon card installed. The iMacs are very pretty machines and nice to have, but the Beige does have the potential to be a much more powerful Mac with upgrades despite being older.

troyoda1990 wrote:
Do you think there is a way to flash the video card BACK to being a standard PC video card?

No idea, I don't think it's something that anyone's done as the Mac cards are a lot more valuable than PC ones. If you want a PC Radeon 7000, sell this one as a flashed Mac one and buy a PC one a lot cheaper.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 am 
FTP Access

Okay, well, I may go back to the Beige G3 soon. I'm planning on buying a new hard drive (not by IBM or having the name "DeskStar" in the name) and work from there. The only other hard drives I have are 4GB, 5GB, and a 2GB, but I think the later two are dead as well. The 4GB currently has my fast Windows AlphaBetas Build 1405 on it (yeah, it's a rarity but it's still fast today! :) ) so I won't be using that. OS X was working fine until that happened, and the screen savers proved the video card worthy to have since my old PowerBook G3 Lombard could barely display the "Flurry" SS without turning off a lot of options.

Also, I had my CD-RW Drive in it from my Pavilion. It's an LG Drive, so it may not be bootable with a Mac. It did come with the original standard 24x Read Only CD-ROM Drive, but I changed it because it made scratchy noises when reading discs, and this could have been problematic.

Until then, I'll just use my MacBook Pro and iPod touch for internet and productivity. I have a paper coming up, and I need reliability as of now.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
troyoda1990 wrote:
Okay, well, I may go back to the Beige G3 soon. I'm planning on buying a new hard drive (not by IBM or having the name "DeskStar" in the name) and work from there. The only other hard drives I have are 4GB, 5GB, and a 2GB, but I think the later two are dead as well. The 4GB currently has my fast Windows AlphaBetas Build 1405 on it (yeah, it's a rarity but it's still fast today! :) ) so I won't be using that. OS X was working fine until that happened, and the screen savers proved the video card worthy to have since my old PowerBook G3 Lombard could barely display the "Flurry" SS without turning off a lot of options.

Also, I had my CD-RW Drive in it from my Pavilion. It's an LG Drive, so it may not be bootable with a Mac. It did come with the original standard 24x Read Only CD-ROM Drive, but I changed it because it made scratchy noises when reading discs, and this could have been problematic.

Until then, I'll just use my MacBook Pro and iPod touch for internet and productivity. I have a paper coming up, and I need reliability as of now.
If you pay for shipping, I'll give you the 24x CD-ROM from my scrapped Beige G3.
Consider it a gift.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 am 
FTP Access

Long time since I've posted. I found out that the iMac type they are selling at my school is a 500 Mhz G3 iMac, it is blue and it's based off the Summer 2001 iMac. It was the last one before the Flat Panel iMacs came out a year later. It comes with 256MB RAM, software included, and I wanna say a 10GB Hard Drive. It seems like it's just the same stock iMac, but possibly used.

http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?p ... ASC&range=

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:47 pm 
FTP Access

Yep, that's a pretty nice machine - it'd run Tiger quite nicely, though do remember that it won't run Leopard (and iLife '06 or '08 ) without the very rare iMac G3-G4 upgrade (the Beige is much easier to upgrade to a G4) and you could do to take it to 512 MB for best results. Check out how much iMac G4s cost before buying it, you might find they are a lot more but it's worth checking you're not close to the cost of a G4 LCD model.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re:        Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 4074
ddrmaxromance wrote:
Long time since I've posted. I found out that the iMac type they are selling at my school is a 500 Mhz G3 iMac, it is blue and it's based off the Summer 2001 iMac. It was the last one before the Flat Panel iMacs came out a year later. It comes with 256MB RAM, software included, and I wanna say a 10GB Hard Drive. It seems like it's just the same stock iMac, but possibly used.

i have one like that .. very fast for a 500 MHz ...i use Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3 .. i dont remember

anyway .. good machine :P

I love Mac lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Re:        Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:27 am 
FTP Access

skfunnyboy wrote:
ddrmaxromance wrote:

i have one like that .. very fast for a 500 MHz ...i use Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3 .. i dont remember

anyway .. good machine :P

I love Mac lol

I remember this post from a year ago! :) Anyways, yeah, a majority of us love using Macs for its simplicity and use. My most recent purchase on eBay was an iMac G4 with the 17" flat screen. It was the last Mac to run Mac OS 9 natively, and up to Mac OS X Tiger [but you CAN put on Leopard/Snow if you choose to unofficially].

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Re:        Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:32 pm 
FTP Access

ddrmaxromance wrote:
It was the last Mac to run Mac OS 9 natively, and up to Mac OS X Tiger [but you CAN put on Leopard/Snow if you choose to unofficially].

Only Leopard, sadly Apple made Snow Leopard Wintel-only... :( They are pretty much identical to use though, the changes are nearly all under-the-skin changes that are more relevant to the Intel machines though at least, so it doesn't feel like you're using an old-fashioned OS like going back to Tiger from Leopard does.

I think the Power Mac G4 "Mirrored Drive Doors" from 2003/2004 (the one they sold after the original MDD dropped OS 9 support but made some users unhappy) was the last OS 9-compatible machine, and also by far the most powerful as it packed a single or dual 1.25 GHz G4 chip :)

17" G4 is a nice machine though, hope you're enjoying it :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Re:        Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:35 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
ddrmaxromance wrote:
It was the last Mac to run Mac OS 9 natively, and up to Mac OS X Tiger [but you CAN put on Leopard/Snow if you choose to unofficially].

Only Leopard, sadly Apple made Snow Leopard Wintel-only... :( They are pretty much identical to use though, the changes are nearly all under-the-skin changes that are more relevant to the Intel machines though at least, so it doesn't feel like you're using an old-fashioned OS like going back to Tiger from Leopard does.

I think the Power Mac G4 "Mirrored Drive Doors" from 2003/2004 (the one they sold after the original MDD dropped OS 9 support but made some users unhappy) was the last OS 9-compatible machine, and also by far the most powerful as it packed a single or dual 1.25 GHz G4 chip :)

17" G4 is a nice machine though, hope you're enjoying it :)

Yeah, I meant that this version of the iMac [the first 17"] was the last iMac machine. Mac OS 9 support still lasted with the Power Macintosh series for those that still used the applications. I would LOVE to have one of those machines, as they would pretty much scream Mac OS 9 at such a fast pace. I also forgot about Snow Leopard being intel only. In all honesty, when I upgraded to 10.6, nothing felt different except for a few visual things here and there, and startup/shutdown was much faster. But the computer didn't feel any faster. Either way, for $29, it wasn't that bad of an upgrade! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Power Macintosh G3 displays empty white box        Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:36 pm 
FTP Access

Yep, though OS 9 is a screamer on anything G4 really, it is installed on our Digital Audio G4/466 as well as Leopard and is seriously fast! As for Snow Leopard, all I got when I tried upgrading was a kernel panic screen (which looks identical to the one in Leopard, I can assure you ;)), I'm going to wait a while until things have settled down with the new OS in the Hackintosh scene, though I did get it running in VMware 7 the other day, which was surprisingly really easy! :)

Top  Profile