BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 7h, 17m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 2085MB of 3077MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Power Macintosh G3 displays empty white box        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 am 
FTP Access

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a PowerMac G3 Beige on eBay about a week ago and got it today. When I turn it on, it boots up, showing the Happy Mac and then resumes to loading Mac OS. It displays "Milwaukee Summit Public Schools" or something when it turns on, instead of the "Welcome to Mac OS" with the face screen, as I'm assuming it belonged to the school system in Wisconsin. Must explain why the "Macintosh Sound" didn't play to prevent kids from annoying their teachers to death. ;)

Anyhoo, the computer loads, shows one extension of the Ethernet TCP/IP? extension and all of a sudden, it displays an empty white box!, in which the hard drive stops making noise.

I've tried the following to fix it:
1. Hold down shift to prevent extensions from loading [all this did was show a white box with bomb, with "bus error" and "address error" and error type 10.
2. Load the Mac OS 9 CD ROM Drive I have with my PowerBook G3 to see if I can access the hard drive without dealing with the corrupted files [but all this does is freeze half-way through the status bar.
3. Holding down Command-Option-P-R to zap the PRAM to erase any useless data.
4. Removed devices that may be causing the issue, such as ZIP Drive, floppy, hard drive, audio, networking, etc.
5. Pray, cross fingers, bash head, etc. etc.

This may explain why the machine was sold at the price I got it for. However, maybe someone out there has a possible solution to fixing this Mac. Also, I want to say it's a Desktop Beige Revision A Model, running at 266 Mhz. It came with extra memory (like 192MB) and it would suck to have to let this thing hit the curb. If anything, I'll find another hard drive and reinstall Mac OS, but I have a feeling this is a hardware error.

Thanks!
Troy

EDIT: Okay, get this.
I just turned it on after inserting a Zip Disk, and wow. The computer played the Macintosh Sound very loud, and then loaded! I'm so excited.

And now, a dialog has appeared and the girl is speaking to me that the time is incorrect!? WTF!? This is so cool! lol

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 am 
Donator

Macs are tempremental like that :/

The iMac G3 266Mhz I had (which my mother took) had a broken CD-Rom and I threw out the IDE cable for it (so expensive to replace the two, its like $70 postage from America :S)

So I managed to put a CDROM in it to install OS X Panther ... well... It installed... but then the HDD would not get power *at all*

Three months later I tried again, OS X replaced 3 files and the HDD booted again.

:S

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:00 am 
FTP Access

Have you tried just starting up from a retail (not PowerBook specific or anything like that) OS 9 CD, wiping it and installing a fresh OS 9.2.2, that should clear anything where it's been locked down or is looking for a network?

The person speaking probably means that the option to speak dialogs is enabled (Control Panels > Speech I think) and the little dialog saying the time is wrong has appeared on the desktop at startup - this usually happens if the internal battery is dead, if so (if the clock resets to some default date when you turn off and unplug the machine to cut all power) you should replace it as these machines can be temperamental without the battery.

These are awesome machines, make sure you enjoy it! :D I've got one (the minitower version though, they're nicer still) and OS X 10.4.11 flies on it, and I'm trying to get Leopard installed on it at the moment as someone has finally got it to work and posted some instructions for doing it, though I haven't had success yet. (You'll need a G4 CPU upgrade in it for Leo though) To run Tiger you need to make a < 8 GB partition as the first partition on the disk and then the rest for OS 9, install OS 9, then use XPostFacto from OS 9 to boot from the Tiger CD and install it. Note that the revision A ROM does not support slave IDE drives so if you want more than one hard drive and CD drive you'll need to replace the ROM chip with a rev. B or C one (though the desktop case may not have enough slots for more anyway, I haven't seen inside one) By the way, if you need a bigger hard drive, any IDE drive from a PC can be used, you don't need a Mac-specific one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:18 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, this thing runs Mac OS 9.2.2 and came with 192MB RAM I wanna say. It has two ethernet ports and is really fast. It also came with Microsoft Office 2001 or 2002 for OS9, Norton software, Palm OS, and some other neat features. The ZIP drive is much more responsive than my PowerBook G3, along with the floppy disc player. The CD-ROM player is a little weird (makes scratchy noises, but doesn't scratch it at all.

And best of all, it works with all of my Macintosh LCII stuff, such as the ADB Macintosh Keyboard and mouse, the 12" RGB Monitor (surprisingly, it displays in thousands of colors which I thought of weird at first, because the LCII's card only supported 16 and 256 colors and black and white). The only thing is the microphone port, since it needs to be powered by its own source. Oh well, I never used it anyways. lol

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 pm 
FTP Access

Yes, the Beige G3 was the last OldWorld Mac with all the old Mac ports, old video connector and a floppy drive. 192 MB Ram is good for OS 9 but you'll want more for OS X, I've got 512 MB and it's great with that (the max is 768 MB ie 3x 256 MB modules). You can use any PC monitor with these with a DB15-VGA adapter, or better still get yourself an old Radeon Mac Edition card for better performance, OS X compatibility and a VGA port.

I would still do a fresh install of OS 9 though as there'll be lots of crud in there if it's an old installation that was used on a locked-down network.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Yes, the Beige G3 was the last OldWorld Mac with all the old Mac ports, old video connector and a floppy drive. 192 MB Ram is good for OS 9 but you'll want more for OS X, I've got 512 MB and it's great with that (the max is 768 MB ie 3x 256 MB modules). You can use any PC monitor with these with a DB15-VGA adapter, or better still get yourself an old Radeon Mac Edition card for better performance, OS X compatibility and a VGA port.

I would still do a fresh install of OS 9 though as there'll be lots of crud in there if it's an old installation that was used on a locked-down network.
Well, the first thing I need to do before any of that is finalize all these annoying college loans, letters, and stuff. Since there are two free PCI ports, I will most likely get a USB card reader and either a MIDI port thing, or VGA card. Because not everything I own...uses 512x3 resolutions. It gets annoying having to move the windows and resize everything. lol

My only issue right now is getting OS9 to read my network. And I can't decide whether ethernet port to use, the PCI one or the built in one. Also, the Network Assistant has a password on it (although I've disabled the school's proxy thing), and the clue for it is "See User Manual." :^)

So I kinda like the desktop beige simply for the fact it can fit on my desk with the ability to put a monitor on top. I miss my old Packard Bell Legend 22CD or whatever because of that ability, and that's why I brought the LCII out in the first place. Now, I start doing real things on a Desktop Macintosh. lol

As for Mac OS X, I may dual-boot it, but I need a better hard drive since this one is loud and annoying, and has only 4GB capacity.

My main question to you guys is now "Engery Saver." Whenever I go there, it only allows me to put the computer to sleep mode after 30 minutes. What if I wanted it to be 5 minutes? It won't let me have this option. I also remember the "Put Hard Drive to sleep" option on other macs, but this one seems disabled for the option. And also, when I put the Mac to sleep, it only turns off the display output and the hard drive, but the fans still run, the poweron light blinks (which is normal), the cd drive can still open and close, etc. etc. Any tips?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

What does the Energy Saver control panel on there look like then? Usually it has sliders where you can set the amount of time, again I suspect you have a slightly iffy installation of the OS and a fresh one would be best. I think standby is the same for me, I don't really use it, also on my regular PC (under Windows) the fans and lights stay on when in standby, it seems to only be laptops that go into an off-like state when on standby but still keeping everything in memory,

You shouldn't need the Network Assistant, as long as there's DHCP on your network just go to Control Panels > TCP/IP and set it to use Ethernet as the connection type and automatic configuration to connect, it should then connect fine. Use the PCI card if it's an Apple Fast Ethernet (10/100) card and you don't need the slot for anything else, I think the integrated is only 10baseT.

Yeh, those old LC screens are pretty bad, especially with that resolution! I've got a USB card (most PC ones will work), Radeon and the ethernet card in my slots. You should look out for one of these Mac screens, a couple came with my Beigey and they make a good companion for a Beige as they are the same vintage and have an ADB hub and the old DB-15 video connector (though of course you then need the other adapter to use them with a PC or the Radeon cards)

You should definitely go for OS X though, these things seriously feel as though they could be brand new machines when running Tiger (and hopefully Leo if I can get it to work!). A fast hard drive makes a big difference though, new 7,200 RPM 120 GB (larger drives will only show up as a maximum of 128 GB in the Beige) are dirt cheap nowadays anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:59 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
What does the Energy Saver control panel on there look like then? Usually it has sliders where you can set the amount of time, again I suspect you have a slightly iffy installation of the OS and a fresh one would be best. I think standby is the same for me, I don't really use it, also on my regular PC (under Windows) the fans and lights stay on when in standby, it seems to only be laptops that go into an off-like state when on standby but still keeping everything in memory,

You shouldn't need the Network Assistant, as long as there's DHCP on your network just go to Control Panels > TCP/IP and set it to use Ethernet as the connection type and automatic configuration to connect, it should then connect fine. Use the PCI card if it's an Apple Fast Ethernet (10/100) card and you don't need the slot for anything else, I think the integrated is only 10baseT.

Yeh, those old LC screens are pretty bad, especially with that resolution! I've got a USB card (most PC ones will work), Radeon and the ethernet card in my slots. You should look out for one of these Mac screens, a couple came with my Beigey and they make a good companion for a Beige as they are the same vintage and have an ADB hub and the old DB-15 video connector (though of course you then need the other adapter to use them with a PC or the Radeon cards)

You should definitely go for OS X though, these things seriously feel as though they could be brand new machines when running Tiger (and hopefully Leo if I can get it to work!). A fast hard drive makes a big difference though, new 7,200 RPM 120 GB (larger drives will only show up as a maximum of 128 GB in the Beige) are dirt cheap nowadays anyway.

Okay, so I did a few things since this last post:

One, a number of things from my old HP Pavilion 1999 computer (notice year) are compatible with the Power Macintosh G3. SOOO...I decided to stick them in for fun and they worked!
    256MB RAM: Since they use similar RAM sticks (VERY RARE), they worked like a charm, and I now have 320MB RAM on my G3!
    40GB HDD: At first, I bought the hard drive and I thought it died. However, I stuck it into my G3, formated it (since it would no longer be read on a PC for some reason), and I now have two partitions, one with Mac OS 9 and my documents.
    LG CD-RW 40x12x40x Drive: Took out the very bad and scratchy 24x Standard CD-ROM Drive and stuck in my Pavilion upgraded IDE drive. I haven't tested burning, but trust me, it's more efficient and reads data and music great!

So of course, I reinstalled Mac OS 9.2.1 (updating later) and my internet works fine. In fact, I'm typing to all of you right now on my G3 as we speak! :) The only issue now is getting that Video Card so I can throw this thing out, along with the LCII, and bring out my nice HP Pavilion CRT monitor. 512x384 is fun, but it's NOT built for the internet, modern applications, and only Macintosh LCII programs. lol. I want to get the video card (or the adaptor for cheap $5) and a USB reader.

Here's what I tried doing yesterday with my PC cards. I tried using my Ethernet 10/100 Gigabit card from the one that came shipped [there were two, the standard and a PC card one] and the one in my Pavilion (it's a Linksys Etherfast Card). I also have a Creative Labs CT8410? card I wanted to use for MIDI recording music and sound. Is there any way to get these two cards compatible with the G3, or do I need to specifically go out and buy Macintosh cards? I'd hate to waste more money, but if I have to, I will. I'm already on a roll spending only $25 on a desktop computer. haha

EDIT: Also, the Energy Savings Control Panel still reads 30 minutes for computer sleep and you can set the monitor time to whatever you want (obviously the RGB monitor doesn't have this feature as it requires you to turn it off manually). The hard drive also is quieter and seems to be the only thing that turns off when I choose it to sleep. My Pavilion computer used to turn everything off, including fans and was built again around the time this computer was manufactured. I want to say the built-in ethernet card is 100base because it's really fast for some reason. Either way, the internet doesn't work with the other cards. I don't know how MPSchool got their card to work before and after I got this. And the monitor looks awesome!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

I just checked Energy Saver in SheepShaver quickly and this is what mine looks like, presumably yours is the same, so it looks as though 30-60 minutes is the available timeout for sleep, you can't set it to less than that. The screen and hard drive can be set separately and the screen can be as little as 5 minutes:

I would probably stick with Mac ethernet cards to be on the safe side - are both of the ones you have PC ones? MacTracker says 10baseT for the built-in though and I've heard that elsewhere so I'd be surprised if yours is 100baseT - remember that 10baseT is still faster than most internet connections though so it doesn't especially matter. USB PCI cards from PCs work though and I'm using the new thin Apple Keyboard and the old dark blue Pro Mouse with mine to make a more modern Mac experience, and yes, the memory is just 168-pin SDRAM so is pretty standard stuff.

I have the Radeon Mac Edition, the original model of Radeon, and it's not a bad card at all - 9xxx-series cards work in the G3 but are not very compatible with OS 9, only X, and the 7000 is newer but not actually as good as the original Radeon. Be sure to get a Mac version of the card though, they cost a lot more as they're rarer but PC ones won't work unless you flash them - if buying from eBay check it's an original Mac Edition card and not a flashed PC one to ensure reliability and that you're not paying over the odds for someone's hack job - I was annoyed about having to pay for a graphics card as I just couldn't find a free one anywhere whereas old PC cards are easy to pick up, and the Mac itself was a freebie, but it is worth it in the end, especially for OS X ;) (the built-in graphics doesn't even work with OS X 10.3 or 10.4) Please don't chuck out the LC II though, they're cool little machines to have even if rather slow and limited nowadays! :)

Non Apple-logoed CD drives are variable - most will work to some extent but not all will burn and not all will boot the Mac OS X install disc - I've got a Sony one as they are similar to the ones Apple use and so works fine (the original drive actually had problems reading my CD-Rs of Tiger whereas this one is fine).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:25 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, that's exactly what it looks like! :) I guess laptops are different, but that's okay with me I guess.

My only issue is I want the Video Card. It doesn't have to be all that, but I need something that has VGA and FAST. lol. It would be cool to play Halo on this thing as well, but that's just an extra thing to deal with later.

Right now, I ported stuff from the old hard drive to the new one, and I guess Microsoft Word now asks for the license product key, which I don't have since I don't own a copy of 2001 Office for Mac. :| I hate searching for keys online, so maybe I'll get the hard drive out and find the file that contains the preferences for it.

So here is my outlook:
1. Buy Radeon Video Graphics Card: Less than $50.
2. Buy USB PCI Card: Less than $10.
3. Find a MIDI Out PCI Card: ?????

Any tips for finding such a card, or would I need some sort of adaptor for the midi connection? I know there is a serial port and SCSI or whatever, but I'm not sure exactly...I know Mac OS was big for recording music back in the Classic days, but I don't know about now. I might be safe finding a MIDI to USB cord, who knows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 pm 
FTP Access

You may be able to play Halo if you install OS X (it's not for OS 9), not sure what the system requirements were - they probably recommended a G4 for it (which I would recommend too, great CPU and means you can run iLife '08, possibly even Leopard) but it should at least run on the G3 with a reasonable video card - I can play Unreal Tournament and Quake III under Tiger on mine :) (only have the Windows Halo so haven't been able to try that)

Let me know if you need any software or keys for Mac, including some Office 2001 (latest version that runs under OS 9) product keys ;)

No idea on the MIDI card though I'm afraid, I haven't got anything like that for mine - looking on eBay for "mac midi" there's a lot of USB MIDI cables that say they work with OS X so you could maybe try one of those.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

hmm, I don't really want to abandon the Mac OS 9 OS...I got Word to work by randomly typing in numbers and the key worked. lol. Halo requires G3 and OS X 10.2.8 [lol, coincidence?]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Weird - the Office 2001 keys do look like the old short keys like Windows 95 had, did the all-1s trick work or something like that?

OS 9 and OS X will happily co-exist on the same machine if you want both, I have both on mine (it will boot OS X by default and you hold the Option key at startup or use the Startup Disk control panel to get OS 9) - I would recommend you load Tiger and all the new Mac software onto there as they are awesome machines, you're not experiencing their full potential if you only run the old OS 9 and its software on there! ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:44 am 
FTP Access

Actually, the numbers I typed in at random were [and to prevent any legal issues, I'll block out the first three numbers, even though they were random as well]: ***-5464565. And it worked like magic. No clue why, unless my fingers are cool or something. lol.

I found this one great site that had an application I found very useful for converting a ton of sounds from one type to the standard "System 7 Sound" as well as a Windows WAV file type. Brings back a lot of memories from the 80s with these sounds, like a "Coke Is It!" Theme song. haha

Also, how does Mac OS X 10.2.8 run on the G3? I do have Panther lying around on a CD somewhere, but I get bored with its UI so quickly. lol

EDIT: Also, I found an eBay user selling ATI Radeon 7000 PCI Video Cards for about $0.00. It says it is guaranteed to work for a Macintosh [they list the different versions] but according to Low-End Mac.com, they are "flashed." Is this bad? I remember you mentioning about it, but I don't think they were once Windows PC cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-ATI-Radeon-7000 ... ingPayment

I just want to get rid of 512x384 FAST! lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:49 am 
FTP Access

It would be worth clarifying with the seller - he's using the Radeon Mac Edition logo at the top of the listing which implies it is a genuine Mac card, not a PC one flashed with the Mac card's firmware, but it would be worth making sure by asking if it's a genuine Mac card that started out as one. A PC one flashed to a Mac one should work if done properly but some say they are less reliable and also you're paying for a hacked junked PC card rather than the rare Mac card.

10.2.8 was the last version of OS X officially supported on the Beige G3, although it doesn't actually work any more reliably than the later versions as these OldWorld Macs were never "supported" by OS X that well - you can get just as many installation oddities with the supported as unsupported versions. Also, the later versions were actually more optimised and should run faster than the old Jaguar, plus no recent OS X software will run on 10.2, so you would be much better off installing Tiger, which is fast, modern, and easy to install on the Beigey :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:26 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
It would be worth clarifying with the seller - he's using the Radeon Mac Edition logo at the top of the listing which implies it is a genuine Mac card, not a PC one flashed with the Mac card's firmware, but it would be worth making sure by asking if it's a genuine Mac card that started out as one. A PC one flashed to a Mac one should work if done properly but some say they are less reliable and also you're paying for a hacked junked PC card rather than the rare Mac card.

10.2.8 was the last version of OS X officially supported on the Beige G3, although it doesn't actually work any more reliably than the later versions as these OldWorld Macs were never "supported" by OS X that well - you can get just as many installation oddities with the supported as unsupported versions. Also, the later versions were actually more optimised and should run faster than the old Jaguar, plus no recent OS X software will run on 10.2, so you would be much better off installing Tiger, which is fast, modern, and easy to install on the Beigey :)
let me tell you what he sent back to me:

This is a converted PC card, and functions exactly as the original; the easy way to tell the difference is an original Mac card is limited to 32MB, whereas this has twice the VRAM at 64MB.

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about and it does come with a 1 year warranty. So should I get it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:20 pm 
FTP Access

It's up to you really - the card will probably be fine but you may want the reassurance of a genuine card designed for Mac at the factory, and you may or may not be happy paying $50 for a card that you could pick up for nothing/next-to-nothing as a stock PC card and flash yourself (I haven't done this but if you're confident with hardware you could do it). Presumably ATI never sold the Mac Edition of the 7000 in a 64 MB version, which is what the seller and Low End Mac are referring to.

The card itself is a good choice, especially if you want to use OS 9 extensively as the later cards (9xxx) are faster but less compatible with 9 (as I think the seller of this one notes) - the original Radeon is better than the 7000 but I doubt the difference is significant plus this comes with twice the Vram. You will also never get Quartz Extreme on the Beige as it only runs with AGP cards, even if the card itself is capable of it (which Radeons are), so there's not that much point getting a more powerful card.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:42 am 
FTP Access

Okay, I bought the card, but I don't plan on using any hard graphics software or games for now, but at least I know it will be available to me. Once this is all cleared out, I'm making an image out of all the software, documents, sounds, games, etc. from the 40MB SCSI hard drive from my Macintosh LCII and using vMac to emulate the computer for me. The contents will fit easily on a Zip Drive, along with a emulated Disk Copy drive. :) I did try putting the SCSI drive in my G3, but the cable was way to small to keep it in there. Plus, it would just be wasting power and space. Thus, I plan on either trashing the LCII, or selling it for cheap at a local pawn broker, because we need more room in our house, or so I'm told. :P

Next, I was thinking about Mac OS X Server 1.0 on this computer, but I would need your personal opinion of it, or anyone's. I know it does NetBoot, hosting sites easily, and runs great on a G3. However, would I still be able to return to my Mac OS 9.2.2 OS whenever I needed to run those applications? I know a little bit about blue box, yellow box, etc., but not enough to understand the difference just yet. I remember reading you could run Mac OS 8.5 in a blue box mode, but I don't know if that's like an Emulated Window or something, or the actual application running side by side with your Server applications.

Lastly, do you know where I could find a copy of this? I believe it is still considered "warez," but most modern applications do not run on it, and I do believe Mac OS X 10.3.9 support is fading out day by day. Any support would be great!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:01 pm 
FTP Access

I haven't used OS X Server 1.x on mine but it should run, and I assume it works in the same way as "regular" OS X ie you can boot into 9 or X at your choice (holding Option boots 9, otherwise it boots X, or you can use the Startup Disk control panel). You could always give it a try and get rid of it if it doesn't work out :)

Yes, support for 10.3.9 is dropping off now, but 10.4.11 is still well supported so I suggest putting that on your Beige - it should even be able to co-exist with both 9 and OS X Server 1.x (just make sure they're all on different partitions, though OS X has to be on the first partition of the master drive and that partition has to be smaller than 8 GB - if this also applies to Server 1.x (not sure as they are slightly different) then of course you will only be able to have one OS X installed per IDE bus)

I think there is maybe a copy of OS X Server 1.x on one of the servers here somewhere, have a look and see if you can find it - I have 1.2 somewhere that I downloaded from somewhere a while ago, and I can't think where else it would have come from!

LC IIs are tiny machines, you could always stash it in a drawer and say you've got rid of it ;) (you could trash the grotty old screen and just keep the actual computer, and the keyboard/mouse) - Macs are too god to waste! Or put it on eBay with a very low stating price, someone would probably get it and give it a good home :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:12 pm 
FTP Access

I was thinking about getting rid of the monitor, but then how else would I be able to read the contents of the LCII, since it accepts DB-15 monitor connections. All of my monitors at home have only VGA inputs. Regardless, the LCII is VERY cool, in fact, I was able to remove all the parts from the motherboard and in reality, the motherboard is VERY small! And it's the cleanest computer we've had to date (very little dust inside, even if it was made in 1992!). I'm only disappointed they don't make computers like those nowadays where anyone can easily get inside and mess with it without having to screw off a bunch of nails, bolts, screws, etc. The thing requires only your hands and no screwdriver!

I'll have to take a look at the FTP server today for Mac OS X Server 1.0. I want it because it looks like Mac OS 9, but has the extra "server" capabilities, like Terminal, Command Prompts, etc. The only reason why I don't want Tiger is because I don't want Aqua on it nor do I really need a good Internet Browser. I have a MacBook Pro for that luxury. (H)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

Forget Tiger, I got Leopard working on mine this morning, at last! :D :D It's really cool, the old machine runs it pretty nicely considering it's a 10 year old Mac! :)

Tiger is still a good choice though if you don't have a G4 card for it, I always think it's not really getting the most out of these awesome machines if you don't run something like Tiger or Leopard on them :P

Yes, OS X Server 1.x is basically OS X but with the Classic interface. Try all the servers here, it may well not have been the "official" server.

Well even if you can't use the LC II it's still better than throwing it out ;) And you can always get another monitor for it when you have more space ;) There's plenty of adapters round for using a PC monitor with a DB-15 Mac anyway, as we said before, although I'm not sure if all modern LCD monitors will work nicely with the LC - I tried one of my Studio Displays (the one I linked to above) with an LC II once and it made weird patterns on the screen and then the screen wouldn't turn off without pulling the plug out, so I stopped for fear of breaking the screen! (that may have just been the LC II dying though, as it doesn't seem to work any more and didn't chime when I tried that either) Those old screens are great for older (and newer, with an adapter) Macs though as they have the DB-15 connector yet look really funky and modern :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Forget Tiger, I got Leopard working on mine this morning, at last! :D :D It's really cool, the old machine runs it pretty nicely considering it's a 10 year old Mac! :)

Tiger is still a good choice though if you don't have a G4 card for it, I always think it's not really getting the most out of these awesome machines if you don't run something like Tiger or Leopard on them :P

Yes, OS X Server 1.x is basically OS X but with the Classic interface. Try all the servers here, it may well not have been the "official" server.

Well even if you can't use the LC II it's still better than throwing it out ;) And you can always get another monitor for it when you have more space ;) There's plenty of adapters round for using a PC monitor with a DB-15 Mac anyway, as we said before, although I'm not sure if all modern LCD monitors will work nicely with the LC - I tried one of my Studio Displays (the one I linked to above) with an LC II once and it made weird patterns on the screen and then the screen wouldn't turn off without pulling the plug out, so I stopped for fear of breaking the screen! (that may have just been the LC II dying though, as it doesn't seem to work any more and didn't chime when I tried that either) Those old screens are great for older (and newer, with an adapter) Macs though as they have the DB-15 connector yet look really funky and modern :)

You could even build one as the ones I've seen don't work too well (too many dip switches trying to take over). All it really requires is some rewiring and you're on your way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Okay, so I got the ATI Radeon 7000 Series Video Card in the mail today and quickly stuck it in. After a few driver downloads, the thing works flawlessly! And best of all, no more 512x384! :)

I guess the only thing left to do is find a copy of Mac OS X Server 1.0 and install on this system. I really do like the Rhapsody look, so if anyone could point me to a server that has it, that would be great. If all else fails, I have a copy of Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther I could install [for internet reasons purely since Mac OS 9 has outdated browsers], but I believe I would need XPostFacto or whatever to install that.

Thanks for all your help,
Troy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

Cool :) I'm afraid I don't remember where I got the OS X Server 1.2 from, it was quite a long time ago, though I think MrPijey's FTP had it on before he made it betas-only (pretty much every OS ever produced was on there) so maybe you could ask him if it could be temporarily reinstated for you to download ;) 10.3 and 10.4 need XPostFacto, yes, but it's really easy to use so don't be put off by it!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 pm 
FTP Access

Okay, I found this really neat site for running "Ubuntu" Linux on an old Beige G3 computer. However, it work the same with Xbuntu, which should run a little faster. All I need to do is a little reading and messing around with the hard drive to get it to work, but who knows.

The site is here:
http://www.gifford.co.uk/~coredump/beigeg3.htm

I figured it would be "more legal" to run Linux on my machine anyways. 8-|

Top  Profile