BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 21h, 9m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 6135MB of 11026MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: SPARC notebook computer - Hooking up HDD, Which OS?        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 pm 
FTP Access

Finally, I have another notebook computer used in mid-90s in army as high performance portable machine. It's Tadpole SparcBook T3 with 170MHz SPARC CPU, 128MB of RAM, really heavy case (magnesium alloy) and nice working battery. I have also a IBM ThinkPad Power Series 850. There are no hard drives inside these computers, and 2.5" SCSI drives are not popular.
There is a small SCSI connector on the rear panel. You can see it labeled "Micro D 50 female" here: http://www.blackbox.com/files/applicationdiagrams/scsi-connectors4.gif
I can buy a cable, this connector to normal Centronics SCSI.
Now, I want to connect a laptop to SCSI drive case using this cable. Inside a case, there is a SCSI 50-pin ribbon cable connector, so HDD / CD-R(W) / other SCSI device may be hooked up easily.
Will this soultion work for these laptops?

Another thing is an OS. IBM Power Series runs WinNT 4 or OS/2-PPC in beta stage.
What should I try for Tadpole? Which version of Solaris? Where to buy or download it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:07 pm 
Donator

I have a scsi external enclosure that about a foot away from me that uses a cable that connects to these ports. They aren't hard to find... most people that have them have no use for them anymore.

As for the sparcbook, the best you can get on it would be Solaris 9, which was the last solaris to support a 32bit sparc. Now, the 170mhz Fujitsu manufactured Turbosparc (a supposed replacement for Sun's hyperparc line) was a weird one, and even the sparcstations that shipped with them had strange hardware and quirky software support because of the significant architectural differences.

The limited experience I had with a Sparcbook was that Sun didn't totally support the hardware out of the box, and usually each type of hardware had patches that came from Tadpole.

NetBSD and OpenBSD will work on it great (FreeBSD does not support sparc32). In terms of linux, you are pretty much out of luck. I believe Debian is the last distro to keep anything up to date. Other than that, there are the not-so-good projects Splack (slackware clone) and Aurora (redhat clone).

It has been a long time since I've got to play with one of these, so please keep us posted on what you get done with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:20 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Given this laptops slow speed it may do you good to try to figure out how to use NetBSD on the laptop...

I can't quite find a link for Solaris 9 but I am sure its on the FTP here.

What I would try is finding the orginal software that came with your laptop and install that version. Given the date, we are probably talking about Solaris 2 or 3...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

It's Solaris 2.5 or 2.6, and there are drivers for these versions on Tadpole's FTP.
Unfortunately these versions are unreachable.

Top  Profile  WWW