BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 13h, 52m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 1985MB of 4499MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Which should I buy: Macbook or PC        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 pm 
Donator

I know that it is quite debatable as to whether Macs or PCs are better on the OS side. However, that is not what I am concerned about here. I am wondering what hardware is best for me to buy. If I purchased a MacBook, I would buy the $1300 version with the SuperDrive. However, I am concerned that it is a bit much to pay, especially because of the integrated graphics. My other option is a PC. If I were to get a PC, which would be the best brand/model to buy?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 pm 
Donator

Do you mean PC or Laptop?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

The MacBook is a lot more expensive than better-specified PCs, it's only worth it if you really really want the ability to run OS X without hacks or like the looks/logo. I'd look at Dell Vostro laptops (from the small business section) if you're after a laptop, I have one and they are cheap, well-specified and seem solidly-built.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 pm 

assuming you mean a laptop, rather than a desktop, a Windows machine, $-for-performance, is far better than a macbook, you get a lot more for your money.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Unless you're desperate to run OSX on an apple-labeled product or have money to burn, I'd say a PC is the better value option.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 am 
Donator

Just to clarify, I meant a MacBook or a PC Notebook.

I really kinda want the stylish looks of the macbook and the apple branded product. I need someone to talk me outta it ;-) .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:34 am 
FTP Access

Personally, I love my MacBook Pro and believe it was worth its investment. However, everyone has their own opinions. [I've been meaning to write a review for this thing for a while now.]

If you go with the Laptop decision, just realize that you still have the ability to run multiple versions of Windows and Linux on the same machine. Apple's products limit support to only Windows XP and Vista, so be aware that if you are putting 2000 on it, it probably won't work.

Next, always look at what you are getting when you buy the product, rather than the price. If you want a basic laptop, then the MacBook is NOT what you want. If you want a laptop that has a promising battery life, bluetooth, wireless N, designer looks, easiness, and don't mind have a little bit of disk space compared to other laptops, then the MacBook might be for you. If you are a powerful gamer (as in 2008 games running Grand Theft Auto IV or World of WarCraft), you may want to upgrade to the MacBook Pro, or simply finding a laptop around 1,000 that focuses on gaming.

If you are really that obsessed over the price of the MacBook for being too high, consider this: If you are going to be a student at a High School or a college of higher education, you may recieve a discount for attending it, along with possibly getting yourself a free printer up to 100 dollars, and an iPod touch/nano up to $300. I saved roughly a total of $600, along with free shipping that came within 3 days after the purchase!

Remember that your options are always open and the only way to find the perfect laptop for youself is not through the power of the price, but through research. Take a look at user reviews, any possible defects with the hardware, and if it is worth your time and price. So far, I haven't had any issues with my MacBook Pro and love the iPhone multi-touch features, and I'm not sure if the regular MacBook comes with it. Either way, Boot Camp transfers these features into Vista and XP so it's like you're running your Mac in XP kinda when scrolling through websites.

Any other questions? Just reply back or send a PM.
Troy

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am 
I would go for a PC, but then again, I'm not you, so the best decision might be to go with whichever one you're more comfortable with OS wise.

Though MacBooks are expeeeeensive!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm 
Donator

troyoda1990 wrote:
If you are really that obsessed over the price of the MacBook for being too high, consider this: If you are going to be a student at a High School or a college of higher education, you may recieve a discount for attending it, along with possibly getting yourself a free printer up to 100 dollars, and an iPod touch/nano up to $300. I saved roughly a total of $600, along with free shipping that came within 3 days after the purchase!

I would get that discount (ipod), however I am not sure if I want to buy it right away because chances are there will be a new one sometime in September/October.

troyoda1990 wrote:
Remember that your options are always open and the only way to find the perfect laptop for youself is not through the power of the price, but through research. Take a look at user reviews, any possible defects with the hardware, and if it is worth your time and price. So far, I haven't had any issues with my MacBook Pro and love the iPhone multi-touch features, and I'm not sure if the regular MacBook comes with it. Either way, Boot Camp transfers these features into Vista and XP so it's like you're running your Mac in XP kinda when scrolling through websites.

I have done lots of research, and read user reviews (it does have multitouch).

Thanks for that post, it was great. :) I just still have something thats telling me to get a PC...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I would say go with whatever machine you will use primarily and the software you would use for it. Its no good buying a Mac if you have all your current software for PC. Unless of course you want to change and buy all the same software for the Mac or install Windows on the Mac, in which case you might as well have a PC! :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:33 pm 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
I need someone to talk me outta it ;-) .

My Dell Vostro:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz
2 GB Ram
DVD-RW
GeForce 8400 with 128 MB dedicated memory
120 GB hard drive
15.4" 1440x900 screen
Windows Vista Business (can run OS X according to InsanelyMac, didn't bother on mine as the HD is small and my main PC has it anyway, plus it would be hard with one hard drive as you'd need to get it into the Windows boot loader rather than just selecting the HD to boot from with the BIOS like I do on the Hack Pro and I don't think vanilla installs can be put into the Windows boot menu)
£440 (UK price I paid a few months ago, including delivery and taxes)

Basic white MacBook, taken from Apple Store UK today:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10 Ghz
OS X Leopard (can run Windows, no activation included though)
1 GB Ram
CD-RW/DVD-ROM (!)
Crappy integrated graphics/shared with total 1 GB Ram
120 GB hard drive
13.2" 1280x800 screen
£700

Does that do the trick? :P Honestly, OS X is awesome and while the real Apple machines are nice (especially the MBP), the MacBook is very overpriced.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I agree with the above. My new laptop which I got after selling the Macbook was under £400 and it has:

Intel Core2Duo 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
2GB DDR2 RAM
120GB HD
Windows XP Pro, but runs Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 perfectly
DVD-Multi
Intel Mobile X3100, which will play a few average spec games (like C&C generals, BF1942, etc)

I agree with the overpriced-ness of the Mac Books.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 pm 
Donator

you can get a really good notebook at the price of a usable macbook.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
If you are careful about which laptop you pick, you can always run OSX86 on it. I've heard that Dell Vostros make good laptop-based Hackintoshes. The implementation is not exactly perfect, but I hear it's pretty stable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:47 pm 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
I've heard that Dell Vostros make good laptop-based Hackintoshes. The implementation is not exactly perfect, but I hear it's pretty stable.

The WiFi will not work unless you are confident enough to open the machine and replace the card with a compatible one, but they are said to work otherwise - as I said, setting up the boot menu would be tricky with any single-HD machine though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:16 pm 
Donator

I've decided to wait until the end of September to see if there is a new MacBook announcment. I'll make my decision then. If you want to add input, feel free. I'll take it into consideration.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I need someone to talk me outta it ;-) .

My Dell Vostro:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz
2 GB Ram
DVD-RW
GeForce 8400 with 128 MB dedicated memory
120 GB hard drive
15.4" 1440x900 screen
Windows Vista Business (can run OS X according to InsanelyMac, didn't bother on mine as the HD is small and my main PC has it anyway, plus it would be hard with one hard drive as you'd need to get it into the Windows boot loader rather than just selecting the HD to boot from with the BIOS like I do on the Hack Pro and I don't think vanilla installs can be put into the Windows boot menu)
£440 (UK price I paid a few months ago, including delivery and taxes)

Basic white MacBook, taken from Apple Store UK today:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10 Ghz
OS X Leopard (can run Windows, no activation included though)
1 GB Ram
CD-RW/DVD-ROM (!)
Crappy integrated graphics/shared with total 1 GB Ram
120 GB hard drive
13.2" 1280x800 screen
£700

Does that do the trick? :P Honestly, OS X is awesome and while the real Apple machines are nice (especially the MBP), the MacBook is very overpriced.

Not exactly a fair price comparison. The Macbook also has a 13" screen and weighs less (as well as a longer battery life). The Dell may have a video card, but it's a bad one in my book.

Just keep in mind that the Macbook is a small laptop and that does have a big influence on the price, as well as the Apple tax.

I have a Macbook Pro, and I love it. If I had to make the choice again, it would still be the Macbook Pro.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:49 pm 
FTP Access

Are you saying the 13" screen is a good thing then? I prefer the larger and higher-resolution screen of the Dell but I guess you might want a smaller one if you want it to take up less space in your bag.

Yeh, the video card isn't a great one compared to what you'd have in a desktop PC or expensive laptop like the MBP, but it certainly beats any integrated graphics and for the price isn't a bad laptop card, most £400 laptops have integrated graphics.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I prefer a larger screen these days with a higher resolution. I often find one screen isn't enough! I'm going to get dual monitors for my desktop PC in the end I think because one just isn't cutting it now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I'm going to get dual monitors for my desktop PC in the end I think because one just isn't cutting it now.

You do only have a 17" or something though don't you? I knew you'd soon regret getting something so small! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Are you saying the 13" screen is a good thing then? I prefer the larger and higher-resolution screen of the Dell but I guess you might want a smaller one if you want it to take up less space in your bag.

I'm not saying that the 13" screen is a good thing. I'm also not saying it's a bad thing. I am saying that it DOES make the laptop more expensive. The smaller the laptop, generally, the laptop will be more expensive. Sure, there are exceptions. But these small laptops are generally always going to be more expensive than a laptop of comparable specs that's larger.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to screen size. It all depends on what YOU want and what YOU need.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:34 pm 
Go with a PC notebook, way to propiatery with MAC.