BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 16h, 38m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5749MB of 10721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Smarmy or not        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I read a topic on another forum today about when you go into a store such as Currys, or PC world etc you get approached by a salesman asking things like "Do you need any help?/Can I help you with anything?" etc. It really gets on my pecks when they do this to me.

Now apparently people from Curry's have been trained to say, not the lines above, but simply "What brings you into the store today?". Its designed to stop the pre-programmed response of "Just browsing/Just looking today/My feet" (OK maybe not the last one!).

Anyway despite that it still annoys the hell out of me when they come up to you and ask whatever question it is they ask to try and help make a sale. I mean think about it. If I -want- your help, I'll -ask- for it! Otherwise leave me alone to browse your shop and find what I want. Infact sometimes I go into a shop not wanting anything and I browse around and end up buying something I like the look of.

What annoys me even more is when you get asked by one, and you reply, then a few minutes later another comes up to you, then another and another until you say "sod this, I'm leaving the store!". And I have to say I've done that on more than one occasion. My Dad gets in a bad mood every time he goes shopping because of them and now he hates shopping in such shops!

Does this get on anyone else's nerves or is it just me? 8-|

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:24 am 
Donator

What really annoy's me is the way they target people over the age of about 40, and try to rip them off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am 
Donator

I think first time, something fresh is good. I'd personally consider the mentioned greeting as very professional and friendly, if it sounded sincere.

Anymore than the first person I would get annoyed. Anymore than two people I'd write a letter. That's what I usually do when a business annoys me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 am 
Donator

It annoys me too. Especially in Apple stores, when most of the time I just want to play on the hardware, normally 2+ store guys ask me if I need help.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
What really annoy's me is the way they target people over the age of about 40, and try to rip them off.

I saw that just on Sunday (at OFficeworks, your in Australia you should know what it is :P)

There was some couple buying a laptop for their daughter and I could hear the guy, even though I was way over in the printer/catridges section, and he's talking about how these two laptops had the same processor (adding random numbers onto said processors) yet one had DDR2 800 KINGSTON RAM. Theyre like wtf?

In the end they bought the cheaper laptop but they nearly paid a few hundred more for the _exact same laptop_ (specs wise)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
In Norway this is pretty uncommon, unless you try to get their attention they will leave you alone. At least at mall stores or big stores. Smaller stores often ask you if you're looking for something, which is fine since I usually am. Like where I buy computer parts is just a ~20 square meter store with one guy watching the store, or where I but photo equipment is not much bigger (though with more people).

Turkey is really bad with this, at least in tourist areas they come up to you saying I love Norway! and try to get you to buy something.
On the other hand they will often offer you apple tea, which is delicious.

How annoying it is is IMO determined by how much effort it takes to enter the store, at a mall you can walk in and out of stores so browsing random stores takes a lot less effort than entering a regular store. Therefore welcoming you to the store and asking if you need assistance is often the proper thing to do since presumably you didn't wander into the store by accident.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:09 pm 
FTP Access

KCLiVES wrote:
It annoys me too. Especially in Apple stores, when most of the time I just want to play on the hardware, normally 2+ store guys ask me if I need help.

I've always found the Apple Store to be great, they never hassle you at all in ours and you can stay there playing with all the Macs, iPhones etc as long as you like, and also all the hardware is just there for you to try out and with free internet access unlike in shops like PC World where all the computers are usually running some full-screen demo that can't be exited or are logged out with a password. I'd never buy something from somewhere like PC World, they sell rubbish computers at high prices, and have clueless staff who are just there to sell you an overpriced extended warranty and copy of Norton :P The Apple Store on the other hand is actually an enjoyable place to visit I find :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:09 pm 
Donator

I was waiting in line at a jb-hifi once (games/music/electronic store) and I overheard an older woman talking to one of those greaseballs about how she had bought blank dvd's and how they would not work with her pc for some reason. From what she described, it was obvious that her pc did Not actually have a dvd drive, but the clerk just kept insisting that she should buy the more expensive disks, and kept trying to flog her one of those Verbatim 50 disk spindles. :x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
Hahahaha Craig that's amazing :) Love it!
I can remember two rather great PC world conversations;

1. Returning a Linksys WRT-54GS router, under warranty, patched the firmware and broke it (not like their staff would ever know that :p)

Employee: "Hi can I help you?"
Me: "Yes I'd like to return this router for a replacement please."
Employee: "Did you try unplugging it then plugging it back in and waiting 5 minutes?"
Me: "Yes."
Employee: "So it's just f***ed then?"
Me: "Yeah pretty much"
Employee: "Ok i'll get you a replacement."

2. Browsing hard drives

Employee: "Hi can I help you?"
Me: "Yes, I was wondering how much more this 80 gig hard drive will weigh when it's full rather than empty."
Employee: "Oh. I don't know, I'll get a manager to help you."
Me....waiting....
Manager: "Hi can I help you?"
Me (again): "Yes, I was wondering how much more this 80 gig hard drive will weigh when it's full rather than empty."
Manager: "Ah! I'm not certain but I'm sure no more than a few pounds."

- Never go to PC world unless it's you trying to do the scamming, at least their idiotic staff help for something :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:53 am 
FTP Access

In stores with high-end and expensive items (such as electronics stores), it's a loss prevention technique. People are less likely to shoplift if there are employees constantly hounding them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I'd say PC World's security is enough put off all but the most determined thieves anyway. There;s certainly no opportunity for opportunistic theft even without the staff hounding you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:55 pm 
Donator

the computer stores here in Canada don't really have any security guards, we have one guy who does a store downtown who doesn't like anyone, another guy who just cheats on his taxes, and the ones closer to the south end don't really have any problems with people hehe

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]