BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 20h, 41m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5730MB of 10768MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: British climber dies in Alps fall        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:38 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
British climber dies in Alps fall

Quote:
A 19-year-old British man has plunged 160ft to his death in the French Alps.

Ian Jackson, from Guisborough near Middlesbrough, fell 49m from a rock face near Chamonix. He died on board a rescue helicopter heading to Geneva.

A French police spokesman said there had been a "big technical mistake", with Mr Jackson abseiling with one rope instead of two on Les Gaillands crag.

The police spokesman said the teenager's two friends were watching from below at the time of the accident, at about 1600 local time (1500 BST).

He said "a big technical mistake" was made during the climb.

"When you abseil you must take two ropes and he only took one rope," the spokesman said.

"The helicopter came but it was too late. He fell a lot of metres. He had no chance."

Source and more:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7548618.stm

You're probably wondering why I posted this. Well its simple. He was a friend from college. I didn't know him well but never-the-less he was a friend. He came camping with me and some friends a few times, and I even went climbing and caving with him myself a few times too. I used to go to his parent's fish and chip shop for lunch most days while I was in college. He wasn't a popular person but he had a lot of friends and was well known for his climbing abilities. Its such a shame he had to lose his life so soon and in doing something he enjoyed.

Rest in peace Ian. We will all miss you.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
R.I.P.

I am sorry for you loss.

On another note:
There have been many deads lately on the mountains.
Italians and Dutch persons have died.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]