BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 22h, 56m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 5605MB of 10927MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Computer just died        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Yep, my main desktop box, kaput, gone. That's the one with all of my downloaded OSes on it as well. Might be able to salvage it, but not counting on it.

I feel so bad! It just was attacked by a virus, and I rebooted (like a fool) to try and clear the memory, and BSOD! Try to reinstall XP, and it goes; err BSOD! Can't write to the HDD, so no swapfile. All my best and rarest software was on there, too!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Well that sucks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:03 am 
Donator

you should try GetDataBack for NTFS

It does wonders for recovering old stuff, but if you got another computer and a way to read that hard drive you could get the data off it of the old and rare software, thats how I got Tabworks off the one dying hard drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:05 am 
Donator

Yes, if possible, try putting it into another computer and getting your stuff off it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't pick favorites.
Viruses, sad chaos like creations by idiot programmers who have nothing better to do than create virual mass-destruction and havoc for unsuspecting computer users like us... I hope the person who created that virus is in prison, and that you get all of your data back. Try plugging your HDD up to another computer if possible, but don't boot from it. Good luck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:56 am 
Donator

dont run any exe or installers from that hdd. the virus might infested some of the exes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:22 am 
Donator

I doubt a virus "killed" your hardware. Once you get your stuff off of it, if you manage to, format the drive and try to install XP again. If it still doesn't work then chances are that it wasn't a virus that ruined your computer but a hardware failure. Just chance that you got a virus right before your hardware failed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:20 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Have you tried any of the myriad of Linux Boot CDs?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I've got loads of Linux CDs, but can't install without blitzing the hard disk. I have an old 20GB drive with Ubuntu 6 on it, that I kept as a backup. Might be able to get all my VMs and ISOs and whatnot off it. Fingers crossed :).

EDIT: I've just set up the Ubuntu box to try and recover files, and as I thought it can't be done. The GetDataBack program looks really good - however it seems to be Windows-only and costs $79. Is there a free, Linux equivalent out there?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:30 pm 
Donator

He meant using a Live distro. There are lots of distros that you can run right off of the CD.

As for recovery software in Linux, I have no idea. I've used GetDataBack, Zero Assumption Recovery, and EasyRecovery Professional. All work relatively well.

Can you browse the hard-drive in Ubuntu? You should be able to see everything on the drive unless there is actually damage to the information on it or the hardware itself. A virus normally wouldn't make the information unreadable. I know that Ubuntu 8.04 has NTFS drivers. If it can't read the drive, try adding it into a Windows machine and at least doing a chkdsk from there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE (Build 2222)
marktuson wrote:
I've got loads of Linux CDs, but can't install without blitzing the hard disk. I have an old 20GB drive with Ubuntu 6 on it, that I kept as a backup. Might be able to get all my VMs and ISOs and whatnot off it. Fingers crossed :).

EDIT: I've just set up the Ubuntu box to try and recover files, and as I thought it can't be done. The GetDataBack program looks really good - however it seems to be Windows-only and costs $79. Is there a free, Linux equivalent out there?

There's a program called PhotoRec that will recover your data, even if the filesystem is damaged because it ignores the filesystem and goes after the data. I was even able to recover from accidental formats with this wonderful program! It supports over 100 file formats including VMWare VMs and all of the formats I know of for ISOs.

get it at: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I'm ahead of you :). Found TestDisk and it works like a dream. Been restoring files for several hours now. Going to have to be careful, because the drive I wans to save is twice the size as my backup drive, so I'm going to have to do it in lumps :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:30 am 
Donator

So you can't just view files on the hard-drive and copy them off that way? The file system is actually damaged?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Yes I can, like I said, but it'll take time because of the volume of data there is. I've just done 15GB today.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:06 am 
Donator

If the file system isn't damaged, why are you using PhotoRec?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
The partition table was ruined, which means files access was impossible unless I rebuilt it, which is what TestDisk does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Try Partition Table Doctor to fix the partition table. Either that or just making a huge NTFS partition and not formatting it, that could give you access to the files again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
What I'm doing at the moment seems to work fine at the moment, thanks :).

I'm putting XP pro onto the backup drive now, and I'll copy the whole drive to my dad's Maxtor tomorrow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:21 am 
I would suggest using another machine (unless you don't have a spare) to find out exactly what viruses are on your machine (on the Internet - F-Secure is a very good place to start), and using the Recovery Console to remove the virus' files (it can remove files that are hidden or inaccessible under the GUI).

But if what you're doing now is working for you, then you don't really need to do this (but I'll leave this here in case someone else has a similar problem).