BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 22h, 26m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 2658MB of 4561MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Running a forum        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I run the forum for the George Formby Society, and have just been given a rollocking by a regular member for having it about me to enforce the rules!

It was a spelling/grammar/punctuation rule that was broken, and when I asked, politely, that correct punctuation was used, the person had another go at me. Do admins have no authority any more?

I quoted the same rule from here to illustrate that I'm not the only one who doesn't like to see badly composed messages.

The thread can be seen at http://the-resonator.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=718&p=1616#p1616, please tell me if you think I've been harsh, or what.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am 
Donator

Of course you've been too harsh.
As per http://the-resonator.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1597#p1597:

rono wrote:
PS SORRY IF I MADE ANY SPELLING ERRORS BUT I ONLY HAD A SECONDRY EDUCATION DID NOT LEARN MUCH AT SCHOOL
AND I AM 73 YEARS OLD I WILL NOT POST ANY THING IN FUTURE I WILL JUST READ THE FORUM

Not everyone can speak omgperfect english so I dont know why your getting so moody. At least theyre not talking in that bullshit leetspeak

And for the record, I can read that persons posts fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:53 pm 
FTP Access

Seriously OTT (sorry - OVER THE TOP)
How did you know that that poor chaps first language isn't Chinese?
I wouldn't blame him if he never came back.
My English isn't perfect - but it doesn't need to be, i can speak fluently and can also write down my thoughts in a competent manor.
So what if i don't get a dictionary out to check every single post.
:x
Looking at your first post I'm sure my old English teacher from my schooling days would have something to say about your comma slicing...
:-#

Admins do have authority. But you have to EARN it - your not going the right way about it!
:idea:
(No little RED in my box so it must mean my spelling is up to scratch!)

If i banned everyone who couldn't spell on the forum i moderate http://www.retestrak.nl it would only have half the members it has now. Its a Dutch board, but they speak in English. Bet you can't do that. We have 30,000 members from ALL over the world.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
OK. I've been too harsh. I'll just have to issue an apology.

At my reminder, all he'd've had to do from then on is press the <SHIFT> and <.> keys every now and again, and the job's a good'un...

Last edited by Tootles on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I think you went about it properly. Rules are rules and if people can't stick to them thats their problem not the admins. I would do exactly the same thing in your situation. If the rules weren't there who knows what would happen. If you ask me, stick to the rules or don't bother posting. Simple as that.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I think you went about it properly. Rules are rules and if people can't stick to them thats their problem not the admins. I would do exactly the same thing in your situation. If the rules weren't there who knows what would happen. If you ask me, stick to the rules or don't bother posting. Simple as that.

My argument to that is that schooling 20 years ago is very different to that of today. That person may believe that what they are saying is right.
DYSLEXIA is another one folks - causing great frustration for its sufferers, i'm fortunate in the fact i only have mild symptoms. My Brother on the other hand has a scribe for exams and twice the time limit as he has a severe form of it.
If he were to get banned from a forum because of his spelling or punctuation i would be livid.
It wasn't recognised years ago and no allowances were given - they were just stupid.
In fact many grown adults do not realise they have it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Andy wrote:

Thank you! Someone supports me :).

As for dyslexia - I'm sure I'd make allowances for that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Why do you need rules to remove bad posts?
If I were running a forum I'd rely on the moderators having taste in what's a good post or not.
That post you linked to was pretty terrible though, shouldn't that be enough reason to close/timeban the user?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:09 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry to post again, but i did notice that as soon as somebody came up with some comments about your posts that you locked the topic.
Here is an idea for you....
LOCK all your current topics.
BAN all users.
CREATE your own new topic
Speak to yourself.

im not flaming here. i just believe its wrong that you didn't leave it open for discussion on your own board and had to drag it over here. You didn't get the response that you wanted here either.
It seems to me that most people disagree with what you have done.

you said you would make allowances for dyslexia -
Do you know whether or not the first guy is dyslexic?
NO.
Do you know if English is his first language?
Probably not either.
Im all for the older generation and to see a 73yr (YEAR) old joining a forum and posting a topic is fantastic.
Seriously you need to relax the rules bit

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
alisdair wrote:
Andy wrote:

My argument to that is that schooling 20 years ago is very different to that of today. That person may believe that what they are saying is right.
DYSLEXIA is another one folks - causing great frustration for its sufferers, i'm fortunate in the fact i only have mild symptoms. My Brother on the other hand has a scribe for exams and twice the time limit as he has a severe form of it.
If he were to get banned from a forum because of his spelling or punctuation i would be livid.
It wasn't recognised years ago and no allowances were given - they were just stupid.
In fact many grown adults do not realise they have it

Dyslexia is a common thing. I can bet a huge number of people on BA have it but do they let it affect them? No. Why? Because they know they have it and they know to use spell checkers and grammar checkers BEFORE they hit submit.

I have a friend on another forum who writes a hell of a lot of things for his job. He is dyslexic, but he pulls through because he uses a spell checker on the computer before he submits his work. Thats all he has ever had to do and thanks to the spelling/grammar checker he can do his job properly.

Now I'm not dyslexic (as far as I know!) so I don't know what it feels like to be dyslexic, but believe me, you're not the only one, and you never will be, and no matter how bad it is, all it takes it a little effort and a little common sense to get around it. Everyone else I know with dyslexia does, so why can't you?

</rant>*

* for now...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 pm 
Donator

Dyslexia isn't all about spelling and grammar, you know?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Dyslexia isn't all about spelling and grammar, you know?

Quote:
Dyslexia is considered to be a learning disability. It manifests primarily as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.

Seems to me that it is, so my point stands.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
alisdair wrote:
Sorry to post again, but i did notice that as soon as somebody came up with some comments about your posts that you locked the topic.
Here is an idea for you....
LOCK all your current topics.
BAN all users.
CREATE your own new topic
Speak to yourself. I didn't want a war.

im not flaming here. i just believe its wrong that you didn't leave it open for discussion on your own board and had to drag it over here. You didn't get the response that you wanted here either.
It seems to me that most people disagree with what you have done. Actually, I didn't drag it over here for the sake of itself, I just wanted some opinions on how I was supposed to deal with it.

you said you would make allowances for dyslexia -
Do you know whether or not the first guy is dyslexic?
NO.
Do you know if English is his first language?
Probably not either.
Im all for the older generation and to see a 73yr (YEAR) old joining a forum and posting a topic is fantastic.
Seriously you need to relax the rules bit I'm sure he would have told me when I first asked him, if he'd got dyslexia, or if English wasn't his first language.

All this amounts to I'm not going to get any support from anyone, except the odd person here and there, doesn't it? I thank you greatly for your encouragement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:47 pm 
Donator

Well you brought it on yourself for having a forum rule that a 73 year old broke so you go and lock all his topics.

Yay for you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Yeah [censored] that OLD guy *gets down on knees* oh god you're the bestest moderator in the world marktuson you can come mod my forums anytime honey ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 am 
Donator

longview wrote:
Yeah [censored] that OLD guy *gets down on knees* oh god you're the bestest moderator in the world marktuson you can come mod my forums anytime honey ;)

HAHAHAHAHH :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:33 pm 
Donator

longview wrote:

:o That's wrong on so many levels

But it's still funny :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
This has gone way off topic so I'm locking it.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]