BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 19h, 21m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 6086MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Laptop Battery Charging & Screen Tips?        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:05 am 
FTP Access

Hello everyone, I have a MacBook Pro and the battery life is amazing. However, I have read many sites on how to improve the battery life of any laptop, along with maximizing performance.

Currently, I use the laptop charged in most of the time. I have read this can be bad for the battery to sit there with the AC Adaptor plugged in. Thus, I remove the battery and set it aside. SHOULD I be doing this? If not, the battery life in the menu bar reads "98%" since the cells or whatever aren't active due to being charged all the time.

Next, my PowerBook G3 had an issue in which whenever the lid was closed overtime, the keys would "imprint" on the LCD Screen. Now, I'm not sure if the MBPro has the same issue, so I keep the insert that came with the laptop inside whenever inactive. SHOULD I be wasting my time putting the insert in and out, or should I simply never use it?

I appreciate you guys reading and can only hope you understood what I mean. If not, I'll post a video. lol

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
On an HP laptop I had, I left the battery on the laptop but never really used it. It's life decreased a lot, and eventually it went completely dead. On my current laptop, I use the battery daily, and so far there haven't been any issues (It's almost a year old compared to the other one which was around 2.5). But it too has been showing signs of decreased life... either I'm doing something wrong or they're making these things cheaper as time goes on.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:05 am 
Donator

if you do intend to use your laptop with the AC adapter, take the battery out. keeping the battery fully charged and heated (while opertaing) kills the battery. you would be replacing the battery soon than it needs to be done.

best way to keep the battery longer while not in use is DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE LAPTOP
that's why darthtk said his battery is dead after a long while. he's doing something wrong for sure.
also, don't store your battery away fully charged, it also harm the battery. leave it half charge at a cool place.

it also depends on the type of battery. ni-cd (nickel) needs full discharge/charge once in a while. after a certain number of charges, it will show aging effects.
ni-mh battery is like the ni-cd but requires less full charging/discharing.
li-ion (lithium) battery doesn't need that full charge/discharge, but lithium will die in 2 to 3 years and must need a replacement (regardless if you use it or not, just how the battery is) but is the easily to work with.

modern day laptop are likely to come with li-ion since it's has the best battery hours.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 am 
Donator

Well I havent really read the thread but from what I've seen you want to use it on AC...thats fine, just remove the battery. If your not going to use it for a while don't worry, just make sure to discharge/charge the battery at least once a month.

And the screen printing thing... I think its cause the keys were too close to the screen... its happened on a couple of my mobile phones :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The best way to keep your battery good is to:-

1. Leave the battery in the laptop but use the laptop on the battery down to about 20% once per week.
2. If you decide to remove the battery, drain it down to 40% then remove it. 40% is the best charge percentage that Li-ion batteries have the longest life at.

If you want to save power then:-

1. Use the screen on the lowest brightness setting for the working environment.
2. Disable wifi if you're not using it
3. Ditto for bluetooth and infra-red
4. If you can, set the hard disk to spin down after as little a time as possible and save documents to a solid state disk such as a usb stick to avoid the hard disk having to spin up unnecessarily.
5. Close any programs you're not using to save on CPU usage. More CPU usage drains the battery.

As for the problem you talk about with imprints on the scree, if you're worried about it then I would certainly use an insert, otherwise I wouldn't worry. I've never heard of this issue so maybe its not very common?

Hope this helps.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm 
FTP Access

Well, I'll just use it when I store the laptop away for long hours (like when I go to bed), but it just gets annoying to carry that around from time to time.

And as for battery life, I have been doing what was stated so that's very good to know! I might also buy a spare battery, but not for a while since I just bought it. :)

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! And if you or any other members have any additional laptop tips for longer life-times, please don't hesitate to let me know or post links!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:32 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
troyoda1990 wrote:
Well, I'll just use it when I store the laptop away for long hours (like when I go to bed), but it just gets annoying to carry that around from time to time.

And as for battery life, I have been doing what was stated so that's very good to know! I might also buy a spare battery, but not for a while since I just bought it. :)

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! And if you or any other members have any additional laptop tips for longer life-times, please don't hesitate to let me know or post links!

Don't buy a spare battery unless you intend to use it. Li-ion batteries still degrade even if not used.

Also leaving the battery in and on charge overnight is fine, I do it but then I use my laptop off battery nearly every day anyway so I keep mine in shape.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:51 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Looking at Apple's pricing for batteries, I would consider building my own battery. This especially good to do as you can use your current battery to make sure the voltage readings correlate.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Frozenport wrote:
Looking at Apple's pricing for batteries, I would consider building my own battery. This especially good to do as you can use your current battery to make sure the voltage readings correlate.

I wouldn't recommend this. Li-ion batteries are very unstable unless correctly fitted and fitted with appropriate protection circuitry. You know what batteries are like with the self combusting laptops. Plus where would you find a second battery case from?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 am 
FTP Access

Okay then, no extra battery! Not until I absolutely need it, meaning this one starts going down to an hour off AC Adaptor, but that shouldn't be for a long while.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Wow, a lot of good information here. Thanks for it all. I've learned a lot myself.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:07 am 
Donator

darthtk118 wrote:
Wow, a lot of good information here. Thanks for it all. I've learned a lot myself.

Yes, people here seem to know a lot about Lithium batteries.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:26 am 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
darthtk118 wrote:

Yes, people here seem to know a lot about Lithium batteries.

its called reseach dude, get to it before you ask a dumb question xD (joking)

the internet is filled with info, usually people gain knowledge through research, friends and experience.

anyways, don't buy a spare battery since you don't know when your laptop needs replacement
It could be a waste when things surprisingly goes wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
I wouldn't recommend this. Li-ion batteries are very unstable unless correctly fitted and fitted with appropriate protection circuitry. You know what batteries are like with the self combusting laptops. Plus where would you find a second battery case from?

Several guides on the internet (like I'm going to follow them) they just say crack open the battery case you currently have :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:38 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Andy wrote:

Several guides on the internet (like I'm going to follow them) they just say crack open the battery case you currently have :/

That would be very dangerous if you accidentally short circuited the Li-ion cells and putting it back together wouldn't be particularly easy.

Top  Profile  WWW