BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 33d, 2h, 43m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 3034MB of 4657MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: How Do I turn my Spare PC into a FTP        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:00 am 
Staff

I think I am going to dedicate my Spare PC as an FTP for BetaArchive but I have no idea how to do this.
Can anyone talk me through it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:07 am 
Donator

Well, first you have to set up an FTP server, a good free one for Windows is "FileZilla Server". If you use Linux/Unix, there's likely a FTP server already installed which just needs to be configured and enabled. You decide which directory/-ies is/are to be shared, which permissions are to be set and create the user accounts and the passwords that have access to them. Then, you have to open the FTP port (21 usually, but you can of course change it if you don't want your ftp to be accessible too easy) in your firewall(s) and forward the port to your FTP server PC if you're behind a router (this is done in the router setup interface). If this works up to here, the last thing I'd do is install and register a No-IP service so that your server is always available with a fixed name, regardless of its IP address. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this more detailedly, but in short, these are the steps to get you up and running, err, no. serving! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:31 am 
Staff

I have all this set up now, I can access it from my other Computers using the internal IP address, but in my router settings it lets me update all my DynDNS stuff but it wont let me connect through it to the ftp.
Can anybody help?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:58 am 
Try setting the server to a port other than 21. It's possible your ISP is blocking it.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:09 am 
Staff

Fixed it, ports needed opening.
Edit: Got the DynDNS sorted as well, it seems to be working now but could someone check it for me?
If you can send me a PM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: hi        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
dou you need a fixed ip for an ftp server ive got a dell wating to be used

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]