BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 10h, 14m | CPU: 74% | MEM: 5554MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Question: Getting custom covers printed at local print shop        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:14 pm 
FTP Access

Anyone here ever tried this? If so, does the clerk at the counter give you any crap about why you're getting these covers printed? I would rather have the printing place do it. Better equipment than my printer which I hate using, and then I can be done with it.

I also have a ton of CD inserts (for live show tapings from fans - allowed by certain bands to prevent bootlegging) that I want to get done, but I wonder if they're going to get too stuffy about that as well.

I suppose I could just try and explain the situation with the abandonware beta operating systems, and the whole friendly trading policy for live music. Blah, blah. Wonder if it will fall on deaf ears. You know, they might not understand and immediately dismiss my request.

I'll bet they have to deal with a fair share of people that want to have stuff printed for the entirely WRONG reasons...

Any experiences/tips appreciated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
i dont think they would give you greaf if they wanted to sell them to, remember, the cashier gets a small amount of the cash if there sneeky lol

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm 
Donator

If I print Covers i do now print them on photopaper, that is expensive but gives me awsome results.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:46 pm 
Donator

You could try to get a new printer. Laser printers print CD covers exceptionally well. I know, I've tried, and I can post pictures if anyone wants. (H)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 am 
FTP Access

Thanks, guys. I do have another printer unopened in the closet... got it free with my last purchase. I think I have some photo paper left around as well.

Thing is, if I take the artwork to the printer and a print comes out crappy, they have to do it again and eat the cost. hehe I used to print out covers for trading concert videos, and the cartridge would run dry really fast. Then I would have to turn right around and spend another $20. Got to be a bit frustrating. Man, if only I was still in contact with my old pal; his dad owned a printing shop, and he worked there. Talk about the keys to the kingdom.

I might have a go and hop into my local Office Depot and see what happens... maybe bribe the clerk like you mentioned, djdanster. :D

mdogg - do you use photo paper or card stock for your cd inserts?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:39 am 
Donator

Saarineames wrote:
mdogg - do you use photo paper or card stock for your cd inserts?

Neither. I just used standard paper and it ended up coming out really well:
Both the case and the CD. I know it's not the original holographic disc but it looks good as it is.
This is the case by it self. The serial is handwritten but the photo is too blurry to read the serial so, sorry but no free serials for Vista to be found here.
I am very proud of this. I looks excellent even though it's not holographic.

Altogether, these worked out great for my first go at pirating labels. Now I'm working on XP labels.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 am 
Donator

While colour lasers do a really good job, any epson or (preferably) canon inkjet will do with good paper (not photo paper, but not $3 for 500 pages either :P)

I've found Canon inkjets do covers better (even better if the cover is of high quality). Epson is alright but I prefer Canon. I do have an Epson printer though as it was free and the Canon allinone I had cost $100 for new cartridges :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

I guess mine made with just a normal laser printer aren't quite as impressive then! :P -

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:53 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I guess mine made with just a normal laser printer aren't quite as impressive then! :P -

*snip*

No, they're alright but of course, they would look better in colour.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:36 am 
Donator

mdogg, care to send me the vista cover minus key in JPG?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:

With the CD label?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:54 am 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
happy dude wrote:

With the CD label?

may as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:19 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
mdogg wrote:
happy dude wrote:

With the CD label?

may as well.

happy dude, check your PMs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 am 
Donator

Do you have a public library near you?
I printed a few longhorn covers at my public library, they have a sweet laser printer and the colour printing is pretty cheap, plus no one really cares what youre up to :P
You should check out what kinda printer your library has before you waste dough and a 20min explanation to some printing shop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:38 am 
FTP Access

Jabster, great idea! The library totally slipped my mind. There are a few smaller branches around here, but the main one downtown isn't too far away. I'm willing to bet there's a monster of a printer somewhere within those nine stories. It has just about everything else under the sun packed in there.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]