BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 4h, 14m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 2271MB of 3717MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Interested? Like the idea?
I'm interested and I can help! 62%  62%  [ 18 ]
I'm interested but I can't help 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
I'm not interested in this project 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29
 PostPost subject: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:24 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
New Project Website; Developers Needed

Hello all. I just thought I’d post here because I know a lot of you are always up for new ideas, full of enthusiasm, and are always willing to help, so this is your lucky day! I am working on a new project website called Nompix. I have already decided what I want it to do and the main areas of the site that need working on but I can’t do this alone because of several reasons. One is time and the second is lack of knowledge. So what I’d like to do is get a small group of trustworthy people together to help me work on this project.

Nompix.com – What is it?
Nompix is basically going to be a site that any average Joe can visit and find something useful to use. When I say “any”, what I really mean is “most” people because obviously it’s impossible to cater for absolutely everybody.

I want the site to be something someone can go on that they find useful and can depend upon to serve certain needs. Some examples would be image hosting, or hosting a text document to send to someone else, or code with syntax highlighting. I want the site to bring together the most commonly used useful tools and applications for anybody to use.

Why did you choose that name?
Well the original role of the site was going to be purely image hosting but then I thought, Nompix doesn’t just have a meaning for images, it can just be a general name for a whole network of applications, not just image hosting.

Why do you need my help?
As you can well understand, such a huge project isn’t going to be easy to carry out, especially on my own, so I need a small team of people to help me along the way that have skills I don’t.

What sort of help do you need?
I need people who can code:-
XHTML
CSS
PHP and SQL
JavaScript

I may also need Graphic Designers but I like doing this work myself, but we shall see how it goes.

What will I get out of this?
You have knowledge that you have helped build the website and help make it what it becomes. If the site takes off and becomes popular then you can secure the knowledge that you have made the site the way it is, get it off the ground and known to the public. You can even brag to people when you know they use the site and say “I coded that you know!”. That is probably one of the best feelings of all.

Will I be paid for doing this?
Unfortunately no, this is going to be something we do for fun.

I’m still interested. What things do you need doing?
Well lots of things need doing, so here is a general run down of the basics. Obviously when a team is cobbled together there will be more details available.

Blog – I would like to have a blog system on the site. It doesn’t have to be snazzy but it has to be functional. It needs to give the users the ability to sign up for their own blog, post, edit/delete posts, comment, categorise and have basic skinning (colours etc)

The requirements for this would definitely be PHP and MySQL.

Developer – I would like to have a system where people can sign up for an account to have any applications they are working on (such as C#, C++, VB, .NET, PHP, ASP, Perl etc) hosted and archived so they have a central place for their development process. I am hoping this will give them security that their files are safe (or at least backed up) and that they can go back and download older versions of their files if needed.

It will need to have functions such as uploading files, deleting files, editing code online (for one off quickie edits if you think of something away from your desk), archiving files and tasks section where they can leave themselves notes and tasks that have to be completed by a certain time or date. E-Mail notifications will probably come into play here too when the deadline is near.

Forum – Don’t worry, I don’t want a custom forum built but what I do want is a forum skin for phpBB3 to go along with the current website design, which will be unveiled to those who make it into the group.

Gallery – I want a gallery script where people can create an account and upload their pictures and manage them via their own gallery section. They should then be able to share the images with friends/family etc.

The system should have bandwidth and space limits, which can be predefined per account or on a system wide basis (to prevent abuse).

Hosting – I want to offer several small hosting packages in the future. Of course this will be hosted on a proper control panel like cPanel, Helm or Plesk, etc. I don’t think much will need to be done in this section because there are already commercial products out there to do the job. It would be a waste to focus any effort here, however some sort of customised signup procedure might be of help.

Image – Like I said above, the main aim of the site originally was to be an image hoster. I already have a basic upload script, the BA image uploader. It works great in its current state but it could be dramatically improved.

Improvements such as making PNG’s non-compressed, adding a quality slider or selector so the user can select the quality they’d like the outcome to be. Even adding support for .bmp and other file formats would be great too.

The requirements for this would definitely be PHP with strong skills in using the phpGD module.

Server – I have this section under control myself. It will basically be an area showing server statistics, and when, if the site takes off, individual server statistics if we end up needing to load balance the servers together.
I might need some help with this getting it to work more efficiently but it works in its current state so I’ll leave this section alone for now.

Text – I want to be able to offer people a way of uploading their text files or documents for displaying and/or distribution online, much like pastebin does but a bit better looking, easier to use and less cluttered.

I’d like it so people can either use the site without signing up for basic use, e.g. upload for distribution or signing up where they can have more advanced functions like archiving versions of the files, editing online, deleting from their account. All users should have syntax highlighting for all the popular scripting languages.

Wow, sounds like a hell of a site! What if I was to steal this idea right now and use it for my own site?
You’d have a very large lawsuit on your hands. Going through a lawsuit myself at the moment has given me a huge insight into the rights I have in this world you people called life ;-), plus I have all of the original ideas and PSD files for the website and all the original documents I have written regarding the ideas. All of them are date marked and several of my friends have seen the site while I was making it, as have people who have interviewed me for jobs. The domain name Nompix.com is under my name and was purchased quite a few months ago, so be sensible, don’t steal ;-) I’m quite happy for you to play a big part in the development of the site if you want to and you will be credited for all the work you do.

Will I be credited for my work on the site?
Of course you will be. Everyone who works on the site will be acknowledged on a page dedicated to the whole team who developed the website called the “whois” page. Your name, age, what you did on the site, a picture and any personal comments will be posted if you want them to be, and they will stay there for as long as the site exists.

So, what do you think? Reckon you’re up for the challenge? Have any ideas, comments or opinions towards the idea?

I don’t know how quickly the development of the site will take off, if it does at all but I will value everyone’s effort.

A final note...
Please only say you can help if you really want to and want to dedicate time to the project. I did have a small group of people who eventually dropped out when they saw what sort of work throughput would be needed for the project. You need to want to do this project because you want to see it work, not just because you find it interesting.

Thanks.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Last edited by Andy on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 am 
Donator

Interested and theoretically can help.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:42 am 
Donator

I'm interested in helping but I can only code in PHP. Plus, you can use my SimpleBlog for the blogging system. (H)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:12 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
mdogg wrote:
I'm interested in helping but I can only code in PHP. Plus, you can use my SimpleBlog for the blogging system. (H)

The blog system would need to be fully incorporated into the current template, allow new users to sign up for their own private blog, login and change the content, manage comments etc etc. I don't think yours can do that can it? Thats the reason I'm asking for people to code this, because there is no commercial product available to do it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:17 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
mdogg wrote:

The blog system would need to be fully incorporated into the current template, allow new users to sign up for their own private blog, login and change the content, manage comments etc etc. I don't think yours can do that can it? Thats the reason I'm asking for people to code this, because there is no commercial product available to do it.

Well, I guess not. Well, I'm still interested in seeing what this project will outcome with and am fully willing to help.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:32 am 
Donator

As said, I can help with all I can.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I would love to help :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:08 am 
FTP Access

I would love to help, but alas I cannot code, or do any graphic design work. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:01 am 
Donator

And even if SimpleBlog isn't going to be used directly, we can reuse the technologies of it. 8)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Business
The blog system is justa case of coppying a configured folder over and then rewritting the wp_config file. If you used wordpress. Thats easy.

fyi: i was on the team primarlly and I had to quit for personal reasons.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 pm 
Permanently Banned

You seen on MSN that I can handle dev stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm 
Donator

Hm ... maybe you still ne help ;)

I could help you out with the gallery script.
Few months ago i wrote a simple gallery script myself, but without mysql or any other db system.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:20 pm 
FTP Access

I could do some graphic design work. Of course not coding, i just mean drawings.
Like layouts and shizz. Does sound like a blast. Any similar sites out the we can compare it too?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Mavericks
I think that this project has been temporarily abandoned. I am sure it will be 'brought-back' soon though ;-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:03 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
a-ha. That's what http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nompix/211906272002 was all about (on Facebook). I was wondering what it was, then just accidentally see this.

Interesting.
Offtopic Comment
No-one moan about me bumping otherwise it's a-clobbering time

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 am 
FTP Access

index.php
That is all. Also too easy to figure out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Mavericks
Yup it was made easy deliberately...

If people can figure that out, and also figure out that the "Request an invite" is working, then they are viable people for beta testing ;-)

Also... if anybody has any feedback or would like to help out, then please PM me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64
Andy wrote:
What sort of help do you need?
I need people who can code:-
XHTML
CSS
PHP and SQL
JavaScript

I can code in all of those.
I would be happy to help. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
One that isn't broken
I know my PHP, C++, C# etc. I also know some flash.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
I would be glad to help, but I'm not that good with HTML, css and php.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
5.50.5111/6.0.3706/6.0.4028
I will be glad to help with SQL/php
I can post all my applications to project (written on C#)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Project Website; Developers Needed        Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I would like to refer you to the original post date of this topic... 2008.

Locked.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]