Rant about/Discuss your ISP

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

Rant about/Discuss your ISP

Post by Andy »

Well it had to be made some time, an ISP rant thread.

Id like to say to NTL, thanks for the disconnections every 27.5 seconds and the crappy download and upload speeds I seem to be forever getting and the stupid 1GB a year cap...

Well OK, my ISP isnt THAT bad, its got 99% uptime and very rarely drops in speed, and there is no cap But it does have its moments, especially when the DNS servers pack in!

Your turn to rant now

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

I'm currently with Xtra (Telecom). They have recently changed all the plans so you get as 'fast as your line can go' so far on my computer i have only connected up to 1.2mbs, where beforehand i could get at least 2+mbs. It is also unlimited now, but they restrict certain things (p2p). ugh

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Warning: Rant

My ISP isn't too bad, its just that because of our stupid government, it has to use Telstra for its infrastructure. And Telstra *sucks*. They cap DSL at 1.5Mbit for most people (as in, they don't offer any of the nice 4Mbit/5Mbit/8Mbit plans), have bad download limits, questionable service, and charge a lot for it. I bet they've stung so many people with their $29.95/month DSL plan with 200MB of downloads, with a 24 month contract. LOL. Even Rupert Murdoch thinks our internet connections suck.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

it is the same here, telecom owns like 99% of the lines here.

Deathwarder
FTP Access

Post by Deathwarder »

mines actually good. I get 9Mb/s(actual) down, and the first 10megs of any transfer I get 14Mb/s. One thing I hate though, the upload speeds. I get 512k upload(theoretical, but close to actual) and they have no plans to up this.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

You get 14Mbps for the first 10MB (Im assuming it drops throughout the downloading of the 10MB) because any connection "bursts" when it first starts. I can get 1500KB/s download speed on my 4Mbps connection but it slowly drops down to 480KB/s again which is my normal speed.