BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 21h, 21m | CPU: 39% | MEM: 1972MB of 3125MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: I built my first computer. Finally!        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
After scraping penny and penny for years, I have finally built myself a decent computer. This computer had been in the planning stage for almost 2 years, but here are the final specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
2GB Kingston DDR2-667 RAM
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked
Intel DG35EC Motherboard
Corsair CMPSU-450VX 450 Watt PSU
Western Digital 400GB SATA Hard Drive
Generic SATA DVD Writer
Generic Beige Case

The entire cost was roughly 700 USD. Had I built it a few months ago, I would have opted for a Pentium Dual-Core E2180 and an 8600GT, but I decided to scrape a little more and get slightly higher-end parts. I bought a generic beige case instead of a name-brand case (for the sake of its cheapness and "old-school factor").

And, yeah, I'm running this computer stock. No overclocking for me. I am using an Intel motherboard anyways, so overclocking anything besides the graphics card is impossible.

Unfortunately, I had to stop using my new computer just a day after building it, because the damn CPU stock cooler fell off the motherboard, and the two of the heatsink pins wouldn't refasten onto the motherboard properly, no matter how hard I tried. I didn't want to overheat my CPU too much (CPU temperatures with an improperly seated CPU cooler ran up to 70-80 degress Celsius at idle), so I turned my computer off until I can get a proper CPU cooler this Saturday.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Why'd you decide to go with an Intel mobo. I'd have gone with a Gigabyte or Asus. Do you like Intel?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
It was cheap. It received good reviews at Newegg.

And it was Micro-ATX. I can only fit Micro-ATX cases under my desk, as it's a tad cramped.

If I went with an 8600GT, I may have bought a better motherboard, but honestly, it's not too bad. It came with a free movie, too!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Looks like you've got yourself a nice little system there. I think the motherboard's fine - I have no problem with my DP35DP Intel motherboard what-so-ever. Really nice graphics card in that puppy as well!

Hope you enjoy your new toy. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Congratulations :-) Hard work to earn something like that pays off and I know you'll enjoy that machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:11 am 
Donator

Besides the Western Digital hard drive (I've had trouble with Western Digital), it looks like a pretty good setup.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
mdogg wrote:
Besides the Western Digital hard drive (I've had trouble with Western Digital), it looks like a pretty good setup.

I've been using Western Digital drives for years. What problems did you encounter?

Can't wait until tomorrow... Then I can finally start using this computer properly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:46 am 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
mdogg wrote:

I've been using Western Digital drives for years. What problems did you encounter?

Can't wait until tomorrow... Then I can finally start using this computer properly.

Unfortunately, every Western Digital hard drive I've had has broken. I can admit one of them was my fault (accidental frequent drops on the ground) but the rest just broke abruptly. The last one I bought would continuously shut down without notice requiring a reboot to start it up again. Eventually it just gave out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I still have my old computer around (the one I'm typing on), and its hard drive hasn't given out yet. It's been four years.

Must be bad luck for you. I've always seen Western Digital as a good, reliable brand. Guess you must have went Seagate or Hitachi, right?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:04 pm 
Pretty nice specs, ive been planning to build a pc.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 pm 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
I still have my old computer around (the one I'm typing on), and its hard drive hasn't given out yet. It's been four years.

Must be bad luck for you. I've always seen Western Digital as a good, reliable brand. Guess you must have went Seagate or Hitachi, right?

Yeah I've been going with Seagate now. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 pm 

Seagate and WD are widely regarded as the best and most reliable HDD manufacturers, so to have a run of bad luck with WD hard drives is quite a feat :p

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:48 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
olileauk wrote:
Seagate and WD are widely regarded as the best and most reliable HDD manufacturers, so to have a run of bad luck with WD hard drives is quite a feat :p

I would agree there :) The new Seagate 1TB drives are fantastic from what I have heard. I have sworn by WD drives for a while now. I just, however, sent one back for replacement after it failed. But I must give it some credit, it was reporting SMART errors for 6 months before it finally gave up the ghost! It was my fault for ignoring them, however because I knew it was bad I did not store any un-recoverable data on it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:49 am 

I have had seagate and WD drives for ages, mainly seagate, but none of them have ever failed on me - one seagate i've had for 4 years!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 am 
Not bad PC