BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 3h, 39m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 1811MB of 4381MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Do you like Vista?
Wouldnt use anything else! 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Its not too bad, could be less buggy. 49%  49%  [ 17 ]
Its average. 23%  23%  [ 8 ]
Its the worst OS M$ has ever made. 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Vista? m$? Im a linux/mac person! 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 35
 PostPost subject: Your views on Vista        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:43 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What are your views on Vista now you have seen the RTM?

Personally I don't like it. Its just too "clunky" for me. It has little annoying things that don't have to be there. The pop-up box asking if you really want to run a program every time you click something is the worst offender.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:47 am 
Donator

I've voted for "average". It's not too bad although it has the small bugs and annoying things (like the UAC you've already mentioned), but I wouldn't use it as my main OS unless I absolutely had to. I'm a "Classic Windows" (2000/2003 or FLP maybe), Linux/Unix and Mac guy primarily and prefer running them as my main OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:18 am 
FTP Access

It seems OK - I don't like the slightly unfinished feel to it though, for instance:

>>Not all the icons have been updated (the classic start menu being the worst example),
>>They've updated some of the control panels to have the "Activity Centre"-style new interface (like the Wallpaper one) but didn't have time to replace them all so a lot still bring up the old tabbed dialog (except each one only has one tab at the top, like the Display options one, which is silly - why have the tab if there's only one?).
>>The boot screen (or rather the lack of it)
>>Things like the lack of options for all the built-in screensavers that they had in the old versions of those screensavers but claim they "didn't have time" to do for the Vista versions
>>There are a few bugs, like the folder tree one, the about Windows one, the thing where a huge IE icon suddenly appeared on my desktop when I changed some start menu options (NOT asking for IE icon!).
>>The non-title-bars - couldn't we at least have had the option of a title on them? I'm not sure about the new Explorer yet - I like the breadcrumb bar, but will have to use it for a while as my main OS before I can decide fully. Also Explorer windows seem a little bloated around the edges - screen sizes seem to be another thing pushed into the upgrade cycle by Vista.

>>Also, the amount of licensing/DRM nonsense in it - 2 services running all the time that do nothing but License stuff, and just look at the number of files/folders in the system folder related to licensing/DRM! WGA very tightly embedded, a lot of core Windows components dependent on it - just too much, in my opinion. I don't like the fact that it's talking to MS servers all the time for WGA purposes without you knowing - on XP you know when it's WGA-ing (ie when you install updates, unless you were stupid enough to install that WGA Notifications virus).

I will probably reserve full judgement until I've used it on a real machine though, as I've never used any Vista build on a real PC and it's difficult to get an accurate impression of the performance, and also you don't see the new composited desktop at all. I don't like the fact that there's 40 processes on startup though (given that I only have about 15 on XP), and it seems strange that Mac OS X works well on a much lower-spec machine than Vista demands, even though it is arguably just as an advanced OS.

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 am 
Donator

i'll tell you once i get around to installing it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:58 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, I've strayed behind on Vista lately. Last build I installed was RC1, but I am planning on trying this new one out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:29 pm 
FTP Access

It's average

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm 
Donator

the last one i installed was a few builds after beta 1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:52 am 
Donator

I'm a Linux person. I've installed Xgl/Beryl two days ago. And to think I even considered installing the leaked Vista RTM. Seriously, Beryl looks even better than Tiger.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:54 am 
I've been using Linux almost exclusively for a while, and with the exception of a select few apps, I see little reason for Vista (maybe for Halo 2, but I'd only get vista if I buy a new OEM PC or build my own and get the special OEM version from Newegg).

For compositing goodness, Xgl/beryl more than suffices. It has, by far, more eye candy than both Windows and Mac OS combined. Most of it is unnecessary (having windows burn away isn't productivity enhancing) but damnit, it looks cool. :P

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:55 am 
Staff

I voted its not too bad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:16 am 
i like vista i have made the switch over on both my laptop and my pc both to vista and to me it seems to run better than xp!!!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:40 pm 
FTP Access

Its average, for just one reason...

I can't play games on it!

Oh, and also because:
-Takes forever to delete a file (are you sure?, UAC, are you sure again)
-No bootscreen

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:30 pm 
I haven't used any recent builds, but once I get Vista I will probably dual-boot it with Windows XP.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:01 pm 
Donator

i just installed it, pretty good so far. detected all of my hardware. although my tv card doesn't work in media center

Top  Profile