BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 12h, 33m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 2340MB of 4531MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Getting 8meg Broadband        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:28 am 
Staff

Found out today that I was on an old broadband package from Wanadoo which is 1meg for £17.99 with 2GB monthly download.
It is £14.99 for 2meg with 2GB monthly and for £19.99 I can get 8meg with Unlimited (Good fair use policy) with free calls to anywhere in the UK and to 100 other countries.
Roughly, what will my k/B per second when I am maxing my connection?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 am 
Donator

You mean what will be your maximum download speed? Roughly (8megabits/second / 8bits) = 1 megabyte/second.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:46 am 
FTP Access

That sounds like a very similar package to the one we get from TalkTalk. Be aware that these services are advertised as "[b]up to[/i] 8 meg", and in reality your download speed will not normally be that much (and it's not actually possible for it to be that much unless certain conditions are met such as the distance you are form the phone exchange, and the wiring between you and the exchange).

Even if the real speed is more like 2 or 3 meg (which it often is on such deals) though, it's still a good price - the equivalent TalkTalk costs us a lot less than we paid before to have before to have unlimited dial-up and phone line rental/calls from separate companies - £20/month is about what you'd pay BT for line rental and calls, without any internet access (the Wanadoo deal does include line rental, right?).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:48 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
empireum wrote:
You mean what will be your maximum download speed? Roughly (8megabits/second / 8bits) = 1 megabyte/second.

You should expect about 900-950KB/s including overheads. I get 450-500KB/s on 4Mbps broadband.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:24 am 
Donator

always a good idea to check your ISP's deals once in a while

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:43 pm 
Staff

Sorry to bump but its finally been upgraded and im getting around 750kb/s downloading from Connect.
I havent checked my upload spped but hopefully its better, if only I had this speed when the Vista CPP was around.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]