BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 22m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5639MB of 10881MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Best 3D card for Pentium D??        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Posts
31
Hello my fellow beta partners.

I'm mostly a lurker here but anyway I want to ask something :P

Since you've more experience than me building systems...

Which could be the best 3D card for a Pentium D?? Game-oriented one.

Specifically Pentium D 930 (3 Ghz).

Other system specs: 2 GB RAM DDR2 667 MHz. Board Intel 946Gz 800 Mhz system bus. PCI Express x16 v1.0 , not dual connection allowed (SLI or Crossfire)

----------------

I know I know, that proc sucks but I can't change it. Instead of cry about it I want to buy a nice Nvidia or Ati card, and/or any other good option.

You know, Intel GMA 3000 isn't exactly a graphics monster >_<

-----------------------------------

And I don't think my Pentium D could runs well with a GeForce 9800 :P, I think that would be a waste of 3Dcard

_________________
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless


Last edited by RGaspar on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:15 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Posts
303
With that I might actually think of getting a lower-end C2D (if your board supports it) like the E4600 or E7200 and adding a 4850.

Just as is, I would say the 9600GT would be a good choice (Newegg has one for $120).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:58 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 am

Posts
1915

Location
New Zealand
this agp or pcie?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:54 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Posts
31
Ups I forgot that


PCI Express tech

:)

Btw I can't buy a new processor. It's ok with the current one :P

_________________
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon May 05, 2008 1:35 pm

Posts
78
RGaspar wrote:
Ups I forgot that


PCI Express tech

:)

Btw I can't buy a new processor. It's ok with the current one :P


Is your PCI-E x16, x8, or x1?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Posts
31
PCI Express x16 V1.0

My chipset:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/c ... erview.htm

_________________
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:04 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon May 05, 2008 1:35 pm

Posts
78
RGaspar wrote:


You're in luck then. I suggest you get an ATI 4850 or Nvidia 9800GTX. If you want a cheaper graphics card than that you should try getting an Nvidia 8800gt or 9600gt.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:29 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:25 am

Posts
224

Location
Yorkshire, England

Favourite OS
Windows 7
There’s nothing really wrong with your processor, get the best graphics card you can afford :)


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:30 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Posts
732

Location
Norway

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
8800 GTS 512Mb is also awesome for DX10 games.

_________________
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:23 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
I have an 8600GT and it's just fine and dandy. Cheap now, too.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:37 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts
1524

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
moonlit wrote:
I have an 8600GT and it's just fine and dandy. Cheap now, too.

Do you play games on it?

_________________
Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:08 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Posts
732

Location
Norway

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
moonlit wrote:
I have an 8600GT and it's just fine and dandy. Cheap now, too.

8800 is about twice as good, compared to the 320mb GTS, and the 512mb is even faster.

As for 3d accelerators I would recommend the Voodoo 5 or a Voodoo 3 32mb if you're on a budget.

_________________
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:57 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 am

Posts
428
What games do you plan to play? If you plan on playing any HL2 based games, getting a great video card will be a waste of money, since that game is heavily CPU dependent. I upgraded from a 7900GT to a 8800 GTS 512 mb. In CSS and TF2, I didn't see much of an improvement (I have an AMD x2 4200 @ 2.2 ghz). In some of my other games (Bioshock), the difference was like night and day.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:46 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Posts
31
longview wrote:
As for 3d accelerators I would recommend the Voodoo 5 or a Voodoo 3 32mb if you're on a budget.


LOL. That vintage card would be more harder to find than an actual copy of Windows 8.

Ambig wrote:
What games do you plan to play? If you plan on playing any HL2 based games, getting a great video card will be a waste of money, since that game is heavily CPU dependent. I upgraded from a 7900GT to a 8800 GTS 512 mb. In CSS and TF2, I didn't see much of an improvement (I have an AMD x2 4200 @ 2.2 ghz). In some of my other games (Bioshock), the difference was like night and day.


Some games I want to play are heavily CPU dependent and some others not.

Elder's Scroll: Oblivion; The Sims 2; StarCraft II; Spore; the afore mentioned Half-Life 2; Quake 4; maybe GRID or Assasin's Creed. and some others :P

-------------------

Thanks to all for the answers

_________________
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless


Last edited by RGaspar on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:53 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Posts
1004

Location
USA
RGaspar wrote:
longview wrote:
LOL. That vintage card would be more harder to find than an actul copy of Windows 8.



OK, where's my copy of windows 8? (Well, it is AGP (was there even a PCIe version...) and only 16mb, so i guess ill settle for windows 7.5...) :P

_________________
Old-Computer
BetaArchive VIP | Ex-OSBA Member


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:16 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Posts
303
RGaspar wrote:
longview wrote:
As for 3d accelerators I would recommend the Voodoo 5 or a Voodoo 3 32mb if you're on a budget.


LOL. That vintage card would be more harder to find than an actual copy of Windows 8.

Ambig wrote:
What games do you plan to play? If you plan on playing any HL2 based games, getting a great video card will be a waste of money, since that game is heavily CPU dependent. I upgraded from a 7900GT to a 8800 GTS 512 mb. In CSS and TF2, I didn't see much of an improvement (I have an AMD x2 4200 @ 2.2 ghz). In some of my other games (Bioshock), the difference was like night and day.


Some games I want to play are heavily CPU dependent and some others not.

Elder's Scroll: Oblivion; The Sims 2; StarCraft II; Spore; the afore mentioned Half-Life 2; Quake 4; maybe GRID or Assasin's Creed. and some others :P

-------------------

Thanks to all for the answers

Yeah then the 4850 is the card to get. It has great performance at a low price. It beats out most every card, including the 8800GTS G92, 8800GT 9600GT and even the 9800GTX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121253
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powe ... 50/13.html

:)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
Bender wrote:
moonlit wrote:
I have an 8600GT and it's just fine and dandy. Cheap now, too.

Do you play games on it?


Yeah, though admittedly mostly older games... MoH:AA/SH, Battlefield 2 once or twice, Portal, NFS:ProStreet. Nothing hugely taxing but it seems to keep up well enough. It's teamed with 2GB RAM and a 2GHz Intel E2180 (Core2Duo E4xxx with half the cache).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: THANKS GUYS        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Posts
31
Thanks to you all for the warm answers.

I think the thread is done. Just hoping I'll have the money to buy a decent 3D card.

_________________
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lubuntut and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS