BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 4h, 23m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 2949MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: YouTube to give up user data in privacy bombshell        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:19 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Popular clip-sharing website YouTube has been ordered to release the details of individuals who have accessed certain videos.

Media giant Viacom wants the date, time and IP address from which scenes from TV shows and movies were accessed. The move is part of a copyright infringement lawsuit against Google, which owns YouTube.

In a ruling that could have major implications for online privacy around the world, US District Court judge Louis Stanton granted Viacom access to the records.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... public_rss

(fail)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:27 pm 
Donator

In my opinion, this is a blatent invasion of people's privacy. I mean, why do they need this information anyway? It's a case against YouTube, not the viewers of these videos...I mean, are they going to start knocking on people's doors and saying: "Excuse me, is your IP address xxx.xx.xxx.x? I see you watched Spongebob Squarepants at 12.29 PM on Tuesday 1st July 2008. See you in court." No. So why the need for this information?

Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:34 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
this is illegal.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 pm 
Donator

Apparently it's not just Viacom stuff now...It's ALL the videos on YouTube. They are going to know what EVERYONE has watched at ANY TIME since YouTube started. At least, that's what the BBC News site said...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:15 am 
Donator

that's it. lets FLOOD youtube with copyrighted material!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:40 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Thats why Google and YouTube should never be trusted.

WHY THE HELL DO THEY HAVE THESE RECORDS STORED!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:14 pm 
FTP Access

I believe that ALL servers, regardless of who it is or where they come from, can easily track all user IP Addresses and decide to track or block them at anytime. Plus, using a website means that the user visiting the site agrees to accept an "agreement" that they will obey the rules as stated by their Legal Terms of Service Agreement. Most sites have these, kinda like how BetaArchive has a set of rules of them own, for the forums and the servers themselves.

Next, I recently read that the FBI can listen in to any conversations you may be having by easily accessing your cell phone via a device they may have nearby in a truck or vehicle around your house! Almost all current phones nowadays have these devices in them to track you down, whether you are actually making a phone call, or just having it sit next to you on your desk. The only way to prevent the government from listening into you at anytime is to not only power down the phone, but to remove the battery as well. Now this is the US government, so I'm not sure how foreign governments work.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, here cant be that done.

Only the police can listen to the phones or wiretaps when there is enough evidence, but all phones and IP's are tracked on website or in the phone network.

I know that here they only search for IP's that have been on suspicious sites (i know this because my dad is using this method at work, they have a machine outside of the normal network that runs ubuntu and they are using whois to search the IP's and home adresses).

But it comes all to this, they store it, but they cant and will not use it until it necessary.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:25 pm 
Donator

Just cause Viacom is a bunch of idiots, I think we should all pirate as much of their stuff that we can! (Not that I pirate...)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:31 am 
Donator

Jeff wrote:
Just cause Viacom is a bunch of idiots, I think we should all pirate as much of their stuff that we can! (Not that I pirate...)

Don't be ashamed ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:31 am 
FTP Access

I am a little upset with this.

As someone who uploads videos to Youtube (not illegal videos), I find this as an invasion of my own privacy. When I signed up for youtube and checked off that little box that said I agree to their privacy policy, and how they weren't going to give my info to anyone, I automatically assumed it was true.

It is also a little disturbing that a court ruled that one company had to hand over the private data of millions of users to another company...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 am 
Donator

Every major company should know that there will always be the prick of piracy to get in their way. Companies like Viacom shouldn't waste their time trying to stop piracy because they'll never triumph against all of the pirates.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]