BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 1h, 10m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 1772MB of 3207MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Stay away from Best Buy Geek Squad!!!        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:32 pm 
One of my clients couldn't wait for me to get back from a 3 day vacation and it cost her over $1200, half of which was "labor", to "fix" her issue at Best Buy. This was a $600 computer and her problem had to do with her internet connection which they never fixed. They ended up charging here to replace every component in the computer (including a floppy drive for $75, a new copy of windows xp pro, and new anti-spy ware/anti-virus.) and never once advised her that it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new computer for half what she spent. When she got it home and connected it up to her dsl modem, it still didn't work and she went back and asked for her $ back because they didn't fix the problem, and they refused, of course. It ended up being a bad DSL modem. AT&T sent her a new modem free of charge. She is now suing them in small claims.

I tell this story to any new or current client that calls for service and are shopping around for the best price if they mention taking their computer to Best Buy.

I have even told this story to people standing in line at the Geek Squad counter and given them my card. :)

PostPost subject: Re: Stay away from Best Buy Geek Squad!!!        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:34 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
seanhobbs wrote:
One of my clients couldn't wait for me to get back from a 3 day vacation and it cost her over $1200, half of which was "labor", to "fix" her issue at Best Buy. This was a $600 computer and her problem had to do with her internet connection which they never fixed. They ended up charging here to replace every component in the computer (including a floppy drive for $75, a new copy of windows xp pro, and new anti-spy ware/anti-virus.) and never once advised her that it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new computer for half what she spent. When she got it home and connected it up to her dsl modem, it still didn't work and she went back and asked for her $ back because they didn't fix the problem, and they refused, of course. It ended up being a bad DSL modem. AT&T sent her a new modem free of charge. She is now suing them in small claims.

I tell this story to any new or current client that calls for service and are shopping around for the best price if they mention taking their computer to Best Buy.

I have even told this story to people standing in line at the Geek Squad counter and given them my card. :)

What a bunch of tits. And so you should give them your card. At least you do the job properly and get paid what its worth.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Stay away from Best Buy Geek Squad!!!        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
seanhobbs wrote:

You sir, are awesome. If enough people did this, the "Geek Squad" would be a discontinued service at Best Buy...and so I hope it becomes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:16 pm 
FTP Access

Unbelievable! Glad she's suing these tosspots. Practices like these mirror the crooked car mechanic rip-off schemes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 pm 
Donator

That's exactly why I refer people to two smaller privately owned computer shops in my area, instead of bestbuy, if I'm too swamped to help them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
While Best Buy may have acted notably evil, I think its important to give the customer their fair share of blaim.

Foremost, people can spend three days without a computer, especially in a business setting where you almost always borrow one.
Second paying for any service before it completes is never a good idea. Most services (such as my carpet cleaning today) have no problem if they get paid after the fact because they are confident in their abilities to perform.
Lastly, anybody with a half a brain would do some research into why these guys are doing what they are - especially when they start charging you hundreds of dollars.

From a legal perspective Best Buy, although fiendish can make a good case. Especially if they made no written guarentees.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am 
Donator

Similar thing happened to someone I know recently but with PC WORLD here in the UK. Apparently Vista "just died" (they're not very technical), so they decided to take it to PC WORLD, who promptly formatted their hard-drive without backing up any of their data, and charged them for a new copy of Vista (even thought the laptop had restore disks). So they ended up paying for Vista, and the labour, and losing all their data. :\

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
KCLiVES wrote:
Similar thing happened to someone I know recently but with PC WORLD here in the UK. Apparently Vista "just died" (they're not very technical), so they decided to take it to PC WORLD, who promptly formatted their hard-drive without backing up any of their data, and charged them for a new copy of Vista (even thought the laptop had restore disks). So they ended up paying for Vista, and the labour, and losing all their data. :\

It surprises me that PC world would still try something like that. They have been taken to court too many times to still be risking it. But I guess that's just their way of business; con people.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
PC World's specialty is selling 'new' hard drives full of data though

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:45 pm 
FTP Access

Have you gone to there website and checked there prices ? Where do they get these prices at ? These guys are total ripoffs...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Lol so glad i know how to fix my computer myself. If i can't do it my grandpa can.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
KCLiVES wrote:

esactly the same thing happened to me, stupid aint it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I have told my family to come to me if they need their PC's fixing. They have even told their friends to do the same. I fixed my Grandads neighbours PC (overheating, quick hoover and fresh thermal paste and it was done). I didn't expect anything payment wise because I know the lady quite well myself so it was done as a friend not as a client, but she gave me £7 ($14) for 20 minutes work. Considering she only earns just enough to live, that was quite generous, and even more generous so as I was not expecting anything.

My Dads work had their main e-mail PC HD fail so he brought it home the other night. I replaced the HD with a second hand disk I had lying around, reinstalled the OS and recovered what I could off the drive while it worked for a few minutes. What they wanted mainly was the e-mails, so I copied the pst file from outlook to the new outlook, et viola, all the e-mails are back. Again I didn't expect anything from them as I'd done work for them in the past as a "friend", but my dad managed to get £20 ($40) off them for me as a thanks for doing the job.

There are some generous people out there, and some damn right snotty ones who either don't give you anything, or those like geek squad who charge you stupid amounts of money, and in some cases won't release the PC back to you until you pay!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
When i did a job for a mate well fixing the sound drivers.
I wasn't expecting anything as i was doing it as a mate and i got £2 from it as i did it there and then some It people arnt like grateful for being paid when not expected, witch cheeses me off at times.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
lol, I charge how much it was for all the replacement components. 7.00$ tax.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:30 am 
yes they are a joke a while back i downlloaded their troubleshooting procedure manual and it was sad as if it was made for a 9 year old to be performing this

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 am 
FTP Access

Geek Squad is pretty much, "Give us your money and we'll attempt to fix your computer."

A similar situation happened to my friend and I. I offered to fix his computer on a certain day, however, I got pretty sick and wasn't able to go over.

He decided to take it to Bestbuy...

He got it back three weeks later with the same problem. They charged him $200...

My friend described this to me over the phone: "Every time I turn my computer on, I hear clicking noises and high pitched grinding noises"

I told him right away was probably the harddrive. Well, Geek Squad turns it on and right away figured it was the dvd drive (dumbasses). So they replaceed the dvd drive, and didn't even attempt to turn it on and see if it resolved the problem.

In the end my friend complained, got a refund, got a new harddrive which I installed for him and guess what!?! It worked again!

Geek Squad is the epitome of dog crapz.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Bigern1990 wrote:
Geek Squad is pretty much, "Give us your money and we'll attempt to fix your computer."

A similar situation happened to my friend and I. I offered to fix his computer on a certain day, however, I got pretty sick and wasn't able to go over.

He decided to take it to Bestbuy...

He got it back three weeks later with the same problem. They charged him $200...

My friend described this to me over the phone: "Every time I turn my computer on, I hear clicking noises and high pitched grinding noises"

I told him right away was probably the harddrive. Well, Geek Squad turns it on and right away figured it was the dvd drive (dumbasses). So they replaceed the dvd drive, and didn't even attempt to turn it on and see if it resolved the problem.

In the end my friend complained, got a refund, got a new harddrive which I installed for him and guess what!?! It worked again!

Geek Squad is the epitome of dog crapz.

Common sense would tell you it's the hard drive.. These people don't even possess basic knowledge! What's even more sad is not enough people have complained and revolted enough to put them out of business! It's basically like stealing...except legally. I know the higher-up people are enjoying it because they know non-computer proficient folks don't know the difference. Seeing that kinda stuff go on makes me feel violent....makes me wanna go into beast mode.

EDIT: I think I drank too much monster :P :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 am 
Donator

I fail to see how floppy drives affect internet connection

Top  Profile