BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 5h, 19m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 2113MB of 3159MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: 1999 MSDN subscription! :)        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:55 pm 
Donator

Just got a 1999 MSDN map I snagged on eBay :)
Hrere's the most interesting, i.e. OS stuff:

Windows 95 versions, Add-ons for Windows 95
    Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (Debug/Checked Build)
    Windows NT Server 4.0
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition, Disc 1
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition, Disc 2
    Windows NT Option Pack 4.0
    Windows 98 Versions
    Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98 Debug Symbols, Windows 98 Year 2000 Update
    Microsoft Plus! 98, Windows 98 Resource Kit
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 (Debug/Checked Build)
    Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 4
    Windows 2000 Professional Checked/Debug build, Beta 3 RC 1 (x86), build 2000
    Windows 2000 Server, Beta 3 RC1 (x86), build 2000
    Windows 2000 Server, Beta 3 (x86)
    Windows 2000 Professional Checked/Debug build, Beta 3 (x86)

So, no Windows NT5/2000 Alpha builds, unfortunately, but still some good stuff to play around with :) If there's interest in any of the above, feel free to drop me a line.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 pm 
Good find :wink:
What language are they in?
Did you buy them here in Germany, or other country?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:15 pm 
Donator

They're in English, as far as I can tell (if they weren't, it would be specified on the CDs). I bought them on the German eBay, yes. The seller's locatedin Germany.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 pm 
Donator

Nice swag of stuff there :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm 
FTP Access

LUCKY!!! I tried asking for more MSDN/TechNet stuff on Freecycle, but didn't get anything :( There isn't even anything on the UK eBay at the moment, and even when there is the cost of posting that number of CDs is always way too high for me.

I've got bids of £31 on my old ThinkPad with 8 hours to go, by the way :D I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a dead PII laptop, but they seem to be genuine bids!

Edit: I've been thinking about getting this Microsoft Year 2000 Resource CD for a while (it's a 30 day buy it now), as I like this kind of collectable stuff. It's £2.75 (about $5.20) including postage - do you think it's worth that much or not, as I'm undecided:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:56 am 
Donator

Quote:
LUCKY!!! I tried asking for more MSDN/TechNet stuff on Freecycle, but didn't get anything Sad There isn't even anything on the UK eBay at the moment, and even when there is the cost of posting that number of CDs is always way too high for me.

Well, my research and question on Freecycle didn't turn up anything of interest either. :( Nothing on the German eBay now. But I always keep on looking for that kind of stuff to collect.

Quote:
I've got bids of £31 on my old ThinkPad with 8 hours to go, by the way Very Happy I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a dead PII laptop, but they seem to be genuine bids!

That's really good. You always have to remember these are ThinkPads! :) I paid a quite high price for my 600 as well.

Quote:
Edit: I've been thinking about getting this Microsoft Year 2000 Resource CD for a while (it's a 30 day buy it now), as I like this kind of collectable stuff. It's £2.75 (about $5.20) including postage - do you think it's worth that much or not, as I'm undecided:

Well, for $5, I'd buy it, I guess. Are you interested in the actual CD or just in its contents? I ask because I have that exact same CD, and if it's the contents you're after, I can upload it for you. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:18 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:

Well, for $5, I'd buy it, I guess. Are you interested in the actual CD or just in its contents? I ask because I have that exact same CD, and if it's the contents you're after, I can upload it for you. :)

Both, really. What sort of things are on it, just out of interest? There's still 3 days to go on it, so I've got a bit of time to think still (presuming someone else doesn't grab it). Where did you get your copy from, just out of interest? Was it something that TechNet subscribers were sent?

empireum wrote:
Quote:
I've got bids of £31 on my old ThinkPad with 8 hours to go, by the way Very Happy I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a dead PII laptop, but they seem to be genuine bids!

That's really good. You always have to remember these are ThinkPads! :) I paid a quite high price for my 600 as well.

Yeah, it's weird how certain things (ThinkPads, Apple laptops etc) seem to stay expensive even when they're quite old (and even broken!). An example is the Apple AirPort card - it's an old outdated 11 Mbps WiFi card, like a PC Card but slightly smaller so it fits in the slot inside an Apple G3/G4 system - a similar wifi card for a PC would cost nothing, but because lots of people have these Apple machines but there's relatively few cards around (they stopped making them a while back because the newer Macs only take the newer 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme cards, and at the time they were an expensive optional extra that relatively few people chose as wireless networks were far less common back then) they go for about £60 on eBay! Crazy! When we got broadband last summer we needed one, and eventually found one for £40 (not on eBay), but that's still ridiculously expensive for what it is.

The ThinkPad sale should be a good deal for me anyway, seeing as I got it for free originally (from a clearout) :D

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:55 am 
Donator

Quote:
Both, really. What sort of things are on it, just out of interest? There's still 3 days to go on it, so I've got a bit of time to think still (presuming someone else doesn't grab it). Where did you get your copy from, just out of interest? Was it something that TechNet subscribers were sent?

Don't know if TechNet subscribers could have gotten it, I think you could order it from MS back in 1999, but I'm not sure if it was free. I got it with the 1999 MSDN map I've just received today, it was in it :) I've taken a quick look on it, and it looks as if it contains (at least) the following):
    Access Y2K updates
    Date Migration Tools for Excel 97/2000
    Internet Explorer 5.0
    Internet Explorer 16-bit
    MDAC update
    Money 99 Updates
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 and other Y2K fixes
    Outlook Experss 5 update
    Office 95/97 updates
    Windows 3.1 Y2K updates
    Windows 95/98 Y2K updates
    Word 5.5 Y2K updates
    Works 3.0 & 4.5 Y2K updates

Quote:
Yeah, it's weird how certain things (ThinkPads, Apple laptops etc) seem to stay expensive even when they're quite old (and even broken!). An example is the Apple AirPort card - it's an old outdated 11 Mbps WiFi card, like a PC Card but slightly smaller so it fits in the slot inside an Apple G3/G4 system - a similar wifi card for a PC would cost nothing, but because lots of people have these Apple machines but there's relatively few cards around (they stopped making them a while back because the newer Macs only take the newer 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme cards, and at the time they were an expensive optional extra that relatively few people chose as wireless networks were far less common back then) the go for about £60 on eBay! Crazy! When we got broadband last summer we needed one, and eventually found one for £40 (not on eBay), but that's still ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's the demand for something that determines the price (or let's say value), not forcingly the capabilities and functions.

edit: Windows 2000 Beta3 RC1 (build 2000) installed well and I have already uploaded some screenshots for you :) However, I can't get the checked build of the same beta to run in VPC2007. Just hangs at the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" screen... It's the same with the checked "final" Beta3, build 2031. The non-checked build 2031 installs fine., but VPC2007 bombs out when it boots for the 1st time (unrecoverable processor error), so it d doesn't work there. So, non-checked build 2000 is the only one I've gotten to work in VPC2007.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]