BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 14h, 52m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 5482MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: LOL BestBuy.        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Well, a few weeks ago, I sent my eMachines T3882 to BestBuy for repairs. when I went to go get it. The guy told me, that the GeForce would kill my motherboard if I used it again.

Today, I took it and plugged it into my PCI Slot, set it up, and It worked!

That rep just lost every scrap of credability.

I just installed Windows Vista on it, after a hour of OSx86 (The Vista disc got messed up in that hour.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:48 am 
FTP Access

Yeah...we haven't used Geek Squad or Best Buy's services since 2002 or around that time period. Because that's when I finally told my parent's how to install Windows 98 SE with another partition on a hard drive the CORRECT way. lol

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: LOL BestBuy.        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:55 am 
Donator

Didn't know BestBuy/Geek Squad had any credibility to start with :P you should see the video on the Consumerist, they set up a machine with a screen recorder, then took it to Best Buy to get iTunes installed ... long story short, they were caught stealing pr0n off their machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:55 am 
Donator

are these geek squad members A+ Certified or do they just get random guys off the street?

I been trying to get into a place for technician anywhere I can and they didn't hire me, but I do have a chance at a small computer store in town.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 pm 
Donator

They are actually looking for someone with close to no knowledge. If you showed any actual ambitions to be a tech, or showed you had any skills whatsoever, you were probably much more than what they wanted.

It sort of makes sense in a very corporate kind of way. It would be too much of a problem having a tech staff like Geek Squad constantly having to deal with the varying levels of talent. So the only way to be sure if they are all on equal ground is to grab them when they are at 0.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I cannot stand either the "Geek Squad". They charge hundreds of dollars to "diagnose and attempt to repair" a machine. I've driven everyone I know away from there and now they come to me :-)

Take that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
PC World in the UK seems just as bad. They charge £40 ($80) to give your PC a 'health check', which basically consists of them running an anti-virus on your PC. The fact remains that in the same shop, they'll be selling anti-viruses for just £20 anyway.

Still, there's always a few people who do it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
RentedMule wrote:
They are actually looking for someone with close to no knowledge.

This is probably it, if they hired smart people they wouldn't be able to control them. Getting someone to follow a step by step list is a lot harder when they know what they're doing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:34 pm 
Donator

I could problary do their job in half the time, twice the better (performance) and half as less (cost).
I am not saying I am a professional, but those guys just charge too much for a lame job. How hard is it to upgraade to Windows Vista? I bet you a 8 year old could if he/she follow the steps and meets the requirements.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: LOL BestBuy.        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm 
FTP Access

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Didn't know BestBuy/Geek Squad had any credibility to start with :P you should see the video on the Consumerist, they set up a machine with a screen recorder, then took it to Best Buy to get iTunes installed ... long story short, they were caught stealing pr0n off their machine.
I remember reading about that on Wikipedia actually the other day. I was going to apply for a job with Geek Squad and decided to see what the "world" thinks about them, and I saw that and said NOPE! lol

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 am 
Donator

XDude wrote:
I could problary do their job in half the time, twice the better (performance) and half as less (cost).
I am not saying I am a professional, but those guys just charge too much for a lame job. How hard is it to upgraade to Windows Vista? I bet you a 8 year old could if he/she follow the steps and meets the requirements.

remember it is a business. they do need to make money (above running costs and paying staff). Also it shows that people are willing to pay it anyway

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:29 pm 
One of my clients couldn't wait for me to get back from a 3 day vacation and it cost her over $1200, half of which was "labor", to "fix" her issue at Best Buy. This was a $600 computer and her problem had to do with her internet connection which they never fixed. They ended up charging here to replace every component in the computer (including a floppy drive for $75, a new copy of windows xp pro, and new anti-spy ware/anti-virus.) and never once advised her that it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new computer for half what she spent. When she got it home and connected it up to her dsl modem, it still didn't work and she went back and asked for her $ back because they didn't fix the problem, and they refused, of course. It ended up being a bad DSL modem. AT&T sent her a new modem free of charge. She is now suing them in small claims.

I tell this story to any new or current client that calls for service and are shopping around for the best price if they mention taking their computer to Best Buy.

I have even told this story to people standing in line at the Geek Squad counter and given them my card. :)