MSN Blocking ALL URL's

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

MSN Blocking ALL URL's

Post by Andy »

I was just speaking to my good friend Callum when MSN suddenly stopped sending ALL url's and bouncing them back, however it doesn't block plain text messages. See the pic below...

This happening to anyone else? Isn't it against the law to interfere with communications in some countries? If something can block it doesn't that mean our messages are being intercepted in some way? Again isn't that against the law?

What do you think?

callumh

Post by callumh »

I think its silly! Why are they doing this? All I wanted to do was send a legitimate link to Andy over MSN!

dean corso
FTP Access

Post by dean corso »

I tested it with
www.microsoft.com
and
www.msn.de

didn't work here

dean

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Microsoft got sick of rickrolling again?

Nahh I'm guessing this is a glitch in their servers, they have absolutely no reason to block *all* URLs ... sure dodgy-looking URLs with things like "download.exe" in them, but not all URLs....
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

callumh

Post by callumh »

What servers is everyone using? Their country-specific server or another one?

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

Same thing happened to me with Windows Live Messenger about two weeks ago. I haven't had the problem since though.

/me doesn't know.

EDIT addition (I'm in the U.S.)
Last edited by milatchi on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Here the same... I also noticed some days ago that you cant send the string "stuff.zip" whereas "crack.zip" is working fine... damn idiots

Popbob
FTP Access

Post by Popbob »

It's working for me.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Seems to be working here too.

callumh

Post by callumh »

Here aswell now.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

It does not work for me. Everytime I send a link i get this "the following bla bla..." Im getting kinda angry with that (oh, tinypic links work)

OG
FTP Access

Post by OG »

Microsoft (well actualy a 3rd party contractor paid by M$) have been blocking certain urls for a long time, at least 2 years. Though it seems to be intermittent, sometimes I can send messages with isohunt url's and other times it just shows up blank at the other end. They've also blocked youtube, deviantart and googlepages urls at times. Something to do with their obviously retarded spam/malware/warez filter come net nanny.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

OG wrote:Microsoft (well actualy a 3rd party contractor paid by M$) have been blocking certain urls for a long time, at least 2 years. Though it seems to be intermittent, sometimes I can send messages with isohunt url's and other times it just shows up blank at the other end. They've also blocked youtube, deviantart and googlepages urls at times. Something to do with their obviously retarded spam/malware/warez filter come net nanny.
Good point, but can everybody please stop using the M$ and instead use MS (normal S).
I know that not everybody like microsoft, but i do and i find this an insult, like they are only after money.

(I dont want to start a flame war, but this is driving me mad).

OG
FTP Access

Post by OG »

Being a commercial entity, they are only after money. They certainly dont do it to make the world a brighter place.

Leon
Donator

Post by Leon »

OG wrote:Being a commercial entity, they are only after money. They certainly dont do it to make the world a brighter place.
LOL true, they aren't exactly gonna make windows open source soon, are they?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

DjRob wrote:
OG wrote:Microsoft (well actualy a 3rd party contractor paid by M$) have been blocking certain urls for a long time, at least 2 years. Though it seems to be intermittent, sometimes I can send messages with isohunt url's and other times it just shows up blank at the other end. They've also blocked youtube, deviantart and googlepages urls at times. Something to do with their obviously retarded spam/malware/warez filter come net nanny.
Good point, but can everybody please stop using the M$ and instead use MS (normal S).
I know that not everybody like microsoft, but i do and i find this an insult, like they are only after money.

(I dont want to start a flame war, but this is driving me mad).
I'm going to make M$ into MS with filtering.

callumh

Post by callumh »

Back on topic, what do you think caused MSN to block all URLs? Was it an accident, or did MS do it on purpose?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

callumh wrote:Back on topic, what do you think caused MSN to block all URLs? Was it an accident, or did MS do it on purpose?
No idea but they're blocking stuff again today but its not bouncing, just not delivering them.

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

DjRob wrote: can everybody please stop using the M$ and instead use MS (normal S).
I hate to digress, but in the case of Microsoft... they are only after the money. I didn't think they [Microsoft] had ever made any illusions about it. Many people envy Microsoft their fortune and success but that's not where the disdain for the company comes from. It's Microsoft's method of achieving fiscal success and market dominance that people find repugnant; their blatant disregard of law, other companies, and other companies IP. No group ever steps up to properly punish Microsoft because they might only be hurting themselves in the long run because like it or not "The world runs on Windows."
Andy wrote:I'm going to make M$ into MS with filtering.
May I also propose we filter the phrase "Macs suck" to something I don't find insulting, like "Donkey Balls." -- or "Donkey Bollocks" for those in the U.K.
I've seen "Macs suck" a lot on the internet and I find this an insult. Like Macs suck any more than other computers that are made of cheap parts by underpaid workers in China or Taiwan -- and before any newly baptized Mac zealots rush to tell me of the high-quality caliber of Apple's hardware let me tell you what is on the counter beside me at work. Beside me sit four black matte intel iMacs (none over 3-months old). Three have bad Logicboards the fourth a bad display. I've been using a Mac since 1995 so I'm seasoned in the ways of Apple. I just didn't want anyone to think this post a unilateral hit on Microsoft. Because on a lot of things (compatibility, rollbacks, updates) I trust Microsoft a little more not to screw me over than Apple.

By the above I mean to point out that making an exception for one group has the potential to open up making exceptions for everyone and everything little thing: "Macs suck", "Micr$oft", "Slowaris." The potential arises for superfluous censorship and newspeak.

Back on track: it's your forum Andy and I'm glad to be a part of the community so filter what you like.

Now that I've said all that it's back to work. I have some shell scripts to finish.
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Personally I do think macs suck, but only because of my personal experience with them. I would never say its the case for everyone else too but I do joke about it.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Agreed ^. I had to use them on a network at college last year, and they were awful. They broke all the time! I'll give them this, though, it's easy to bypass security.

They only seemed any good for photo/video editing - definitely not PROGRAMMING at any rate... I wouldn't mind a Mac Classic, though .
Have a day.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

It seems here that MSN is not blocking website anymore, not a single one.