What should we do with this computer?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
4tified
Donator

What should we do with this computer?

Post by 4tified »

Okay, my wife and I both have newer PC's (She has a Dell Inspiron 9300 and I have a Dell Latitude D830), but we still have an older 400MHz Slot 1 PII Store-built system hanging around here. It's old and slow, but my wife's father bought it for her a few months before he died...she doesn't want to give it up, as it's the last thing she got from him. Instead of letting it rot in a closet, what practicle application could we use it for? Note that the board only supports 256MB memory and a 400MHz PII is the fastest that will work. I can easily get a 40GB HD in there though. Any ideas?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Maybe you could set it up as a server or something like that. Old PC's are great for reliability running as a server and often very low power too. Whack some big hard drives into it, IDE or USB alike and use it for storage/backup.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Andy wrote:Maybe you could set it up as a server or something like that. Old PC's are great for reliability running as a server and often very low power too. Whack some big hard drives into it, IDE or USB alike and use it for storage/backup.
I thought about that. I think if I do so, I will have to put a wireless card in it and store it somewhere out of the way since our wireless router is mounted 6 feet up on a wall.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

4tified wrote:
Andy wrote:Maybe you could set it up as a server or something like that. Old PC's are great for reliability running as a server and often very low power too. Whack some big hard drives into it, IDE or USB alike and use it for storage/backup.
I thought about that. I think if I do so, I will have to put a wireless card in it and store it somewhere out of the way since our wireless router is mounted 6 feet up on a wall.
I'm still thinking home server... little blog you's could share... little website, have photo galleries, or just hidden file shares ...theres alot you can do with a 400mhz box and 256mb of RAM.

If you can, get Server 2003 on it, it will run faster.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Yeah it will run, but 3/4 of the system memory is stored on the HD, wich is making it slow.

Run it with Windows 2000 Server.

djdanster
FTP Access

Post by djdanster »

maybe a server with pics of her dad on so she can remember him that way aswell

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

If you're going to have it connected to your network with wifi, I wouldn't use it as a server. It isn't really fast enough, especially if you start storing videos and other large files.

Personally if I had a machine like that, I'd set it up near the stereo and use it to play music and internet radio. I've got a 400MHz notebook connected to my stereo at home, running Windows FLP and musikCube. It connects to my other machine which has a 200gb hdd in it with all the music. The musikCube software takes a bit of getting used to, but it's pretty good considering it gives you a media library and everything in about 12MB of RAM.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

dean corso
FTP Access

Post by dean corso »

if this computer has a usb prot, put windows 2000 on it and use it as a archive for digital stuff.
or put a windows collection on it^^ can be fun too

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

FAIL>>>

The power supply went bad.

Gotta find another PS before I can go any further.

It has a 40GB primary HD in it. (I don't do anything less than 20GB anymore, regardless of the age of the computer.)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think making it into a file server is a good idea. I know WiFi isn't excatly speedy, but I think this will only be for archive purposes anyway. Good for small files and daily backups anyway. I also installed a USB 2.0 card, so external storage won't be an issue either I also put in a DVD-RW drive and PC100 IDE RAID card....maybe a little excess, but this stuff's just lying around anyway.

RGaspar

Post by RGaspar »

AS a core gamer I coud tell you that you've a golden oportunity to install some old o.s. on that machine and play vintage games natively.

Always better than any virtualization stuff.
I'm so newbie here.

I'm speechless

Bigern1990
FTP Access

Post by Bigern1990 »

Yeah, the simplest and coolest thing you could probably do with it in my opinion is to turn it into a media streaming box. It also won't need much ram/processing power either to stream media. You can have multiple computers hit it and it should be fine.

Stream movies, music, pictures, etc to all the other computers in your house. You can use it as a place to store important files as well as large downloads, etc.

It would allow you to free up space on your everyday computers by storing your media files and larger files on the server.

In the end though, turning it into some kinda of server is probably best.

InsaneNutter
FTP Access

Post by InsaneNutter »

Turn it in to an advanced router by installing Smoothwall http://www.smoothwall.org/ or IPCop http://www.ipcop.org/ on it.

It would be doing something useful then!

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

If you're into torrents, you could use it as a seed server.