BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 31d, 6h, 16m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 2808MB of 4645MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Which one do you use the most?
Firefox 75%  75%  [ 77 ]
Internet Explorer 18%  18%  [ 18 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 102
 PostPost subject: IE vs. Firefox        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:45 pm 
FTP Access

So, Which browser do you use more

I prefer Firefox, it's cleaner and unlike Internet Explorer, it has alot of good add-ons and skins

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:59 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Firefox. For several reasons though.

1. I find that it renders pages much faster. I don't know if its down to the fact it renders as the page loads or because it actually is faster but it certainly seems that way.

2. If you code a site for firefox, you code it for Opera, Safari and Netscape all at the same time. Afterwards, you do tweaks, if necessary, to get it working with Internet Explorer.

3. Addons. I use two major addons. Adblock and Web Developers Toolbar. Two of the most powerful tools I've come across that I use on a daily basis with firefox and my normal browsing habits.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:55 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Firefox, and I'll be participating in the world record attempt for FF3 :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

Well I always didn't want to believe that Firefox is superior to IE.
But then I realised that it's a very good browser.

Andy, you're right. I also think that it loads pages faster than IE.
And it has turned off that annoyed "smooth scrolling" by default.

I can't live without Adblock Plus anymore. And with the "vista-aero" skin it looks really close to IE7 :)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:35 pm 
Donator

Firefox. There isn't nearly as much malware written to take advantage of bugs in Firefox. It's more standards compliant. Ad-ons (AdBlock Plus, PDF Downloader, and tons of plugins for web development).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:47 pm 
FTP Access

callumh wrote:
Firefox, and I'll be participating in the world record attempt for FF3 :D

So will I :)

Firefox is a very good tbrowser to me and plus Firefox has IE Tab, so you can still use Internet Explorer sorta on Firefox ;)

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:58 pm 
FTP Access

I support both Firefox and Internet Explorer, but Firefox is the better browser. It has lower security issues (and Mozilla patches them quickly, compared to once-a-month with Internet Explorer) and it is completely standards compliant, as of Firefox 3 RC3.

I use Opera on my computer now though because Windows Update screwed up and gave me an out of date "update" to my video driver, and now scrolling in Firefox is very sluggish. I do plan to switch back to Firefox when my laptop comes back from the repair shop. :D

I will download Firefox 3 on the word-record-attempt download day!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:11 pm 
I use Firefox, however the only reason I do use it is because it renders pages more correctly, uses less RAM and back when I used IE, Firefox had tabs, IE didn't. And I really do love my tabs, however I still use Internet Explorer, why?

I do own some sites, when I'm having to design the CSS, layout and the images, I have to make sure they work exactly the same on all browsers, including Firefox 1.5, 2, 3, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 BETA. This is because I want to give the perfect experience for my users and don't want any problems, I just wish all websites were like this. The whole Website "Designed" for Firefox just shows that the designer was lazy, worse when they force a browser, you're just limiting your users.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 pm 
FTP Access

Krigo wrote:
I use Firefox, however the only reason I do use it is because it renders pages more correctly, uses less RAM and back when I used IE, Firefox had tabs, IE didn't. And I really do love my tabs, however I still use Internet Explorer, why?

I do own some sites, when I'm having to design the CSS, layout and the images, I have to make sure they work exactly the same on all browsers, including Firefox 1.5, 2, 3, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 BETA. This is because I want to give the perfect experience for my users and don't want any problems, I just wish all websites were like this. The whole Website "Designed" for Firefox just shows that the designer was lazy, worse when they force a browser, you're just limiting your users.

I can understand that and that is very good of you :)

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 pm 
Indeed, it really annoys me some designer does boycott a certain software, everyone uses one of these browsers, so it's great to support them and make sure that they have the best experience possible, it's also good to see that IE8 is finally improving it's rendering, meaning that people like me will find it easier to design a website now.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:55 pm 
FTP Access

Firefox 3 still faster than IE 7 or IE8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Donator

I like Firefox because Internet Explorer I find is much slower bringing up pages. Sure Internet Explorer loads quick but Firefox brings up pages quick.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm 
Donator

While I haven't done the tests myself, I've read tests of many others and they all show RAM usage and page load times are lower with Firefox than they are Internet Explorer. Another reason to use it.

If only it could be managed by Group Policy, then they'd really grab a large chunk of corporate users.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:29 pm 
Firefox is much better th IE as it have opensource plugins and not trial plugins like IE.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:21 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I find IE7's interface too bulky. I mean how big do the tabs have to be! I feel that there is a lot of wasted space towards the top of the browser, unlike Firefox, which populates every feature in the navigation toolbar. I don't like the fact the URL bar is the first toolbar either. Does anyone else feel this too about IE7?

Edit: I forgot to say, if you use Gmail, you should use Firefox's Better Gmail 2 plugin. It's 'redesigned' theme (optional feature) is awesome! See it here!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

i prefer safari, when i am working on my mac mini. when i am worrking on linux, i prefer firefox. firefox feels more stable than konquer^^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

Real men use Opera. Faster that FF3 and IE8 put together. That said, with all the FF fanboi ranting about the evil insecure Internet Explorer, Ive yet to see a case where any exploitation wasnt as a direct result of the users incompitence. Also, lets not forget FF itself is not exactly 'secure' and Mozilla can be just as slow at releasing vunerability patches as Microsoft. The firefox fanboy non-logic that everyone should use firefox because IE is crap, will only shift the focus of attack to firefox as its popularity grows. Less than 24 hours after its release, a vunerability was found. To put it another way, IE currently has 9 oustanding vunerabilities which added together are less of a threat than the 1 outsatnding FF3 vunerability. Opera of course has 0, Safari has 3 and Konqueror has 2. FF3 is currently the highest threat level common use browser. More secure? Dont think so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Its actually rumored that the vulnerability in FF3 was present in FF2 and the it wasn't a coincidence that they only told us a few hours after FF3 was released... I don't like Opera's interface.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
When I was an internet noob, I used Internet Explorer 4, then 5, then 5.5, and finally 6.

But then, in late 2004, Firefox 1.0 came out, and since everyone was raving about it, I downloaded and decided to use it. I loved it. I realized then how superior it was to IE, particularly with features like tabbed browsing that IE6 lacked.

But, when Opera 8.5 came out, I gave it a spin and fell in love with that instead. I eventually slowly migrated away from Firefox, skipping both the 1.5 and 2.0 releases.

But, with the release of the Firefox 3.0 betas, I am in love with Firefox again.

I like IE7, and often use as a backup browser, but unfortunately, the competition offers far more superior products.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

I use netscape 8 in firefox rendering mode (other than for Windows Update)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm 
I've used Firefox for the last couple of years and with the amount of customisation you can do make your very own personal fast secure web browser, it was very easy for me to persuaded to switch.
Plus with the new release of Firefox 3, now it's even better in nearly every way compared to IE7.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 am 
I'd use firefox if only for the speed increases (it loads Javascript SO MUCH FASTER than IE it's unreal, but I also like the extensions. I've got 12 installed on here, all doing a specific job (most of which help with web design.

The speed alone is reason to use it, and the extensions make life so much simpler.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 pm 
FTP Access

i use FF3 with the IE tab add-on

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 am 
i'll like the firefox one, because it based on the standart wc3 engine and displays all sites fast and secure (without activex) ;-). if your an developer you should install the ie-addon for firefox !

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM x86-64
Firefox 3 (and also other Mozilla products Thnderbird, FileZilla), Opera on cellphone

Top  Profile  ICQ