Amateur Radio

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

Amateur Radio

Post by Andy »

Hey all,

Does anyone besides me on the forum have an Amateur Radio (Ham) License?

I was listening on a few frequencies over the last few days, trying to see if I could head NA1SS, which is the callsign for the International Space Station. All I could hear was packet data, but its a start!

Here is some of my equipment:-

My handheld: Kenwood TH-75E, 2 Meter and 70cm dual band set. Output 0.5watts/1.5watts/5watts.

My base rig: Yaesu FT-230R, 2 Meter set. Output 10watts/30watts.

I have a Slim Jim full wave 2 Meter antenna on the roof and I have a Quad band mag mount for the car which works on 70cm, 2m, 6m and 10m.

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

I use only carrier pigeons myself; I even surf the web using them.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

theSpam
FTP Access

Post by theSpam »

I'm not so much in to ham radio, but scanners have always caught my interest.

The idea of listening to police and stuff not available on conventional radio is intriguing (it's unfortunate that the UK has laws prohibiting this).

Eventually, I'll get a Uniden BCD396T when I feel I know enough radios/scanners for it to be not a waste of money.