DSL Modems

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
PhantomX
FTP Access

DSL Modems

Post by PhantomX »

My DSL modem speedstream 4100 is acting up, When you push the button on the back to start,It won't go on... I have too hold the button in for over
30 seconds.. Anyway can i use a 5100 instead ? Are all DSL Modems
Basically the same ?

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Yes, you can use the 5100. I've got a 4100 and a 5100 and they both work fine.

EDIT: Aparently, you're using SBC, as am I.

Call them and explain what happened. They might ship you a replacement unit.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

All DSL modems do the same thing by providing net connectivity but if your modem is one of the 'dumb' modems or whatever that dont need no login/password then you'd need ot get a replacement from your ISP

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

They're all the same, even if you don't get one from your ISP they are all configurable. PPPoe, DHCP, whatever you want. You'll probably just have to call your ISP to have them configure it, or walk you through configuring it over the phone. Worst case scenario is that they have a technician come out to your house to set it up. Just try to get a new one shipped to you from your ISP. If they want to charge you for one ask them which model they are going to ship you, then look around for it online.