LAN Party

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

LAN Party

Post by Andy »

LAN Party

Playing Sven Coop, gMod, Battlefield, Command and Conquer Generals and many more...

My PC is the one on the log-on screen. We even have a fellow female LAN Party'er! That deserves respect

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

I can one-up that

I've got to arrange for a small LAN like that, if I wasn't so busy with work...
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

More pics:

Front left: Ben (aka Snipes)
Back left: James (aka Samauri_Pxi)
Back: Tom (aka Lord_T)
Back right: Dave (aka Dave... lol)
Front right: Philippa (aka Phillis_Willis)
Front: Andy (me) (aka Andy... lol)

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Needs moar people

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Nice to have people to sneer at while playing each other...lots better than everyone in different rooms.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

but having it like that leads to screening!

expert01
FTP Access

Post by expert01 »

Holy crap, the numa numa guy! Awesome! I want to go to THAT lan party!!!

Maybe we should organize a giant cross-world LAN party using Hamachi or another VPN system.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Lag anyone?

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Come round!
Gigabyte network
Suppose i could host a LAN parteh.
Just couldn't be assed to do it

InsaneNutter
FTP Access

Re: LAN Party

Post by InsaneNutter »

Andy wrote:We even have a fellow female LAN Party'er! That deserves respect
If she is good enough to kick your ass at Counter Strike you can have even more respect

Andy
Administrator

Re: LAN Party

Post by Andy »

InsaneNutter wrote:
Andy wrote:We even have a fellow female LAN Party'er! That deserves respect
If she is good enough to kick your ass at Counter Strike you can have even more respect
she can, lol.

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

We had a LAN at school on Monday:
first we had a small pre-lan before the real thing instead of going home:
Then later at the real lan:
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

InsaneNutter
FTP Access

Post by InsaneNutter »

I’m surprised your school actually let you have a lan
All them network cables are crazy

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

InsaneNutter wrote:I’m surprised your school actually let you have a lan
If I remember correctly its not a school, its a University. They have a few events every year from what I remember.

InsaneNutter
FTP Access

Post by InsaneNutter »

Andy wrote:
InsaneNutter wrote:I’m surprised your school actually let you have a lan
If I remember correctly its not a school, its a University. They have a few events every year from what I remember.
That would sound about right, I could see my Uni letting us do this but never our school... we weren’t even allowed mobile phones back in school

I can see this becoming the official post your Lan party photos thread, might have to dig some of mine out... we had a crazy 3 day one last summer... can’t remember if we took any photos or not!

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

Actually this is was at my school, we were about 45 people, we also had another lan in february with 30 people. The entire network was done in about 10 minutes, which explains the cable mess.

The Uni events are in february and october, with 300 and 700 people respectively.
InsaneNutter wrote:we weren’t even allowed mobile phones back in school 0
Wtf was the reasoning behind this; at our school we are required to have laptops for work and the last 2 weeks I've spent surfing the internet in class.

InsaneNutter
FTP Access

Post by InsaneNutter »

longview wrote:Wtf was the reasoning behind this; at our school we are required to have laptops for work and the last 2 weeks I've spent surfing the internet in class.
By school I mean high school where you go from 11-16, they caused a lot of trouble so the school banned them, although everyone still brought them in anyway.

In university, which I think your referring to as school? We can have whatever we want, people often walk out of tutorials to answer their phone and a lot of people just mess about on laptops.

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

Ah that makes sense, what I'm refering to as school is what the Americans call high-school, i.e. 16-18 (or 19 depending on what you choose).
This year I'm taking a general electronics (electronics, house installations, automation and everything electrical) class; next year will be just electronics (computer hardware, (CC)TV, some programming, AV).

Actually I think my last school (13-15) also banned cell-phones and MP3 players in class, but nobody really cared there either.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

If the teachers see you texting in class, usually they'll just tell you to put it away, but in middle school (age 11-14, grade 6 - they'd take your phones.

The administors (school staff, principals, etc) will take your phone on sight...
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Bender wrote:If the teachers see you texting in class, usually they'll just tell you to put it away, but in middle school (age 11-14, grade 6 - they'd take your phones.

The administors (school staff, principals, etc) will take your phone on sight...
I bet you didn't know you can refuse to give them your phone if they ask?

If they ask for your phone, and you don't give it to them, they can't do anything. They can't take it by force. If you do decide to give it to them it must be returned as soon as you ask for it, end of the lesson/day or not. If they don't, its classed as theft. Seriously, I should know. I did it once and got the teacher into trouble once I made a formal complaint. Needless to say we never really saw eye to eye after that day but it was fun from that point on. She never picked on me again

Seriously though. They're not your parents. They have no more rights than any other person. Your parents can probably take it off you if they wanted If they (teachers) use any force to take it, its theft. End of. You have to be willing

</rant>

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

At my last school phone's were taking from students when they saw it, but they got it back after school.

But there was 1 student that refused to give her phone, and after a times asked, she was said to leave the school for the rest of the day and the next day she would must reported to the school head, but even after saying that she refused to leave the school.

After a few minutes the police was called and after a few minutes they arrived but she still refused to leave the school and she was removed by force and was banned from that school.

But she was known as a trouble maker, and this was the last school for 12-16 in our town so she had to go to another town to go to school.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Andy wrote:
Bender wrote:If the teachers see you texting in class, usually they'll just tell you to put it away, but in middle school (age 11-14, grade 6 - they'd take your phones.

I bet you didn't know you can refuse to give them your phone if they ask?

If they ask for your phone, and you don't give it to them, they can't do anything. They can't take it by force. If you do decide to give it to them it must be returned as soon as you ask for it, end of the lesson/day or not. If they don't, its classed as theft. Seriously, I should know. I did it once and got the teacher into trouble once I made a formal complaint. Needless to say we never really saw eye to eye after that day but it was fun from that point on. She never picked on me again

Seriously though. They're not your parents. They have no more rights than any other person. Your parents can probably take it off you if they wanted If they (teachers) use any force to take it, its theft. End of. You have to be willing

</rant>
Yup. If they want my phone, they can get a court order. I'm not handing it over.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"