small linux distro

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
nickenzi
Donator

small linux distro

Post by nickenzi »

hello,
when i went to costa rica last year, the computers there had a live linux cd in them that would boot then open firefox. that's it. when firefox was closed, it would open another instance. i was wondering if anyone knows the name of that distro because i can't remember nor find it anywhere.
Thanks!
............................[url=gopher://nickmaslon.com]Visit my gopher site![/url]

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Heck dude. Pick any live cd that has firefox. Ubuntu, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux... whatever. Edit the .xinitrc to have something like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

firefox
wmaker &
firefox will start, but it is a blocking call, so the script will stall until firefox ends. Then start your window manager (or whatever). The & on the end just means to run it asynchronously (non-blocking).

moonlit
FTP Access

Post by moonlit »

RentedMule wrote:Heck dude. Pick any live cd that has firefox. Ubuntu, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux... whatever. Edit the .xinitrc to have something like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

firefox
wmaker &
firefox will start, but it is a blocking call, so the script will stall until firefox ends. Then start your window manager (or whatever). The & on the end just means to run it asynchronously (non-blocking).
Nice, I was gonna look up how to do that at some point after looking at XBMC (XBOX Media Center) for Linux, saved me the effort, thanks.

PhantomX
FTP Access

Post by PhantomX »

DSL or Dam Small Linux is one of the smallest distros, Also take a look at tinyMe Linux and DreamLinux.. Also peanut Linux..

urban92

Post by urban92 »

Puppy Linux 4.0 is small and functional. I direct it. Firefox is in pet packages for this system SLAX and Firefox plugin is pretty olny for Live CD.

DSL based on old kernel 2.4 - only for very old machines.