BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 12h, 38m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 1835MB of 3253MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows Vista RTM has leaked        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:24 am 
Donator

Windows Vista RTM has leaked on to newsgroups, not long for them to leak on many P2P sites as well. The build leaked is in fact x86 Build 6000.16386.
The key supplied with the leaked RTM does not go with the build but still gives you the option to install without a cdkey. There is a rumored activation crack floating around on many newsgroups. Bad day for MS but this just will give them more time to beef up security.

-Fusion

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:26 am 
Donator

I knew it would happen sooner or later... ::wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Downloading to the FTP, ETA 15mins :D Thats assuming it works of course. Downloading at 970KB/s, uploading at 500KB/s on the torrent :D

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:42 am 
FTP Access

Microsoft themselves might release the same thing themselves as a trial at some stage, I guess. With it looking hard to use Vista without a valid key, they might be confident enough to do a trial version of Vista (like they do Server 2003 trials).

Anyway, good to here that we'll be getting it very soon :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:42 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
5 mins left 8)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 am 
Donator

Andy, that's amazing, I'll surely try it out. A connection as fast as yours must be the best for torrents :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:54 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Its done :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:57 am 
FTP Access

This is great :). I'm trying to get a copy to test for myself, or I might just use as my main OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:59 am 
FTP Access

I cant wait to see the new vista

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:18 am 
Donator

Windows.Vista.RTM.Activation.Crack-iND - Comfirmed Working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:31 am 
Donator

Fusion wrote:
Windows.Vista.RTM.Activation.Crack-iND - Comfirmed Working.

May I have the link through PM?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 pm 
FTP Access

Currently there is 3 cracks for RTM that lets people activate using their beta/rc key.

All 3 cracks do the same, just released by different groups.
I posted the names of the releases in this thread: http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434

..along with the All In One DVD of Vista containing both 32Bit and 64Bit, although I don't have a connection fast enough to upload it unless I want to spend alot of hours on doing it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Just downloaded it yesterday but haven't got enough time to test it...

btw, is the build "6000.16385.061030-1720" avaliable on somewhere?
(PM or MSN please)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 am 
Staff

This build isnt actually the very final one.
There was one on the 8th November which may have more stuff in it, but I doubt it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:03 am 
Donator

the november 8th one is an internal build i think, and the one we have now is the RTM one

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 am 
If you guys have any build with the names Bill Gates. It's fake.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:41 am 
FTP Access

boboy2u wrote:
If you guys have any build with the names Bill Gates. It's fake.

In what way? It works for me, and is the November 1st build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:44 am 
Donator

@Vista Ultimate R2
What's the RAM usage right after booting up? Can you please check that for me? I haven't had the time to install that build, yet. Performance is okay for you in VMware, isn't it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Any further discussion of cracks and this topic is locked. Just a fair warning.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:16 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
What's the RAM usage right after booting up? Can you please check that for me? I haven't had the time to install that build, yet. Performance is okay for you in VMware, isn't it?

I've made a few screenshots of the task manager - I left it a few minutes after booting but not doing anything, as it seems to load quite a few of the services while after logon (I think this is this "Delayed Start" thing that you might have noticed in the Services console). CPU/disk usage is really high for me in that minute or two after logon, although I suppose on a real machine it would probably happen much quicker and without the slowdown. During that time the memory usage of all the tasks is changing a bit, like it does all the time in unstable beta builds, but it settles down after that time where it's still loading stuff is over to be stable like XP.

What you see is before tweaking any services so it's as it would be out-of-the-box (complete with nonsense wasting resources - I think there's a Tablet PC service on by default, or at least there was in the beta), although there are 2 VMware Tools services in there.

The VM is allocated 512 MB RAM - memory usage may be higher on a machine with more Ram as I think Vista scales what it takes to how much is available.

Image Image Image

Performance isn't bad - boot and logon is a bit long, but once you've let it load everything after logon the start menu appears instantly, Explorer windows take about 1 second to open (the outline and title bar (or should we say title-less bar now?!) appear first, and then the contents of the windows a second later - once the window is open, navigating to another is really quick, although it's annoying that all the filenames in the system32 folder have vanished for me!), IE takes about 2 or 3 seconds to load on first load since boot, WMP about the same length of time, context menus are instant, dragging windows around the screen is smooth. It is slower than XP etc are in VMware, but not horribly so, and I imagine on a real machine you wouldn’t notice the difference (certainly some say it's faster because the graphics work is passed on to the GPU, which on XP isn't doing much)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:30 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:

I've made a few screenshots of the task manager - I left it a few minutes after booting but not doing anything, as it seems to load quite a few of the services while after logon (I think this is this "Delayed Start" thing that you might have noticed in the Services console). CPU/disk usage is really high for me in that minute or two after logon, although I suppose on a real machine it would probably happen much quicker and without the slowdown. During that time the memory usage of all the tasks is changing a bit, like it does all the time in unstable beta builds, but it settles down after that time where it's still loading stuff is over to be stable like XP.

What you see is before tweaking any services so it's as it would be out-of-the-box (complete with nonsense wasting resources - I think there's a Tablet PC service on by default, or at least there was in the beta), although there are 2 VMware Tools services in there.

The VM is allocated 512 MB RAM - memory usage may be higher on a machine with more Ram as I think Vista scales what it takes to how much is available.

Image Image Image

Performance isn't bad - boot and logon is a bit long, but once you've let it load everything after logon the start menu appears instantly, Explorer windows take about 1 second to open (the outline and title bar (or should we say title-less bar now?!) appear first, and then the contents of the windows a second later), IE takes about 2 or 3 seconds to load on first load since boot, WMP about the same length of time, context menus are instant, dragging windows around the screen is smooth. It is slower than XP etc are in VMware, but not horribly so, and I imagine on a real machine you wouldn’t notice the difference (certainly some say it's faster because the graphics work is passed on to the GPU, which on XP isn't doing much)

Thanks for all that information and the screenshots :) Yes, when judging the performance, you should always remember that you're running it in a VM. When I was running some Vista/Longhorn (Server) beta builds in Parallels Desktop on my Intel Mac, it ran smoothly most of the time, although it hogged one of the cores, sometimes completely (but as there was a second core, this was no real problem). It was certainly not slow, but I have experienced some really short pauses (maybe half a second) that only occurred when running Vista/Longhorn, not with other guest OSes. Maybe that's because Parallels doesn't "officially" support Vista 100%, it's still classified as experimental, IIRC.

I can't comment on the high CPU usage after boot-up thing as I haven't looked in the Task Manager (and the VM always hogs the core it's running on...), but as yours, my OS was completely untweaked, I only disabled the Vista UI and switched back to the good old Windows 2000 Classic theme. But as I have also run Vista Starter in a VM, there shouldn't have been much unnecessary services running as Starter doesn't support a lot of the stuff found in the higher editions (although there was quite a bunch of services running indeed).

Booting and logging on has always been fast for me, but I have to say this Intel Mac is a screamer :) I've had it (the VM) set to 512MB of RAM, too. More was unnecessary for my tests and it was enough.

My actual question is, however: How does it feel compared to the last beta you were running (was it RC2?)? Is it faster, smoother, anything like that?

edit: Looking at the Task Manager, the RAM usage of RTM is lower than in the beta builds, as these have always used like 270-300MB or more after booting up and here it's "just" ~230MB. Removal of some debug code? And there are less processes if I remember correctly.

PS: The 230MB of RAM seem to be a kind of a "sweetest spot" in Vista – the betas wouldn't boot with less than ~220MB of RAM. :wink: Could you do a test with only 256MB of RAM? Just to know what it feels like.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:42 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
My actual question is, however: How does it feel compared to the last beta you were running (was it RC2?)? Is it faster, smoother, anything like that?

Hard to say really, as they always feel a little slow in the VM. Possibly Explorer windows etc open slightly faster, although 5744 was also reasonably fast I thought. The desktop seems to form quickly after the welcome screen goes when logging on, which is nice. The main annoyance with this build compared with the betas is not being able to activate! I actually remember thinking when getting my keys off MS and activating during the beta something like "if only the final version worked in this way - just grab your key and activate!"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:04 am 
Donator

The "BillGates"-Release has an error, but there is a magic program with patches the ISO to an great working MSDN-one :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:43 am 
FTP Access

the billgates release itself is nuked with 5840 +5744 files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am 
FTP Access

cooled wrote:
the billgates release itself is nuked with 5840 +5744 files.

I'm running it now, should I be concerned? ;)

Top  Profile