Monitor Question

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
inxsfan92
FTP Access

Monitor Question

Post by inxsfan92 »

is it possible to use a vga monitor on an rgb connection?

reason i ask is my old commodore 1084 monitors swicth went bad

and all i got are couple 15 inch vga monitors

thanks for the help

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

I'm not sure if such an adapter exists, but try looking on eBay. You might also find a new monitor for your really old Commodore, which would be even better.

inxsfan92
FTP Access

Post by inxsfan92 »

no what im saying is that the plugin on the back of the tandy looks identical to a VGA plug in. The commodore 1084 monitor is an RGBI monitor. could i just use a VGA monitor instead of an RGB monitor that originally came with it. the only alternitive that i could see if that doesn't work is to find and 8-bit ISA VGA card.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Can we get some pix of said connections?

inxsfan92
FTP Access

Post by inxsfan92 »

yeah sure gimme a few minutes

inxsfan92
FTP Access

Post by inxsfan92 »

Okay, so this is the one on my Tandy:

and this is the one on the back of my Commodore 1084 RGBI Monitor:

and this is the plugin on my HP Pavilion MX50 VGA Monitor:

you see, they all look the same, but I don't know if they actually are.

The computer is from 1987, if that means anything.

Sorry for the blurriness of the shots, had to use one hand.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

inxsfan92 wrote: you see, they all look the same, but I don't know if they actually are.
I dunno, the VGA connector has 15 pins while the Commodore RGB monitor has 9 ... a good place to look for pinouts is pinouts.ru. I think this is the one for the RGBI connector and this is the VGA. However, just because some of the pins say they are the same thing (the blue signal for instance) don't assume that wiring those two pins together on the different connectors will work. Google further, there's probably some guy who has done it before....
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

inxsfan92
FTP Access

Post by inxsfan92 »

just as i though

thanks for the info

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

That is a connector for a monochrome monitor. If you have an old word processor, or an old copy machine (before the built in LCD panels), this would be the kind of connector they used.

http://pinouts.ru/Video/mono_ttl_pinout.shtml

kjaer

Post by kjaer »

Are you trying to attach the 15" VGA monitor to the Tandy?

You're going to run into trouble, even if you manage to get the 9-pin video port adapted to the 15-pin monitor plug.

Your Tandy outputs a digital color signal, using a 15 KHz horizontal frequency.

Your VGA monitor most likely accepts only an analog (0.7V) color signal, using a minimum horizontal frequency of 31 KHz. There are a few VGA monitor models which will accept a 15 KHz signal; the Sony 1301 and original NEC Multisync are two such monitors. They are both very old. I haven't heard of any multifrequency VGA monitor made in the last 20 years which will accept anything less than a 31 KHz horizontal frequency.

The Commodore 1084 has a horizontal frequency of 15 KHz, and will accept both digital and analog color input (probably configured with a switch), so that it can be compatible with both the C= 8-bit machines (digital) and the Amiga (analog).

It'll probably help you to know that many old 16-bit ISA VGA cards will still work correctly when plugged into an 8-bit slot.

Good luck.

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

No, that's a connector for an EGA monitor. I have no idea how you're going to find a monitor or an adapter.

You could just look for an old EGA monitor, I haven't seen one in years though. Maybe you could find an EGA to composite, EGA to component, or EGA to VGA adapter. I have no idea if anyone makes them though, I've never seen one. If you get an EGA to composite you could plug it into a small TV, EGA to VGA and you could just use a newer monitor.

If you want to hack something together yourself, wikipedia has a pinout here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_G ... #Connector

Update: I found tons of old EGA (9-pin) to VGA (15-pin) adapters online, just look around for them. They're pretty cheap (<$10). Try Google Product Search.

Gamma
FTP Access

Post by Gamma »

Try to find a converter, there are a lot of them out there, Good Luck!