BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 5h, 40m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 6365MB of 11335MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Norton Ghost question        Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:40 am 
Donator

After a round of recent upgrades to my friends Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop including installing 2GB of RAM and Vista Ultimate, she now wants to upgrade the HDD to a 120GB HDD from the 40GB one in it.

Anyway, we look at HDD's blah blah blah we find one...but now theres a problem, I need to be able to transfer the 40gb HDD image over to the new Hard drive... except I can only plug in one HDD at a time. Would Norton Ghost allow me to copy the 40GB HDD image to a network share and then restore it onto the 120GB HDD?

I've never really used Ghost before so yeah...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I think that should work. I did just the same thing a couple months ago with some old desktop PC.
I assume Windows will be on that 40GB drive?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Make you get at least Ghost 12, that version or above can successfully read Windows Vista NTFS.

Otherwise you PC cant boot anymore without reinstalling.

You will need for a network share:

- Ghost Cast Server (on the pc you want it too store it) (At least there should be a DHCP Server (a router with DHCP functions is good enough, otherwise try to install a PC with Server 2000/2003)
- Ghost Boot disk (floppy or CD with the right DOS Drivers, because ghost runs from DOS)
- Or run Ghost32.exe from within a bootable PE disk, most of drivers are included in the PE disk.

And select in Ghost Server, CREATE image and for Restoring, RESTORE Image.

I can take a while but it depends on the speed of your network.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:05 pm 
Donator

If you want a boot disk for Ghost, use this one... it has drivers for lots of ethernet adapters. After you've booted from it, you can just type "net use g: \\your_server\ghost" or whatever to connect to a Windows share, run Ghost from the share, then tell Ghost to put the image on the network drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:19 am 
Donator

Depending on your knowledge of DOS and networking this can be easy to do or not. Look for Ghost Solution Suite v2, once you have that installed make sure you run LiveUpdate. Get back to us and I can help you out some more once you are past this point.

OR

What would probably be easier would be to use Acronis TrueImage Home. It's a very trivial program to use, everything is very straight forward. Make sure you have the latest version. Once it's installed you can make a bootable CD image with it (.ISO format). You'll need to burn this and you can boot up to it.

Use a USB-to-IDE to plug new hard-drive into the USB port and transfer all the old information to it using Acronis TrueImage Home, then put the new drive into the computer. I've used this method many times, you just have to plug the drive into the computer before you boot it up for TrueImage to recognize it.

You can find USB-to-IDE adapters here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... de&x=0&y=0
or I'm sure probably cheaper somewhere else. I have one and use it all the time, they're very convenient.

Top  Profile