BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 20h, 22m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 1792MB of 3121MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Compatibility sacriced for performance?        Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:48 pm 
FTP Access

I created a new system back in November last year (The start to be precise), and I've seem to be experiencing unsolvable issues with it. It functions perfectly (Well... nearly) under a 64bit Windows operating system, whilst it's very faulty under a 32bit Windows OS (I've tried; XP (Different service packs) and Vista (Different versions and pre-final versions).

The specs it was:
AMD X2 4000+ Socket AM2
Some ECS Elitegroup micro ATX motherboard
1GB DDR667Mhz RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT 512mb
300W Power supply

At first, I thought it was the motherboard, so I got a new motherboard and I still experienced issues. The second suggestion that I was new to was the power supply. So, I got a new power supply (I learned a bit more; understanding that a system can go through a stage known as "browning out", but not with bricks.) and some of the issues seemed to have faded.

The power supply was a 700W PSU (Some random make here)

Anyway, I still had issues. So, I try to ignore them, and I end up upgrading the system...

+1GB RAM DDR667Mhz RAM
+Ati X1950pro Ultimate (Sapphire) PCI-E 16x 256mb

Games run great, but the graphics card features it's own issue!! It seems to overheat! I mean, what the [censored]? Anyway, I put some thermal compound on it's GPU because it lacked quite a bit when I checked. Framerates have increased.

I took the power supply I got back because it was causing the energy bills to rise a little too much, and got a 750W WinPower PSU that's working fine currently.

Anyway, this year having the thought that it was the old HDD, I purchase a new SATA2 160GB Matrox HDD. Issue solved? Nope.

It was only recent I found that it functions perfectly fine under a 64bit operating system.

The issues....
Certain games won't run (APPLICATION NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE WERE INVCONVINENT SORRY FOR THE LULZ)

Certain programs won't function (APPLICATION NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE WERE INVCONVINENT SORRY FOR THE LULZ)

Programs stop working after the second or first time of use (APPLICATION NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE WERE INVCONVINENT SORRY FOR THE LULZ)

My previous system that I created was:
AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754
1GB DDR400 RAM
Geforce 6600 256mb
120GB 7200RPM IDE HDD

It worked perfectly fine, no hardware to software conflict issues. However, it just lacked performance as a year went on, so I decided to put together a new system. I knew something about the dual cores having a slight dysfunction but I didn't expect this. Anyway, I plan on either;

a)Getting an old socket 939 board PCI-E 16x compatible and then getting an old AMD 64 processor. Perhaps an AMD 64 3800+.

b)Create a core2 system, or purchase a new X2 processor.

It seems as if I sacrificed my compatibility for performance :/

Last edited by livelonger87 on Fri May 16, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Anxiously awaiting the next update, A+++ would read again.

Some programs don't work properly on Vista 64, they may need updates, or may be caused by poor driver support or just plain poor coding.

And why would you build a system with 1 gig of ram? 2 is where it's at.
E: Fine so you got another gig.
livelonger87 wrote:
APPLICATION NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE WERE INVCONVINENT SORRY FOR THE LULZ

wow, he's really going with that joke.

Last edited by longview on Sat May 17, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Also, you openly admit that your graphics card overheats, but you then proceed to wonder why your system is unstable?

Heard of making sure it runs cool? Heat only leads to instability and permanent hardware damage. You have to deal with that sort of thing straight away.

First thing I'd do is look at Case fans and Case cooling.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

*thread updated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:21 pm 
FTP Access

First thing I would do is run a full ram test with memtest86+. I had a bad stick a while back, and when trying to install windows it would tell me that a file on the disc was corrupted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 pm 
FTP Access

expert01 wrote:
First thing I would do is run a full ram test with memtest86+. I had a bad stick a while back, and when trying to install windows it would tell me that a file on the disc was corrupted.

I'll do that later. Thanks for the info :)

Anyway, every time I "touch" a stick of ram, the system prevents one from working for a few hours, so I'm left with 1GB. It's weired, could be my body static? But the component would be dead right?

Well, I put some more thermal paste on the GPU and CPU yesterday and cleaned out the fans, and I accidentally touched a stick of RAM. The system was unplugged and I plugged it back in, the system wouldn't start. So, I remove on stick, and it's fine. If I use the other stick on it's own, it doesn't start. It swaps them over sometimes (I mean; one won't work if I touch it, whereas another time if I touch one, the other won't work and the other will work solo). It's strange, and I believe it's just a faulty processor. I plan on buying a new one within a few weeks. I'm thinking of going back to single core.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:06 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
Also, you openly admit that your graphics card overheats, but you then proceed to wonder why your system is unstable?

Heard of making sure it runs cool? Heat only leads to instability and permanent hardware damage. You have to deal with that sort of thing straight away.

First thing I'd do is look at Case fans and Case cooling.

Temperatures are stable now. I can over clock the graphics card and it won't overheat on me.

Top  Profile