BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 6h, 18m | CPU: 1% | MEM: 1793MB of 3033MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Big Haul of MSDN Goodies :)        Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25 pm 
FTP Access

I picked up a load of old MSDN discs from Freecycle this morning :D Got about 50 CDs and a few boxes. I love this kind of thing, and it's all really old stuff too, and if you're interested the CDs are as follows:

Some pictures:
Image - various, including cool BackOffice BETA and NT4W Checked Build
Image - NT 4 BETAs :D :D :D
Image - complete Office 2000 set
Image - some of the folders and boxes

-NT Workstation 4 Checked Build
-1997 Additional SDKs and Tools
-DirectX 6.1
-Site Builder Network Web Snapshot CD
-Win32T SDK for Win95 and NT4W
-Office 97, Developer Edition Tools
-Platform SDK July 1999 edition
-BackOffice 2.0 SDK
-Plus! 98 and Win98 Resource Kit
-16 bit operating systems and tools (seems to include Win3.1, Dos 6.22, loads of 3.1 things eg SDKs, "Video for Windows", Win3.1 and WfW 3.1 Resource Kits etc) - 2 of these, one from October 96, the other from July.
-July 1999 Glossaries, SDKs and Tools
-July 1999 MSDN CD index, SDKs and Tools
-Office 2000 Premium on 4 CDs, seemingly with Product Key integrated into the installer.
-Windows CE Platform Builder 2.11 Evaluation Edition
-Office 97 Professional, again with built-in serial.
-Project 98, Visual Modeller and Macro Assembler 6.11
-FrontPage 98 (English, German, Italian, French, Spanish)
-Visual C++ for Windows CE
-Additional SDKs and tools January 1997 (has things like loads of different IE versions, for PowerPC/MIPS etc NT and everything, and Chinese language bits for IE!).
-Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0
-Windows NT Server 4.0
-MSDN Subscriptions Library 2001 CDs 1 to 3

And some older stuff:
-Additional Windows NT (3.x) Service packs, Windows 3.11 versions (loads of languages)
-Windows 3.1 and WfW 3.11 (17 languages in each)
-Setup, SDKs, and DDKs October 1994
-Development Platform Setup 1 - January 96
-Windows 3.11, and additional SDKs and DDKs
-July 1994 Setup, SDKs and DDKs
-July 1994 Win32 SDK and Windows NT DDK
-Windows NT (3.x) Service Packs for international versions
-Windows 3.1, 3.11 and WfW 3.11 (several of these from different years
-Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0 Pre-Release Setup
-Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice Setup
-Windows 95 international releases
-Additional Windows 95 international releases
-Windows 95 East Asian releases
-January 1995 Setup, SDKs and DDKs
-Additional Windows NT Service Packs, Windows 3.11 versions, SDKs and DDKs
-Setup, SDKs and DDKs April 1995
-INTL: Windows 3.1, WfW 3.11, and MS-DOS
-INTL: Windows 95 international releases
-INTL: Additional Windows 95 international releases
-Windows NT Server 4.0 Pre-Release (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1209.1)
-Windows NT Server 4.0 Beta 2 (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1304.1)

:D :D :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 pm 
Donator

That's GREAT, I love these goodies as well, I also have some MSDN discs from '96, '97 and 2000. This weekend I'll hopefully visit a friend of mine who was a TechNet Premium member once, he promised he has some goodies for me, like betas and evaluations and that lovely stuff :)

If you don't mind, I'd be very interested in:

Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0
    Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0 Pre-Release Setup
    Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice Setup
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Pre-Release (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1209.1)
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Beta 2 (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1304.1)

If you shared these, I'd be :D :D :D

PS: I really have to find my equivalent of Freecycle because I can't stand the thought of this stuff being thrown away and therefore wasted. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
This weekend I'll hopefully visit a friend of mine who was a TechNet Premium member once, he promised he has some goodies for me, like betas and evaluations and that lovely stuff :)

Oooh, I wish I knew people like that :D It's a shame I don't know the people who run the computing departments and services here at uni as they must have tons of stuff like this that they don't need any more - there is a free stuff list that I've had good stuff like boxed copies of IBM DOS 5, MS-DOS 5 and MS-DOS 3 from (someone even offered a boxed Windows 2.x on there once but someone else managed to claim it first :( ) but they might be able to find loads of other stuff if I knew them and could ask them to look for it!

empireum wrote:
If you don't mind, I'd be very interested in:

Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0
    Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice 2.0 Pre-Release Setup
    Windows NT Server 3.51 and BackOffice Setup
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Pre-Release (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1209.1)
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Beta 2 (Winnt32.exe is build 4.0.1304.1)

If you shared these, I'd be :D :D :D

Would you be looking for just the i386 folders or the whole lot (including all the other architectures)? I'm not sure with the ones that have the BackOffice stuff as well as NT Server on them which bits are safe to delete though - maybe just the folders called PPC, MIPS etc and leave all the stuff on the root of the CD and in the other folders, as well as the i386 folder?

There used to be quite a lot of NT4 betas around, but they seem to have vanished from the FTPs that are still around - I couldn't find any, so I guess these 2 Server ones might be good to have on there. I haven’t tried installing them yet though, so I'm not sure if Product Keys are integrated or not - there don't seem to be any printed keys with these discs so if they're not integrated you might have to do a bit of work to find one.

Andy, if you're reading this is it OK to put some of this stuff on your FTP then? Just wanted to check in case I'm filling it up with a load of junk you don't want :)

empireum wrote:
PS: I really have to find my equivalent of Freecycle because I can't stand the thought of this stuff being thrown away and therefore wasted. :(

Is there a Freecycle group near you? Check at http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=Germany - if you're not in a large town or city though, the chances are there won't be many people nearby to offer you stuff.

I hate waste too - someone offered a boxed copy of NetWare 3 on Freecycle here last week and said he would have to bin it if there were no takers - he lives and works out of town somewhere so I asked him if he could bring it to the edge of town for me (I like boxed software and NetWare's a bit out of the ordinary for a collection) so I could walk to meet him, but he was a bit stubborn and offered me only either where he works or where he lives (about 10 or 15 miles away). I also suggested he brings it into town when he's next coming in anyway, but he's not coming until next month and doesn't want to keep it that long.

I know I can't really moan as it would be him doing me the favour, but the thing is I presume he has a car and it would take about 10 minutes for him to bring it to the edge of town, while the only option for me would be some bus that I have no clue where you catch it from and probably takes all day, or a train that goes from the station half an hour's walk away, takes 20 minutes each way, and costs £5. So basically it would take me half a day to get there and back, and I just can't do that, so it looks like another bit of computing history is going to end up in the bin :( He didn't seem to get any other takers, and I suggested he list it on eBay if he really won't bring it to town for me, as I really hate for this sort of thing to be thrown away, but he said he didn't want to eBay it (no reason given though).

I would suggest he post it to me, but I think with all the manuals and everything it would come to about £7.50, which is a bit too much for me :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 am 
Donator

Quote:
Oooh, I wish I knew people like that Very Happy It's a shame I don't know the people who run the computing departments and services here at uni as they must have tons of stuff like this that they don't need any more - there is a free stuff list that I've had good stuff like boxed copies of IBM DOS 5, MS-DOS 5 and MS-DOS 3 from (someone even offered a boxed Windows 2.x on there once but someone else managed to claim it first Sad ) but they might be able to find loads of other stuff if I knew them and could ask them to look for it!

Well, most of these people have become my friends by coincidence. For example, the guy I'm going to visit this weekend had once ordered a new TV in the shop where my father works and had it delivered to his home. My father delivered the TV and mentioned to me he'd seen some TechNet boxes there. I immediately asked my father to give out the telephone number of this guy, phoned him and asked him if he'd give me some of that stuff. That's how it started. :)

Quote:
Would you be looking for just the i386 folders or the whole lot (including all the other architectures)? I'm not sure with the ones that have the BackOffice stuff as well as NT Server on them which bits are safe to delete though - maybe just the folders called PPC, MIPS etc and leave all the stuff on the root of the CD and in the other folders, as well as the i386 folder?

Yeah, while the entire CDs would be great,. I think all the folders (RAR'd, of course) except the ALPHA, MIPS and PPC ones would be fine as well. I think the I386 folder contains the actual OS, and the other folders hold the BackOffice stuff. :) If you don't want to upload everything, the pre-2.0 BackOffice stuff (still bundled with NT 3.51) and the NT4 build 1209 release would be a great start. :)

Quote:
There used to be quite a lot of NT4 betas around, but they seem to have vanished from the FTPs that are still around - I couldn't find any, so I guess these 2 Server ones might be good to have on there. I haven’t tried installing them yet though, so I'm not sure if Product Keys are integrated or not - there don't seem to be any printed keys with these discs so if they're not integrated you might have to do a bit of work to find one.

There's a very early NT4 Workstation build (1130 IIRC, so I guess it's an alpha as NT 3.51 Final was build 1057, and when I installed it, it looked like NT 3.51 with the NewShell update) on the AbyssUnderground server , but I've not been able to find other ones. I don't think the betas need a key, at least the alpha didn't.

Quote:
Is there a Freecycle group near you? Check at http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=Germany - if you're not in a large town or city though, the chances are there won't be many people nearby to offer you stuff.

Yes, I checked, and as I live in a "not-so-small" town, there is a Freecycle group in the town. Last time I checked (today), no one was offering something of interest, but I'll keep on checking. I have to give you a big thanks for that hint! :D

Quote:
I hate waste too - someone offered a boxed copy of NetWare 3 on Freecycle here last week and said he would have to bin it if there were no takers - he lives and works out of town somewhere so I asked him if he could bring it to the edge of town for me (I like boxed software and NetWare's a bit out of the ordinary for a collection) so I could walk to meet him, but he was a bit stubborn and offered me only either where he works or where he lives (about 10 or 15 miles away). I also suggested he brings it into town when he's next coming in anyway, but he's not coming until next month and doesn't want to keep it that long.

I know I can't really moan as it would be him doing me the favour, but the thing is I presume he has a car and it would take about 10 minutes for him to bring it to the edge of town, while the only option for me would be some bus that I have no clue where you catch it from and probably takes all day, or a train that goes from the station half an hour's walk away, takes 20 minutes each way, and costs £5. So basically it would take me half a day to get there and back, and I just can't do that, so it looks like another bit of computing history is going to end up in the bin Sad He didn't seem to get any other takers, and I suggested he list it on eBay if he really won't bring it to town for me, as I really hate for this sort of thing to be thrown away, but he said he didn't want to eBay it (no reason given though).

I would suggest he post it to me, but I think with all the manuals and everything it would come to about £7.50, which is a bit too much for me Sad

Yeah, it's a real pity that some people are so stubborn like that one. If it doesn't work the way they want it to work, there's no way to get a deal with them. By the way, I once had a full copy of NetWare 3.11, with all the disks and manuals and stuff, but I sold it on eBay because (1) I didn't really have a use for it, and I usually collect that stuff to use it, i.e. I really install these betas and old OSes on a real or virtual machine and play around with them , and (2) the boxes were taking up a considerable amount of space I wasn't able to spare at that moment. So it had to go.... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:49 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Well, most of these people have become my friends by coincidence. For example, the guy I'm going to visit this weekend had once ordered a new TV in the shop where my father works and had it delivered to his home. My father delivered the TV and mentioned to me he'd seen some TechNet boxes there. I immediately asked my father to give out the telephone number of this guy, phoned him and asked him if he'd give me some of that stuff. That's how it started. :)

Nice one! :) I don't think I'd have the courage to ask someone for their CDs like that though!

empireum wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I checked, and as I live in a "not-so-small" town, there is a Freecycle group in the town. Last time I checked (today), no one was offering something of interest, but I'll keep on checking. I have to give you a big thanks for that hint! :D

You can always put a "Wanted:..." message on, if you think there's a chance someone might have what you're after. I think the rule is generally no more than around 1 wanted message per month.

empireum wrote:
I usually collect that stuff to use it, i.e. I really install these betas and old OSes on a real or virtual machine and play around with them

I kind of wish I had a big old PC, as it would be quite fun to set up thecopy of NT 3.51 Server that comes with all the BackOffice stuff on it and maybe try and make a little NT3 network and everything. If you had a few old PCs you could have lots of fun with the old NT and BackOffice versions :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:16 am 
Donator

Quote:
I don't think I'd have the courage to ask someone for their CDs like that though!

Well, I was feeling a little bit strange about doing something like that as well, but (1) by that time, I was only 16 and hoped that my interest in that stuff would help me to convince him, which it did; (2) my father told me he was a nice guy and so I thought there was a realistic chance (and there was); (3) I asked in a very polite way, that "I'd heard you were/are a TechNet subscription receiver, and I'm a big collector of beta OSes and if it might be possible that some of the CDs were not useful to him anymore" and so on. He even told me he sold these maps on eBay from time to time and he was very happy (and so was I) that I took some of the old maps (from 2000 or 2001) with me! And, well, I'm very curious what he has to offer this time.

Quote:
You can always put a "Wanted:..." message on, if you think there's a chance someone might have what you're after. I think the rule is generally no more than around 1 wanted message per month.

Thanks, will do this maybe. Now, there are two auctions of that stuff going on at the german eBay, I hope I'll win them. Wish me luck... :)

Quote:
I kind of wish I had a big old PC, as it would be quite fun to set up thecopy of NT 3.51 Server that comes with all the BackOffice stuff on it and maybe try and make a little NT3 network and everything. If you had a few old PCs you could have lots of fun with the old NT and BackOffice versions Very Happy

That's exactly the reason why I'm waiting for the delivery of the IBM ThinkPad 600 I snagged on eBay. I want to put Win3.1, NT 3.51 and OS/2 on it (and maybe some other old OSes, too) and play around with them. I plan to set up NT 3.51 and IIS 1.0 to run a web-server just for the heck of it :) Ah, I love that passion of collecting old stuff. My friends and parents think I'm crazy, but I don't care about that. I can decide what I do. I hope my future appartment will be big enough to hold all that stuff I can hopefully get my hands on :)

By the way, think about it in the future: In 10 or 15 years maybe, when MS has just released "Windows Aurelia" (:wink:) or whatever the newest OS is called then, we'll probably go crazy about WinXP, Server 2003 or Vista :)). I imagine firing a PC up in 2016 or 2021 and having it display a "Windows Server 2003" boot screen before booting into that same OS would be awesome. Heck, I get these feelings when I boot up Windows 95 today...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:10 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, will do this maybe. Now, there are two auctions of that stuff going on at the german eBay, I hope I'll win them. Wish me luck... :)

Good luck :) I found what you're referring to - some of the discs look quite similar to these ones. Someone's got a Visio 10 beta pack on eBay UK but it's expensive so I won't be getting it :( I did get Mac OS X Public Beta off there once for £3 including postage though, which I was happy with (and it came with an OS X 10.0 pack as well!).

Quote:
I kind of wish I had a big old PC, as it would be quite fun to set up thecopy of NT 3.51 Server that comes with all the BackOffice stuff on it and maybe try and make a little NT3 network and everything. If you had a few old PCs you could have lots of fun with the old NT and BackOffice versions Very Happy

That's exactly the reason why I'm waiting for the delivery of the IBM ThinkPad 600 I snagged on eBay. I want to put Win3.1, NT 3.51 and OS/2 on it (and maybe some other old OSes, too) and play around with them. I plan to set up NT 3.51 and IIS 1.0 to run a web-server just for the heck of it :) Ah, I love that passion of collecting old stuff. My friends and parents think I'm crazy, but I don't care about that. I can decide what I do. I hope my future appartment will be big enough to hold all that stuff I can hopefully get my hands on :)[/quote]

:D I don't think you're crazy! :) The ThinkPad 600 is quite a high-end machine for NT3 isn't it? They can easily run XP - for the authentic NT3 experience you really need a big old P75 box! ;)

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a way to install Windows on my ThinkPad 570 over a network, would you? Just it doesn't have the docking bay with the CD-Rom drive, and if I could get an OS on it I could play around with it by logging into it over a network (because the screen's dead!).

Oh, and I'm sending the files you asked for the Andy's second FTP. Andy, if you don't want the stuff left on there as the FTP's getting full feel free to delete it. I've taken out the PPC, MIPS, and ALPHA folders, but left everything else, so hopfully it will all work like that. No CD keys - I think you don't need one for NT 3 (it has a box for one but it's optional - just click Next and it'll work). Not sure about the NT 4 Server betas. I did find a couple of CD keys in the pack but they seem to both be for the 98 Plus Pack (and there's a key for OEM Windows 95 B, but no disc for that as far as I can see, only all the international versions of 95).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:34 am 
Donator

Quote:
Good luck Smile I found what you're referring to - some of the discs look quite similar to these ones. Someone's got a Visio 10 beta pack on eBay UK but it's expensive so I won't be getting it Sad I did get Mac OS X Public Beta off there once for £3 including postage though, which I was happy with (and it came with an OS X 10.0 pack as well!).

Good find! I hope to win these auctions, one of them ends tomorrow. Sometimes you can get them really cheap, sometimes they can get quite expensive. That applies to the same stuff; seems to depend on the number of other collectors around by that time. I hope I'll be lucky.

Quote:
Very Happy I don't think you're crazy! Smile The ThinkPad 600 is quite a high-end machine for NT3 isn't it? They can easily run XP - for the authentic NT3 experience you really need a big old P75 box! Wink

That's why I like to hang around here. :) Almost all the people here are collectors and thus thinking the same way as I am. Either, we're all crazy, or none of us is. :)
Yes, the TP600 is quite fast and "oversized" for NT 3.51 as it has a P-II-266, 128MB of RAM (which I will look to upgrade to the maximum of 288 or even 544MB) and it'll get a nice new 40GB 5400rpm HD as well as soon as I get it. I won't run XP on it, though. The newest MS OS this thing is gonna run is NT5/2000 and maybe WinFLP.
I once ran NT 3.51 on a P60 with 24MB of RAM, an 1.2GB HD, floppy, 24X CD-ROM drive, some S3 video card and a crappy ISA sound card. It was dual-booting with Win95. Would you call that an authentic experience? :wink:

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to know if there's a way to install Windows on my ThinkPad 570 over a network, would you? Just it doesn't have the docking bay with the CD-Rom drive, and if I could get an OS on it I could play around with it by logging into it over a network (because the screen's dead!).

Does it have a floppy drive? If yes, then you could probably create an MS-DOS boot floppy that has network access, connect to another PC holding the Windows installation files and then install from there. This would involve doing some blind typing work on the ThinkPad, though.
Another option: Which OS are you wanting to install? My idea: Take out the HD from the 570, install it in another laptop and at least prepare the OS install there (i.e. copy all necessary files and drivers over) , maybe even install the OS with the HD installed in another machine. Also prepare it to accept remote logons (install VNC or whatever you use). Then, put it back into the 570 and see what it does.

Quote:
Oh, and I'm sending the files you asked for the Andy's second FTP. Andy, if you don't want the stuff left on there as the FTP's getting full feel free to delete it. I've taken out the PPC, MIPS, and ALPHA folders, but left everything else, so hopfully it will all work like that. No CD keys - I think you don't need one for NT 3 (it has a box for one but it's optional - just click Next and it'll work). Not sure about the NT 4 Server betas. I did find a couple of CD keys in the pack but they seem to both be for the 98 Plus Pack (and there's a key for OEM Windows 95 B, but no disc for that as far as I can see, only all the international versions of 95).

Great, thanks. The BackOffice CDs should be fine that way, but I'll test it, be assured :) NT 3.x doesn't need a CD key and, IIRC, the MSDN versions of NT 4.0 don't need one, either. You're asked to enter one, if you enter some invalid junk, it'll complain but there is a button to install anyway, even without the key. At least it was that way when installing a Japanese Checked build of NT4.
The international versions of 95/98 are some great fun, I was once multibooting Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English Win95 and Arabic Win98 on a single HD. Not to mention the English, Arabic and Japanese NT4 installs that were on the second HD. Arabic versions of Windows are really funny, by the way, because everything looks to be mirrored :)
I'd love to get my hands on Pan-Chinese NT4: the UI is in English, but you're able to use Chinese characters. just as on Chinese NT4.

For a good laugh: My Arabic Win98 install. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:21 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:

Does it have a floppy drive? If yes, then you could probably create an MS-DOS boot floppy that has network access, connect to another PC holding the Windows installation files and then install from there. This would involve doing some blind typing work on the ThinkPad, though.
Another option: Which OS are you wanting to install? My idea: Take out the HD from the 570, install it in another laptop and at least prepare the OS install there (i.e. copy all necessary files and drivers over) , maybe even install the OS with the HD installed in another machine. Also prepare it to accept remote logons (install VNC or whatever you use). Then, put it back into the 570 and see what it does.

There's no floppy drive either - it's one of these ultraportable laptops with all the drives in the separate docking unit, which I don't have. Your idea about using another laptop to install something seems good though - now I think of it isn't there a tool called SysPrep that removes all the hardware information from an existing installation and then lets you set it up again on another machine? Although it might need a CD drive to install the new drivers? It would be just about possible to do some setting up on the 570 itself as shining light on the screen you can just about see it (only the backlight doesn't work, not the entire screen).

Trouble is, I've only got a 1.4 GB laptop drive spare, so I wouldn't be able to use the ThinkPad to its full potential (ie put 2000 or XP on there and there's not going to be a lot of room for anything else - maybe FLP would be good though) - I swapped the 4 GB drive out of the ThinkPad into the other laptop (the one I put 2k on).

empireum wrote:
Either, we're all crazy, or none of us is. :)

Hmmmm... ;)

empireum wrote:
Yes, the TP600 is quite fast and "oversized" for NT 3.51 as it has a P-II-266, 128MB of RAM (which I will look to upgrade to the maximum of 288 or even 544MB) and it'll get a nice new 40GB 5400rpm HD as well as soon as I get it.

Wow, that's a really nice spec!

empireum wrote:
I once ran NT 3.51 on a P60 with 24MB of RAM, an 1.2GB HD, floppy, 24X CD-ROM drive, some S3 video card and a crappy ISA sound card. It was dual-booting with Win95. Would you call that an authentic experience? :wink:

Definitely :D Though 16 or even 8 MB of Ram would have been even better, and preferably a sub-500 MB hard drive ;) And what, you had a CD drive?! Heck, 5.25” floppy drives all the way! CDs are way too modern...

empireum wrote:
For a good laugh: My Arabic Win98 install. :D

Wow, that's amazing! I knew some languages the text is written backwards, but I never knew they mirrored everything, even the Windows logos! It looks like some of the icons are reversed though, while others (like the folder, and IE) are not. These discs of mine seem to have Arabic versions of MS-DOS, Windows 3.1/3.11/Workgroups, and Windows 95, so they might be worth a try sometime :) There seems to be Windows 3.2 as well - this was Chinese wasn't it? It's a bit weird though as it's in a folder called "Win3.2PR" (what's "PR", I wonder?), and there's 2 copies, one in a folder called "12" and another in "144" ("12" contains not only the numbered disks but also disks A to E, while "144" has just A and B plus the numbered 9). The Setup apps also have version 3.10.0.153, not 3.2, in their properties.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:51 am 
Donator

Quote:
There's no floppy drive either - it's one of these ultraportable laptops with all the drives in the separate docking unit, which I don't have. Your idea about using another laptop to install something seems good though - now I think of it isn't there a tool called SysPrep that removes all the hardware information from an existing installation and then lets you set it up again on another machine? Although it might need a CD drive to install the new drivers? It would be just about possible to do some setting up on the 570 itself as shining light on the screen you can just about see it (only the backlight doesn't work, not the entire screen).

Hmm, okay, things are getting more complicated. :wink: Your option would be setting up a network boot via PXE if the machine supports it, but that's not trivial to set up, I remember trying it and failing most of the time (in fact, I only got it to work once). I'd prefer the removing HD method. Sysprep would be a good thing to use, although it might not be necessary. You should make sure that you've copied all the drivers you might need for the 570 to the HD before putting it back in the 570. That way, you don't rely on any external drives, and can just point Windows to the directory on the HD.

Quote:
Trouble is, I've only got a 1.4 GB laptop drive spare, so I wouldn't be able to use the ThinkPad to its full potential (ie put 2000 or XP on there and there's not going to be a lot of room for anything else - maybe FLP would be good though) - I swapped the 4 GB drive out of the ThinkPad into the other laptop (the one I put 2k on).

I bet it wouldn't be too bad with a "lite" Windows 2000 install. If you want, you can always use 98 or ME instead, which are more tolerant to crucial hardware changes.

Quote:
Yes, the TP600 is quite fast and "oversized" for NT 3.51 as it has a P-II-266, 128MB of RAM (which I will look to upgrade to the maximum of 288 or even 544MB) and it'll get a nice new 40GB 5400rpm HD as well as soon as I get it.

Wow, that's a really nice spec!

Yes, I think Win3.11 and NT3.51 will be happy on it. Only downside is the battery is dead, apparently, that's not much of a problem, though. And the seller seems to have a long delivery time, 2 to 3 weeks on average... I'll just have to wait a little bit longer. I just don't like that because if I buy something on eBay, I pay as soon as possible and would like to have the bought item delivered soon as well. That just doesn't always work. Well, the only thing that matters is that it will hopefully arrive someday.

Quote:
Definitely Very Happy Though 16 or even 8 MB of Ram would have been even better, and preferably a sub-500 MB hard drive Wink And what, you had a CD drive?! Heck, 5.25” floppy drives all the way! CDs are way too modern...

NT 3.x won't run with less than 12MB of RAM, IIRC. – No, that's not correct, it won't install with less than 12MB of RAM, but will run fine with only 8MB. And there was a 5.25" floppy drive in the machine as well. As for the hard drive – a <500MB one would have been pretty hard to get along with because I also had OS/2 and some apps on it.

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing! I knew some languages the text is written backwards, but I never knew they mirrored everything, even the Windows logos! It looks like some of the icons are reversed though, while others (like the folder, and IE) are not. These discs of mine seem to have Arabic versions of MS-DOS, Windows 3.1/3.11/Workgroups, and Windows 95, so they might be worth a try sometime

Yes, some of the icons are reversed as well. As for Arabic versions, keep in mind that MS had two editions of Win95/98 and NT4 that were "Arabic": A true "Arabic" version which was localized, that's the version I showed to you, and an "Arabic enabled" version which had an English UI, but was able to deal with the Arabic characters. The same applies to Hebrew and Thai versions. Be sure to choose the right one! :D The Hebrew versions have everything mirrored as well.

Quote:
There seems to be Windows 3.2 as well - this was Chinese wasn't it? It's a bit weird though as it's in a folder called "Win3.2PR" (what's "PR", I wonder?), and there's 2 copies, one in a folder called "12" and another in "144" ("12" contains not only the numbered disks but also disks A to E, while "144" has just A and B plus the numbered 9). The Setup apps also have version 3.10.0.153, not 3.2, in their properties.

I have one of these CDs as well, Windows 3.2, which was indeed in Simplified Chinese, is there. "PR" probably stands for "Preview (Release)" or something like that. The "12" and "144" folders correspond to the format of the floppies. The one version is to be installed from 5.25" floppies that hold up to 1.2MB, the other one is to be installed from 3.5" floppies with 1.44MB capacity. So, if you want to try it, use the files from the "144" folder and you're good to go. :)

By the way, I have a Multilanguage version of Windows XP Pro, and I can also select an Arabic or Hebrew interface, If I do that, everything, I mean everything, gets mirrored as well. :) It's just great! But for serious working, I usr it in English.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:24 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
As for Arabic versions, keep in mind that MS had two editions of Win95/98 and NT4 that were "Arabic": A true "Arabic" version which was localized, that's the version I showed to you, and an "Arabic enabled" version which had an English UI, but was able to deal with the Arabic characters. The same applies to Hebrew and Thai versions. Be sure to choose the right one! :D The Hebrew versions have everything mirrored as well.

Is there any way to tell which type yours is without actually installing it first?

empireum wrote:
By the way, I have a Multilanguage version of Windows XP Pro, and I can also select an Arabic or Hebrew interface, If I do that, everything, I mean everything, gets mirrored as well. :) It's just great! But for serious working, I usr it in English.

Woah, that's awesome! Do you normally use English rather than German, then?

For the laptop, would it work to copy the Windows install files to the HD in another laptop, and also install DOS on it, or is there no way DOS installed on one machine would work in another? If it did, then you could probably install like that, assuming there was enough hard disk space left over!

I've actually been thinking about selling it, as it's not of great use the way it is and it annoys me because I wish it worked properly (ie as a laptop!). 570s with broken screens seem to sometimes go for £20 or even more, and I got it for nothing, so it would be a handy profit :)

By the way, all those files you asked for are now on FTP 2, in the uploads section in a folder called "all finished" :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:42 am 
Donator

Quote:
Is there any way to tell which type yours is without actually installing it first?

If both versions are on the disc, there'll be two separate folders for each of them, one will probably be named "enabled" or something like that. If there's just one version, look for a readme.txt file. If it's in English, it's probably an "enabled" version, if it's localized, i.e. in Arabic in this case, the version is most likely fully localized. For example, here's the important part in the readme.txt of my "Arabic-enabled Windows 95":

Quote:
This is an enabled version, meaning that while you can type,
display, and print mixed English and Arabic text, the user
interface (menus, dialogs, and online help) remain in English.
We will be supplying two versions of Arabic Windows 95, one
enabled (this version) and one localized. The localized version
provides an Arabic user interface.

And on my "Windows 98 (International versions)" DVD from a year 2000 MSDN subscription, there's a folder "ARABIC" and in it, there are two folders, one is called "ENA", meaning "Arabic ENAbled" (English UI) and the other one is called "LOC", meaning "LOCalized" (completely Arabic UI). Easy to distinguish, isn't it? :)

Quote:
Woah, that's awesome! Do you normally use English rather than German, then?

Yes. :)

Quote:
For the laptop, would it work to copy the Windows install files to the HD in another laptop, and also install DOS on it, or is there no way DOS installed on one machine would work in another? If it did, then you could probably install like that, assuming there was enough hard disk space left over!

Yes, that's absolutely possible. DOS is probably the MS OS that cares the least about hardware changes :) Only prolems that could arise would be BIOS-related, then. But they don't have to arise. :)

Quote:
I've actually been thinking about selling it, as it's not of great use the way it is and it annoys me because I wish it worked properly (ie as a laptop!). 570s with broken screens seem to sometimes go for £20 or even more, and I got it for nothing, so it would be a handy profit Smile

Agreed.

Quote:
By the way, all those files you asked for are now on FTP 2, in the uploads section in a folder called "all finished" Smile

Great, can't wait till Andy moves them to the download section so I can get them :D :D :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:46 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Files moved.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49 am 
Donator

Thanks, but ATM, it just gives me "Too many users logged in for this account". I wonder why :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
empireum wrote:
Thanks, but ATM, it just gives me "Too many users logged in for this account". I wonder why :wink:

Can't quite understand that one *sarcasm* :lol: :lol: :lol:

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:26 am 
Donator

@Andy
Yeah, me neither, I'm completely puzzled :wink:

@Vista Ultimate R2
Some more for you... :D (Note the images have been scaled down from their 1280x800 native res to 800x500, but I think you can see what you should see :)) And I see that LClock somehow gets confused. Look at the clock in the lower right...err...left corner of the taskbar! It's mirrored!.

Windows XP with Arabic UI

Windows XP with Hebrew UI

I don't know why it won't localize all of the things and items, really don't know. If I apply a German, French or Japanese language pack, it uses to work fine. But it should be enough to give you an impression of what it looks like. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
And on my "Windows 98 (International versions)" DVD from a year 2000 MSDN subscription, there's a folder "ARABIC" and in it, there are two folders, one is called "ENA", meaning "Arabic ENAbled" (English UI) and the other one is called "LOC", meaning "LOCalized" (completely Arabic UI). Easy to distinguish, isn't it? :)

On MSDN CDs it has always been that way. Retail CDs, on the other hand, have only been like that in Windows 98. Every other version (NT4, 98, 2000) could be bought in either the localized or enabled version.
About the mirror thing, it only started with Windows 98. Windows 95 was only translated (I never used a localized NT4, so I'm not sure whether it was mirrored or not). The mirror thing was one of the reasons I haven't installed a localized Windows since 98.

BTW, if you're interested, I have Hebrew (localized and enabled) versions of just about any Windows version ever translated (I even have a Hebrew System 7.5.3).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:54 am 
Donator

I have an Arabic MSDN version of NT4.0, but I don't remember if it's enabled or localized or if I have both...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:12 am 
FTP Access

ppc_digger wrote:
I even have a Hebrew System 7.5.3

Wow - is that mirrored too? Where did you get it from?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:16 pm 
Donator

:shock:

*joins local freecycle*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:38 pm 
Donator

Yeah, I agree it's a great idea. Now let's hope there's something interesting :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:01 pm 
Donator

doesn't seem like there have been any cds that might be of interest offered. but i might put a request in sometime

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm 
Donator

I've already done that, but no response so far....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:10 pm 
Donator

oh well, other free stuff is good

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

If you're into vintage computers there's always good stuff offered too (or at least on the group I've been using there is) - I've had a Mac Plus with all the original disks/instructions/carrying bag etc, an Acorn RiscPC 700, Mac IIci, Mac LC, Mac LC II, 386 laptop, IBM PS/2. I've also had boxed/almost pristine (manuals still shrinkwrapped) Mac OS 7.0, FileMaker Pro 2.0 for Mac boxed, Office 97 Pro/Windows 98 OEM/98 Plus Pack (but no big boxes for those, just CD cases with CD, paper covers and product key). There were a couple of Amigas offered yesterday but I didn't ask for them as I've got too much stuff already!

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next