BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 11h, 29m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 2214MB of 3503MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Portable Power Supply/charger        Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
So about a month ago I was reading Andys Repowered.co.uk site and found a neat concept,
specifically the Portable Ideas page.
Now while Andys design is rather large (20-30 kg in the original spec) I wanted something slightly more portable.
My goal weight was around 5-6 kg, so I could carry it if needed.
The obvious choice in batteries were sealed lead acid batteries, with two of those I would be able to get 14 Ah 12V.
The above is a pitcture of the parts I used, from left to right:
Various cables, 3x SLAs, on top of those are switches, a USB hub, 5 and 8V regulators, 2x PCBs for use with regulators and various small parts, to the far right is the Canon OEM camera bag I used, it perfectly fit two SLAa with some room on the side for heatsinks and wires.

The basic design was a box with 2x 12V outputs and 4x powered USB outputs, which could be used to power various devices.
A look at the finished project, note the blue leds to aid in operation in the dark. The USB hub is mounted with the power of velcro.
For those interested in the internal wiring you can get a basic idea here:
I obviously plugged all the switched in and added fuses for the final design, I also hadn't finished the regulators at that point.
Here's another pictures from earlier today, here it is charging my cell and iPod, the black wire going down the picture goes to the camera, if you note one of the PCBs in the second pictures it fits inside the battery slot of a 350D, so I can run 12V into the camera (thus putting less load on the wire!) and it transforms it into 8V.

Specs:
2x 7.2 Ah 12V SLAs in parallel, fused for 6.3A
2x 12V outputs, 2A each
4x USB outputs, 500mA each (2A regulator)
1x USB input (to the hub)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Although I knew you were designing and making this I never actually got to see it much, now I've seen it, it looks awesome :P Well done. Lets hope it does its job well.

I'm glad you got inspiration from my site, at least its done something good!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
I would have shown you more pics but there really wasn't much to see until today when everything came together, I'll have a chance to test it this weekend, theoretically it should be able to power my camera for about 10000 pictures, or charge my cell at least 10 times.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]