BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 6h, 57m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5706MB of 10954MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Is this possible        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:29 am 
Donator

I was wondering if this were possible, put OSX on a PS3, as we see how the OSX uses the power pc architecture is it possible to put OSX on a PS3 ?

me and a co-worker were discussing it as one can put a PowerPC version of Ubuntu or YellowDog on the PS3

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:44 am 
Donator

You cant excute it major editing the source code.
The PS3 could be slow and is not the best for the PS3.

If you can get OSX to boot, it may work. (low chance)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:20 am 
Donator

ahh I didn't know, but apparently the old versions of Mac like versions 8 and 9 were based on Power PC but they would have a better chance of running, hehe

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:26 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think Mac OS Classic would run as they rely on the Mac OS ROM which X doesn't, which is why you can't run them in PearPC or on other non-Mac PowerPC machines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:48 pm 
Donator

I suppose you could run the classic Mac OS versions if you run Linux on the PS3 and an emulator/simulator such as SheepShaver/Basilisk/MacOnLinux on top of it, but I've not heard of OS X running natively on a PS3. First of all, you'd be missing a chunk of drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Use the Intel version, and install it in VirtualBox/QEMU on a basic Linux setup.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:26 pm 
Donator

I doubt that'll work considering the PS3's low amount of RAM. Furthermore, you'd then (using Qemu, VirtualBox is not usable for that) have to emulate an Intel on a PPC-esque machine – slow as hell.

I'd just forget about it. Even if you could get it to work, it'd be slow as hell (not enough RAM, slow HD access, slow VESA graphics).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 pm 
Donator

I see, like my iMac G3 is a bit slow but I am more than guaranteed a computer tech job in June so I will be upgrading the RAM get two 256 SO-DIMMs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:45 pm 
Administrator

First of all, the PS3 doesn't have half the hardware needed to run OSX. Because the PS3 has a PowerPC processor doesn't mean it can even remotely run OSX, there are many variants of the PowerPC CPU, and the one in PS3 is specifically built to co-operate with the six SPE:s the PS3 uses. The PowerPC element in the PS3 isn't compatible at all with the "regular" (PowerPC 970 series, a.k.a. "G5") PowerPC CPU.

So discarding the CPU you also need audio hardware, the one in PS3 is proprietary and also built for PS3, it's not one of those generic Intel/Sigma Designs/Realtek ones you are used to see on modern PC:s, Macs and older ones.

Video hardware.... the GPU in the PS3 isn't some generic PCI-Express/AGP Nvidia GPU, it's a specifically designed GPU made to work with the limited XDR memory the PS3 has (this limiting RAM is also what's killing the PS3 in high resolutions unfortunately...)

The Mac (older ones) also need some kind of boot ROM info (like a BIOS on a PC). This one doesn't exist in the PS3. The newer Mac:s uses EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface), the PS3 doesn't have this either.

The reason some Linux distros can boot on the PS3 is because they are specifically compiled for the Cell architecture (PowerPC + SPE:s), and even so, you don't get access to all the hardware in the PS3 (bad move Sony!), and MacOS depends on hardware acceleration.

An operating system depends on so much more than just the processor. Mac:s are VERY specific on which hardware it uses, so it wouldn't even know how to interpret the PS3 hardware _if_ it even booted. It's like you would put in an G5 distro of Linux into a PS3, that wouldn't work either. Apple would also never make a PS3 version for the same reason they wouldn't make one for XBox360 or PC.... they want to keep to their market corner with the Macintosh.

So no, PS3 will never run OSX unless it's in some virtualisation layer under Linux, like VMWare or something (if you ever made that to run on PS3, which I doubt considering the limited memory), and even then you would need a heavily hacked version of OSX since no VM atm supports OSX natively. (Not sure about VMWare Fusion tho, since it runs only on a Mac... ideas?).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:34 am 
FTP Access

I don't think you could run OSX on the PS3 unless you had lots of time and access to the source code, and even then you might not be able to do anything with it. Just like I can't install Windows XP on my xbox even though it uses a Celeron processor.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:52 am 
Donator

the ps3 is simpily not good enough, the hardware (censored)!
okay, end of story

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:54 am 
FTP Access

if you wanna run mac os, mac on linux is your best bet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am 
Donator

Don't bother, it's not worth even trying unless you just want to see if it works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:18 am 
Permanently Banned

Please tell me where you get such crazy ideas....

Either way, I don't know what type of firmware the PS3 has nor do I really care. However, I hgihly doubt it's Open Firmware, let alone a Mac (Compatable) OpenFirmware.

Either way, on the reverse end, cell processors have been known to work in PowerMacs, however very buggy, but they work. Look at the mercury cell upgrade boards at http://mc.com. They require a kext to work but else they work just like a regular mac, but faster and crashes rather often.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:24 am 
FTP Access

OK I'll add my 2¢ since I've been playing around a bit.

The PS3 is capable of running OS X in theory.

You wouldn't have any sound/networking or video drivers most likely.

The only thing stopping it from booting is a proper stage 2 bootloader, as the PS3 runs foreign OSes with a hypervisor. With some testing, you can get the PS3 to load and get stuck on a copy of OS X by having it boot BootX (gotta copy BootX to a usb key, call it otheros.bld, tgz it). Then you install BootX on the PS3 using the built in functions on the PS3.

When you reboot into BootX, you will get a black screen and only slight DVD activity, and it will get no further. With any other file the PS3 reboots immediately and beeps three times. With BootX it doesn't do that so I assume it's attempted to load it, but BootX has halted when it hasn't found a Mac.

I'm pretty sure all we need is a boot loader that tells mach_kernel to boot, but I haven't had the time to investigate it further. OS X does run on a Cell processor fine (as seen from early IBM demos), but it would just run on the single core and ignore the SPEs.

Top  Profile