BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 8h, 25m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 6229MB of 11183MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Intel motherboard Ambulance Sound        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 am 
FTP Access

I have this vpr Matrix computer which i'm trying to repair and now that i've got all the parts in and connected the power supply but i get this ambulance siren sound it beeps twice and then the computer totally shuts down I only have the hdd that came with the comp(which has nothing to my knowledge) and a hdd i use for testing with ME. When i boot it up once and a while i get the intel motherboard screen that says something about changing the CPU recently and the it quickly switches to checking ide.
I have really no idea what to do and i'd really like tonot have to get a new motherboard

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
sounds like the MoBo might be overheating, in my expeirence mobos make noises when there overheating.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I agree with the above. Check the heatsink has transfer compound between it and the cpu. If it doesn't then its going to overheat very quickly.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
Administrator

Mobos don't beep when they are "overheated". I don't know what mobo it is, but it may be that the CPU speed is configured improperly. Make sure the CMOS battery is ok, and that the memory you got in the machine is ok. The mobo usually beeps because of faulty memory, faulty videocard, CMOS error or badly configured CPU (or an incompatible one, check for BIOS updates).

But IF you get the system running see if you can see any temperature monitoring info in BIOS. Perhaps any of the temp sensors are malfunctioning, causing the system to turn itself off. In that case you should be able to change the threshold value or disable the sensors.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:14 pm 
FTP Access

Indeed motherboards don't *usually* beep when they are overheated. They can beep when the *processor* is overheated, though.

Make sure you have thermal grease and that everything is seated securely. Also, download the manual and look up the beep codes (those beeps tell you something).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 pm 
Donator

I don't know how much this will help, but I have a very specific motherboard that does this with a very specific brand IDE RAID controller. I'm not sure why it does it, but the noise is maddening.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:39 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RentedMule wrote:
I don't know how much this will help, but I have a very specific motherboard that does this with a very specific brand IDE RAID controller. I'm not sure why it does it, but the noise is maddening.

Thats probably telling you there is a problem with one of the drives in the RAID array. Its an alarm to notify you of the problem early enough to possibly solve it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 pm 
FTP Access

I actually think that the answer is that there is no thermal compound so ill try that I checked and there is none so thats my best bet. I'm not sure the power supply is original though it says dynex which if im correct is a generic brand so that could also be a possibility
im going out and there is a store which has the compound so if they've got it in stock maybe i can solve the problem

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Rixel wrote:
I actually think that the answer is that there is no thermal compound so ill try that I checked and there is none so thats my best bet. I'm not sure the power supply is original though it says dynex which if im correct is a generic brand so that could also be a possibility
im going out and there is a store which has the compound so if they've got it in stock maybe i can solve the problem
Dynex is the store brand of BestBuy, so its not an original component. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:51 am 
FTP Access

Yeah but i'm not exactly sure vpr Matrixes are supposed to be their store line of computers though ive never seen them there so it could be original

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:00 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Thats probably telling you there is a problem with one of the drives in the RAID array. Its an alarm to notify you of the problem early enough to possibly solve it.

Actually, it does this even if there are no drives attached. And it isn't a specific card, but rather, a specific brand of card, because plugging in any one of the five laying around produces the same issue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5
mrpijey wrote:
Mobos don't beep when they are "overheated".

Mine does, for Case temp or CPU temp going outside tolerances. And it was indeed an ambulance-like 'nee-naw' kinda sound. I forget whether it was an Abit or Asus. Just to let you know for future reference.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 pm 
FTP Access

The transfer compound came today and i got the whole thing put together it no longer beeps and i get all the way to it asking for media which i have somewhere and now need to find but atleast it works

Top  Profile