Sanyo 16LT

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Chicago
FTP Access

Sanyo 16LT

Post by Chicago »

Hey all!
I've got a Sanyo 16LT, which seems to be great!
2*720 FDD
no HDD
Parallel, Serial, RGB port
LCD Display
8088 8 Mhz CPU
640 KB RAM
Yet, I've got a problem with it, first of all, It says:
"ROM BIOS v.1.06"
which is good
Then, it says:
"640 KB RAM, 8 MHZ CPU"
and theen I hear a beep from the PC Speaker.
After that, it "reads" the floppy, and says "Boot Error"
At first I thought the Floppy was damaged, yet amazingly, the original floppy is still readable, but nothing will make it change that
I've opened the machine, and swapped the FDD (to check if the cause was the FDD
But nothing
What can It be?
Thanks

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Unfortunately this may be a problem with the FDC (Floppy Disk Controller). If you're lucky, the system will have the FDC installed seperately in a slot on the motherboard. In that case you will only have to replace the FDC Card. If it's built into the motherboard circutry, then the only safe way to fix this problem would be to replace the whole motherboard. The best ways to find a new motherboard would be to either look on eBay or ask around at websites dedicated to preserving old computers.

Chicago
FTP Access

Post by Chicago »

I'd replace the FDC manually on the MB, so, how can I find it?
Thanks!
edit:

When attempting to boot, the computer will try to read the FD if not in, if I place it in, immediatly says Boot Error, and then stops it's attempts.
Hope to solve it!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Some of those old machines also have a BIOS, but has to be invoked manually by a special key combo or shortcutting pins on the serial bus (!). I got one of those old battletanks myself, and I had to enter into the BIOS what kind of floppy drives I had. And not every drive worked in it either, only old 5.25" or at least a 720kb 3.5" (also known as a "DD"-drive). It's hard to say with those old machines...
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter