Vista thumbnails

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Xammer
FTP Access

Vista thumbnails

Post by Xammer »

I watch AVI movies with SUB/SRT subtitles on my Vista Home Premium laptop (with WMP and VobSub 2.23). However, Explorer creates thumbnails (for large/medium icon views) only for the video files with no subtitles attached to them. For example, when I move the SRT file to another folder and refresh the folder with the videos, their default AVI icons change into thumbnails. Also, when I installed DirectVobSub 2.38 (the latest version), WMP11 didn't even play the videos.

How can I fix this issue?

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I know that the .avi problem can be solved by using the VLC media player or if you want to use media player (i use this to) install a version of nero 7 or 8 this has the .avi drivers in them (the divx installer doenst work on vista).

And the thumbnails, vista uses 1 frame of the movie, mostly the one without subtitles (but do you need them with a still image?).

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

You don't understand the problem.

I can watch the files without any issue.

The only problem is that Vista doesn't create thumbnails for the AVI files that have subtitle files in the same folder. It just displays a generic AVI icon (unlike the ones for the AVI files which are in a folder that doesn't contain anything else, where the "frame" thumbnail is shown).

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

That sort of thing is usually handled by the codec and windows media player's activeX plugin. Thus, what are you using for codecs? Divx, xvid, ffdshow, or are you using a codec pack?

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

Only DivX 6.8 and VobSub 2.23.

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

Does anyone else have an idea?

*bump*

Ensign Joe
FTP Access

Post by Ensign Joe »

Does it refuse to create those thumbnails itself?
You could actually try to refresh the thumbnail image.
Rightclick -> "Refresh Thumbnail" (don't know how it's called in English and if this is still available in vista)

But I don't think this'll work

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

It doesn't work that way. It doesn't create the thumbnail until you move the SRT to another folder and refresh the first folder.