BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 21m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 6189MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: wikipedia is so freakin' wrong on this one.        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:25 am 
FTP Access

Their article on Ubuntu says it takes a 700MHz P3 and 384MB RAM to run. I ran it on 1. a 400MHz Celeron, with a 128MB GeForceMX card I pulled from a system with a dead motherboard and 192MB RAM, and 2. a P2 @400MHz with 128MB RAM and integrated graphics. So suck that wikipedia. And the makers of ubuntu for that matter, if they say that's what it requires. Anyway, I'm just posting this because I'm as bored as Bill Gates in an Amish church service. Sorry.

-Zach

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:53 am 
Donator

Ok, "ran" is definitely subjective. My father has a very similar setup... a celeron 400 with 256 megs of ram, with a geforce2 MX video card. It takes about 10 minutes to boot. Clicking on a button, a windows title bar, a menu of anykind takes a anywhere from 5 to a good 30 seconds to register, let alone animate. Xubuntu was barely better. Face it. Linux of today needs a machine a couple of generations better than what you ran Windows 98 on.

And don't strawman me with something like "X and Y are probably broken". I tried every bit of hardware I had to throw at it (which I had nothing to give him past a 600mhz Celeron)... video cards, hard drives, more ram. It was simply unusable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:15 am 
FTP Access

Both wikipedia and you are liars

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:33 am 
TheWahbinator wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say they were liars, more like too lazy to read
the page thoroughly.

Quote:
Bare Minimum requirements

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation.

300 MHz x86 processor

64 MB of system memory (RAM)

At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)

VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

CD-ROM drive or network card

Quote:
Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

700 MHz x86 processor

384 MB of system memory (RAM)

8 GB of disk space

Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

Sound card

A network or Internet connection

Note: All 64-bit (x86-64) PCs should be able to run Ubuntu. Use the 64-bit installation CD for a 64-bit-optimised installation.

Quote:
Low-spec computers (Xubuntu)

If you have an old or low-spec computer, using a lightweight desktop system such as Xubuntu is recommended, as it should make more efficient use of your system's resources.

If your system has less than 192 MB of system memory, use the Alternate Installation CD.

Note: If you have a low-specification computer, certain features may be automatically turned off to conserve system resources. For example, if you have a graphics card with only a small amount of video memory (VRAM), the boot-up screen may not be shown.

Minimum requirements
166 MHz processor

64 MB of system memory (RAM)

At least 1.5 GB of disk space

VGA graphics card

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:40 am 
Donator

I am sorry, but from what I have personally seen, it is wrong. I also can pull up:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=1&chap=2

Notice where it says:

Code:
Hardware Requirements
   Minimal CD    LiveCD
CPU    i486 or later    i686 or later
Memory    64 MB    256 MB
Diskspace    1.5 GB (excluding swap space)
Swap space    At least 256 MB

That i486 is a lie. It may not be an intentional lie, but see:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189793

It is known not to work. But in the style of Linux, they want to say they support anything they can... on paper.

Obviously, you can't judge one distro on the faults of another, but it gives me a reason why I shouldn't believe such a claim, and I see no compelling evidence to swing me the other way. Especially when, like I have said, seen the contrary with my own eyes.

If you so wish, I can video tape the situation and post it here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 am 
FTP Access

If Wikipedia is wrong, go ahead and correct the mistake (and cite a source).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:14 am 
FTP Access

RentedMule wrote:
Ok, "ran" is definitely subjective. My father has a very similar setup... a celeron 400 with 256 megs of ram, with a geforce2 MX video card. It takes about 10 minutes to boot. Clicking on a button, a windows title bar, a menu of anykind takes a anywhere from 5 to a good 30 seconds to register, let alone animate. Xubuntu was barely better. Face it. Linux of today needs a machine a couple of generations better than what you ran Windows 98 on.

And don't strawman me with something like "X and Y are probably broken". I tried every bit of hardware I had to throw at it (which I had nothing to give him past a 600mhz Celeron)... video cards, hard drives, more ram. It was simply unusable.

Dude.. it ran faster than XP on my Gateway. :-| And I had menu bar transparencies on.

-Zach

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 am 
Donator

Yay. Another pointless post about how you got crap running on a 10 year old computer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 pm 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
Yay. Another pointless post about how you got crap running on a 10 year old computer.

yay, another pointless troll post by someone who only has like 2 myspace friends, and he hasn't ever met either one IRL. Serious, action should be taken about you. You do this on *every* forum you're on, you try to be a big shot, which you aren't, you're really just a bully. And when people bully me IRL, I knock them on the ground. That's the thing I hate about the internet, fags like you can say all the crap they want and not get truly punished. Dude, if you were to say some of the crap you say online in real life, you'd possibly be dead right now. Duh. So ease off.

-Zach

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Stop flaming. Do it again and everyone involved will be banned.

Locked.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]