BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 19h, 9m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 2084MB of 4163MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Dimension 2100 will not power on.        Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:24 pm 
FTP Access

So, I just got a Dell Dimension 2100 from a friend. We can't seem to get it to power on at all.

I've checked and double checked everything on it.

The power supply is operational - the motherboard power light glows.

But on pressing Power, the light in the button doesn't come on, and no signal is displayed on the monitor. The HDD light comes on for 30 or so seconds.

The diagnostic LEDs on the back (the A B C D lights) aren't on, and my reference doesn't help me.

No lights:
Quote:
Make sure that the computer is connected to a known working electrical outlet, and then check whether the front-panel power light is on or off. If the power light is off, check the power supply. If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Remove all cards. If the computer still does not start, see "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Power supply... checked.
Cards... removed.
Still nothing.

And I'm out of warranty by give or take 4 years, so seeing the "Contacting Dell" section in the Solutions Guide won't help me... and besides, who wants to waste 5 hours on the phone with an outsourced tech?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
You could try replacing the video card, however, I'm afraid that it's probably a motherboard issue. It could also be a RAM problem or even a CPU problem, however, in my experience when things like this happen it's often the motherboard.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:58 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
First thing I always recommend is a BIOS reset. Someone could have tried to overclock it and failed, but the motherboard won't go back to defaults automatically.

Also try re-seating the memory and processor check its not shifted.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
The very first thing I would check if the electrolytic capacitors located around the CPU socket. Have they reuptured or are they leaking? If so, then that is most likely your problem. I've seen loads of Dell Optiplex's and Deminsion's do this. (That comes from using lower-quality parts and components in the motherboard and it was also a manufactuing defect.) If you don't see any of those issues, then go with your basic stuff first. But oddly enough, this may be the first thing to check since I've repaired about 40 machines with like issues/symptoms and most of the time this was the problem. If this is it, find someone who can solder new ones on (you can get them from eBay or you can do them yourself, it's not very diificult.) Let us know what you find.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:36 am 
Donator

Just because some lights come on doesn't mean your power supply is "good". It could very well be broken to where it simply isn't pushing out the power it should be. Out of the hundreds of machines I have owned, this seems to happen a lot more than one would think

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5
The fact that you're not getting any diagnostic lights suggests the motherboard's not even reaching POST. Also, the motherboard power light might indicate the 5V rail, or the 12V rail. But I wouldn't think it checks them all. It's simply not an accurate indicator of power supply status. Ergo, I agree it sounds like a motherboard / power issue. It could even be both. I've had a bad power supply take down a motherboard as it's last Earthly action.

Edit: Or an unworkable CPU of course.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:21 am 
Donator

Sounds like something CPU related

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
4tified wrote:
The very first thing I would check if the electrolytic capacitors located around the CPU socket. Have they ruptured or are they leaking? If so, then that is most likely your problem.

I keep seeing more and more boards with leaking/burst capacitors on a day-to-day basis in my computer shop. Seriously, if a system shows no signs of life, check to make sure that nothing is leaking or burst (or for that matter, missing). I had one video card come in that had exploded - fan blade was shot off the card, and a sealed capacitor exploded off the board.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:13 am 
Donator

jimmsta wrote:
I keep seeing more and more boards with leaking/burst capacitors on a day-to-day basis in my computer shop. Seriously, if a system shows no signs of life, check to make sure that nothing is leaking or burst (or for that matter, missing). I had one video card come in that had exploded - fan blade was shot off the card, and a sealed capacitor exploded off the board.

Of course you do. See http://www.badcaps.net/

While that page cites problems as far back as 1999-2000, most of the world didn't start having real problems until mid-late 2002. If my memory serves me correctly, this Dell machine can fall into that category, but it sounds like the computer was well gone over... and an exploded/leaked capacitor is pretty apparent.

Replacing these can be done, but it takes a lot of patience, as they are usually grouped up with many others, making a normally simple soldering job much more difficult. Also, you have to pay attention to what direction they are going. With a machine that old, I would say, if that is the case, throw it away.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
RentedMule wrote:
jimmsta wrote:

Of course you do. See http://www.badcaps.net/

While that page cites problems as far back as 1999-2000, most of the world didn't start having real problems until mid-late 2002. If my memory serves me correctly, this Dell machine can fall into that category, but it sounds like the computer was well gone over... and an exploded/leaked capacitor is pretty apparent.

Replacing these can be done, but it takes a lot of patience, as they are usually grouped up with many others, making a normally simple soldering job much more difficult. Also, you have to pay attention to what direction they are going. With a machine that old, I would say, if that is the case, throw it away.

On the other hand, you could save some money fixing it yourself it that is indeed the issue. The materials and prices it would take to replace those caps should be cheaper than getting another board....now that's depending if you already have a solder gun, solder rosin, etc. If not, and you don't have the knowledge/patience for that task, and your board is indeed suffering rather than the power supply, then is probably would be a better idea to just buy another board.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Maybe the powerbutton in broke.

Does its make a clicking sounds, otherwise the cables can not be correctly placed.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 pm 
FTP Access

I'm checking back in,

Seems all caps are fine. The cabling is connected properly - checked, double checked, and triple checked.

RAM is unknown - I don't have other machines that take its RAM to check.

My friend I got it from says it's probably a CPU issue. I'll need to check with that. Probably a $15 or so Pentium III would work from Amazon.

I'm actually not sure with the powersupply for several reasons.

For starters, the machine HAS actually showed all 4 diagnostic lights turn on... for only a split second. All lights, A-D, are orange and then turn off, so I know the system board is receiving power, but the BIOS is not executing.

And the harddrive and CD-ROM whir to life when the Power button is pressed. But I don't see any activity from there on.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit: Checked mainboard prices - $35 or so for a new board at last resort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:47 am 
Donator

Unplug *EVERYTHING* then plug it all back in. missingno, what your describing, I had happen to me. Was a loose CPU

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
Unplug *EVERYTHING* then plug it all back in. missingno, what your describing, I had happen to me. Was a loose CPU

*sigh* Tried it, no luck again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 am 
FTP Access

missingno wrote:
happy dude wrote:

*sigh* Tried it, no luck again.

Oh hell. Left it unplugged for 24 hours. Fired it up to get the initial ABCD flash up on the back. Didn't come back at all thereafter. THAT means...

Dell wrote:
System board is receiving power, but the BIOS is not executing.
Set the configuration jumper to Maintenance mode, and restart the computer. Enter the system setup program and ensure that the processor speed is set correctly. Exit and save the setting. Turn off the computer, reset the configuration jumper to Normal mode, and then restart the computer. Remove all cards and restart the computer to determine if a resource conflict exists. If a conflict exists, resolve the conflict.

If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

And it's not happening thereafter. I need to check the powersupply. How'd I go about that, first? I don't have any other Dells in the house accessible to me (I don't think my sister'd let me touch her Dimension 3000...).

And yet again, seeing the "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide wouldn't help me >_<).

Well, time to go out looking for a PIII in town.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:54 pm 
FTP Access

And so the story comes to a close...
I'd like to thank y'all for your help in this. Seems it WAS a bad processor after all.

The lights mean it's happy.

Ordered a new PIII 933 off of Amazon from a seller - used yet like new. The 'mension is running it at 700 MHz... kinda odd for a machine that supports the same processor I ordered.

Oh well, time for a DBAN on the free hard drive...

The 2100 in it's networked nook.

Top  Profile