SATA expansion card

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
___
Donator

SATA expansion card

Post by ___ »

I have run out of SATA ports and was wondering what you guys would recommend I get as I have Vista x64. I need at least 2 ports.

Andy
Administrator

Re: SATA expansion card

Post by Andy »

___ wrote:I have run out of SATA ports and was wondering what you guys would recommend I get as I have Vista x64. I need at least 2 ports.
Any cheap SATA RAID card (PCI or PCI-E)should do you fine. They should allow you to run them as single drives just fine. They cost about $30, even for the cheapest ones. Don't expect brilliant performance from such a cheap card though. When it comes to RAID controllers you only get what you pay for.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

probably only going to run a 200GB from it that is basicly full and only going to store them so speed isn't a big conern

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

___ wrote:probably only going to run a 200GB from it that is basicly full and only going to store them so speed isn't a big conern
If you do have PCI-e slots, get a PCI-e SATA card they normally support 3.0GB/s (SATA II). If you only have PCI, then you can get a cheap SATA card (maybe under $15 some places) that supports 1.5GB/s. If you're looking for basic functionality and some raid features (RAID 0, 1, and 5), then I'd go with a Promise brand, their cards have worked flawlessly for me...and their pretty cheap too. (But not crappy performance).

matteone
FTP Access

Post by matteone »

Before buying the SATA controller, be sure that it supports Vista x64 with certified drivers: x64 has the Driver Signature Enforcement "feature" that does not allow to enable drivers without digital signature.

There is a workaround for that (disable Driver Signature Enforcement at every boot) but i don't recommend it.
Matte