BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 19h, 51m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5747MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

which one would you pick ?
Poll ended at Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Mac Pro 2009 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Lenovo Thinkstation S30 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
 PostPost subject: my new server ?!        Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
hello
i offer private cloud services for a number of my clients
right now i have fujitsu siemens tx 150 s7 with 8 gb ram,junk intel i3,and 4x4TB hdd's,128 gb ssd (for os...freenas)
since 2017 until 4 months ago.. i noticed some hangs and sometimes crashes,i think its getting a little crowded in there,its a old and weak machine.
i have 2 options for ugprade

first one is a mac pro 2009(aluminium case) with 32 gb ram,2x intel xeon X5570
second one is a lenovo thinkstation s30 with 32 gb ram, 1x intel xeon e5-1620

both of them run perfect but i dont know which one to pick for the new server
id pick the mac pro.. its a very powerful machine.. but i find it kinda strange to use it as a server

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
AFAIK, a Lenovo ThinkStation might be a good server for this type of operation. But that's just my pick because personally, I'd never choose to use a Mac computer for server use. Went with the ThinkStation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Go with the Mac Pro... I see no reason not to do so.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:25 am 
Donator

aLinux wrote:
hello
i offer private cloud services for a number of my clients
right now i have fujitsu siemens tx 150 s7 with 8 gb ram,junk intel i3,and 4x4TB hdd's,128 gb ssd (for os...freenas)
since 2017 until 4 months ago.. i noticed some hangs and sometimes crashes,i think its getting a little crowded in there,its a old and weak machine.
i have 2 options for ugprade

first one is a mac pro 2009(aluminium case) with 32 gb ram,2x intel xeon X5570
second one is a lenovo thinkstation s30 with 32 gb ram, 1x intel xeon e5-1620

both of them run perfect but i dont know which one to pick for the new server
id pick the mac pro.. its a very powerful machine.. but i find it kinda strange to use it as a server

Hope you're not charging your clients much 8-)
Either is likely going to stop your lockup problem (read the docs and system requirements - it should be pretty obvious WHY your system crashes with FreeNAS especially if you run a commercial service).

If the issue really isn't obvious - a consultant can help you. But it really is pretty damn obvious.

Either system is also junk spec.

Last edited by Level69chad on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:26 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Ok lets step back a few steps, i'm assuming these are paying "clients"? if so, you really want to be picking newer hardware specced out for the job of HA. Realistically those two machines you have chosen are not only old, chug power, generate a lot of heat but have no redundant psu's. Get a DL380e G8 and call it a day, they're cheap as chips. As Level69Chad said, the issue is glaringly ovbious, if you don't know why its crashing maybe you should not be hosting "clients". The FreeNAS documentation will help you.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 am 
Donator

Gnome wrote:
Realistically those two machines you have chosen are not only old, chug power, generate a lot of heat but have no redundant psu's.

I would think OP's business as a heating company has more viability than a private cloud company

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
It's free for my clients. Just a backup solution if their computers crash or hdd's die and so on.
The problem is with tx150 s7.. It's old and weak. Removed one stick of faulty ram. So right now it only has 4 gb ram, for now its stable. Need to change to another server asap.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:40 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
aLinux wrote:
It's free for my clients. Just a backup solution if their computers crash or hdd's die and so on.
The problem is with tx150 s7.. It's old and weak. Removed one stick of faulty ram. So right now it only has 4 gb ram, for now its stable. Need to change to another server asap.

just go for an actual cloud solution, backblaze backup is like $6/m per system and they have SLA's amongst other things and its unlimited.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Yeah, I would have to agree with Gnome on that. Using a cloud solution is sometimes the way to go without the hard work of a physical server. You could also try renting a VPS, which are less expensive and more effective. Although sometimes physical servers are better in cases like this one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
JonathonWyble wrote:
Yeah, I would have to agree with Gnome on that. Using a cloud solution is sometimes the way to go without the hard work of a physical server. You could also try renting a VPS, which are less expensive and more effective. Although sometimes physical servers are better in cases like this one.

Compared to cloud i cant see a fitting reason to use a physical server for backups. It is not a cost effective solution compared to private cloud, nevermind having to admin the box 24/7 365 and then fixing it when it fails or when software has issues. The TCO comparison is a total no brainer.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm 
FTP Access

You are comparing a 2009 CPU (x5570) with a 2012 CPU (E5-1620). Aside from the X5570 having lower power consumption, there is literally nothing in its favour here what so ever.

You can mod that think station, you'll be more limited in the Mac. The Lenovo you can upgrade to an 8-Core E5-26xx by the looks of it.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is no question here. The S30 is the better of the two. Whether it is worth using either though given that they are 7 and 10 years old. That is a different question entirely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: my new server ?!        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
ContemporaryAwareness wrote:
You are comparing a 2009 CPU (x5570) with a 2012 CPU (E5-1620). Aside from the X5570 having lower power consumption, there is literally nothing in its favour here what so ever.

You can mod that think station, you'll be more limited in the Mac. The Lenovo you can upgrade to an 8-Core E5-26xx by the looks of it.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is no question here. The S30 is the better of the two. Whether it is worth using either though given that they are 7 and 10 years old. That is a different question entirely.

That's a good assumption, I guess. Someone can just modify an older server by adding newer components to make it act like a new server. But even then, it probably wouldn't be a perfect thing for server use.

Top  Profile