AbyssUnderground.co.uk FTP Disk space low

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Post Reply

Torrents a good idea? Would you seed what you could?

Yes | Yes
9
47%
Yes | No
2
11%
No | Yes
3
16%
No | No
5
26%
Whats a torrent? :s
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 19

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

AbyssUnderground.co.uk FTP Disk space low

Post by Andy »

Copied from the private servers section

Im getting concerned with the lack of disk space left on the server. There is only 15GB left in total, and once that is used there will be no way I can add more. I do have 500gb on my home server but 0.4Mbps of upload is no where near enough to support all the people who want to download.

We need to form a plan to increase the diskspace and keep the bandwidth high. My only suggestion is torrents. I know its a bad idea but if everyone who collects seeds what they can we can keep the idea of a server alive. Even just 10KB/s of your total upload, or what you can, it still adds up. Im happy to increase my home servers disk space as much as needed to support the storage of the torrents. We just need more people to do their part and seed as well.

If you can do this for the community then please let me know! If nobody can do it then its pointless doing the torrents. It will end up being 15KB/s MAXIMUM for an ftp server to be hosted on my server. Im guessing you don't want that to happen.

This will only happen once this server is full, but this could be very soon and I suggest we take action now.

All suggestions and comments are welcome. Dont let the betas die!

Vista Ultimate R2
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Just a suggestion, but I presume that what is taking up most of the space is Vista builds, as you do seem to have a lot (and a lot in both 32 and 64-bit). So maybe move all the Vista builds except for the key milestones (Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1, maybe one later one) to your home server, and then you'll have lots of space on the main server again. As the Vista builds are using much of the space, it makes sense to me to move most of them off (as few people will want to see anything other than the key milestones, which show how it progressed - the interim builds are all very similar really).
Image

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

I want to keep all the files I can. Thats what keeps the downloads going. Im trying to set up a tracker but its failing.

Vista Ultimate R2
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I didn't say get rid of the Vista builds, just maybe move the ones that relatively few people are likely to want to the server you said you had at home that is a slower connection. I just can't see many people seeding torrents all the time, and you'd need several seeds if the download rate is going to be higher than if the files were on your home server, so I just thought that might be an alternative way to solve the problem.

A further possibility might be to RAR all the ISOs with maximum compression (most are just uncompressed ISOs at the moment) - that could squash them down quite a bit, and also reduce download times for us
Image

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Most are already rared or compressed to the smallest possible. If people cannot seed then they cannot expect to download. Torrenting is about sharing. Remember I dont HAVE to provide my FTP, I do it because I can and because people use it. I could shut it down right now. If people want these files then they will have to do something in return and seed them as well. If you can do it, you should.

Vista Ultimate R2
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Andy wrote:Remember I dont HAVE to provide my FTP, I do it because I can and because people use it. I could shut it down right now. If people want these files then they will have to do something in return and seed them as well. If you can do it, you should.
Of course - you know we all appreciate it greatly

I wasn't saying that people shouldn't seed, just that chances are they probably won't. There's a lot of reasons why they can't too eg most people don't leave their machine on all the time, P2P isn't allowed on most university networks etc.

How would a torrenting system work, anyway? Would you just move some of the larger files from the FTP to torrents, or use torrents for new releases and leave the FTP as it is but with no new files, or...?
Image

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

The torrents would replace the FTP, but the FTP would remain as long as it works. I can announce I have the tracker working, Im just working to adding the files now.

Jeff
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: USA

Post by Jeff »

I would agree on the torrenting thing but the constant uploading on my connection kills my download speed majorly! Plus i don't leave my pc on all the time.

However, i agree with the idea about putting the vista builds that aren't very important on the home server so if people really want them, they have to wait the 15kb/s download speed out...
-Jeff

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Even just 10KB/s seeding whenever your PC is on makes one hell of a difference. Think that if 20 people did this, thats 200KB/s of bandwidth. It all adds up.

Beta Freak
FTP Access
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:05 am

Post by Beta Freak »

I know for a fact some of the uploads are corrupt, so maybe you could remove the corrupt ones which downloaders would report. Then we see how much space is left.
I suppose we could use torrents as I would seed but you make a vote of which files are most downloaded and move the least downloaded to your storage server.

Jeff
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: USA

Post by Jeff »

Andy wrote:Even just 10KB/s seeding whenever your PC is on makes one hell of a difference. Think that if 20 people did this, thats 200KB/s of bandwidth. It all adds up.
Yeah, i guess i could do that, considering i have 30-40kb/s of upload bandwidth...

Oh, and BTW, i voted Yes|Yes
-Jeff

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Beta Freak wrote:I know for a fact some of the uploads are corrupt, so maybe you could remove the corrupt ones which downloaders would report. Then we see how much space is left.
I suppose we could use torrents as I would seed but you make a vote of which files are most downloaded and move the least downloaded to your storage server.
If people told me which ones were corrupt instead of leaving them then we wouldnt have wasted space either. The fact of the matter is even if we do clean it up we will run out of space some time or another.

The torrents are working but the software is crap so Im looking for a better piece of software to do the tracking.

___
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1914
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 am
Location: New Zealand

Post by ___ »

i would like to see a torrent system, but i also see a problem with seeders. i would seed what i could, but i can't leave my computer on 24/7 as im not the only one that uses the internet at my house.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

The torrent system would be best because it leaves the possibility of unlimited bandwidth and also it means if my server dies, everything is still around, even if only one person has it. It will never be lost forever.

tpemail
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:09 am
Location: China
Contact:

Post by tpemail »

I would wish to support...the only problem is the 5GB upload per day limitation of the Internet of my university and the 93GB HDD of my NB..
So 50KB/s upload would be acceptable for me.

btw...It might be better if you could use Share, a Japanese P2P client. As it could be much faster and no need to set trackers by yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_%28P2P%29

prx984
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Post by prx984 »

id like to help. i have a maximum bandwidth upload of about 16kb/sec, however i can really only get up to about 14kb/sec at any given time because of my brother constantly playing online games so id like to help and hopefully kill his games in the process

i have a few betas of OS's and stuff i could have on my comp. and i have roughly 60gb's of free space on my desktop plus another 40 in removeable hard drives.

(maybe when im working ill setup an FTP server for all this stuff)

moonlit
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Post by moonlit »

I'd be happy to seed anything I download if you got this up and running, I'm online virtually all/every night in the UK so from about 10pm until around 5-6am GMT I will be online and uploading... I've only got 256k upload but as you say everything helps.

I'd probably have to rotate what I seed though, I have relatively low disk space but I'd be happy to do what I can.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

I can see there are a lot of supporters for the idea. The only problem now is actually making the torrents and finding a decent piece of tracker software. Any suggestions?

Jeff
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: USA

Post by Jeff »

tpemail wrote:btw...It might be better if you could use Share, a Japanese P2P client. As it could be much faster and no need to set trackers by yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_%28P2P%29
Did you try that one? Or is it in Japanese? I guess it would help if i looked at that page.
-Jeff

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Its been suggested but as its not widely known or used I said no to it.

tpemail
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:09 am
Location: China
Contact:

Post by tpemail »

Jeff wrote:
tpemail wrote:btw...It might be better if you could use Share, a Japanese P2P client. As it could be much faster and no need to set trackers by yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_%28P2P%29
Did you try that one? Or is it in Japanese? I guess it would help if i looked at that page.
Sure I am using it, but I'm using a Simplified Chinese one.
There should be English version exist. PM me if you wish to know more

Prog
FTP Access
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:31 am

Post by Prog »

I thought the whole point of the FTP servers was so we could have direct downloads.

Either way, I don't torrent crap.
The above post is brought to you by me not listening in class and posting here instead. :D

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Do you want to pay for another FTP server for the extra space? Didn't think so. Unfortunately the only way to do this is to offer my spare (if you could even call it spare) bandwidth from my broadband for files.

This would mean:

- Max 20KB/s total speed
- 1 connection per user
- 4 total connections
- odd port number (eg 30000) due to the way my network is set up

kichimi
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Post by kichimi »

I wud seed + my ftp is also available
The better candies are in the cage

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Seeding is useless if people wont use torrents.

Post Reply