BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 23h, 41m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 2847MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: eee PC        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Ok, has anyone got one of theese? I an considering saving up for one, and selling my old PSP on ebay, to get the 4G one with the webcam/bigger battery. Is it any good? What do you all think of it?

Oh, and I will post info on my PSP when I am selling it, if anyone's interested in it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm

More info here on the eee PC :wink:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/804069 < 2GB HDD eee PC at PC World.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/457074 < 4GB HDD eee PC at PC World.

Last edited by callumh on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 pm 
Donator

This review could come in handy... :)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 pm 
Donator

I've played with one, a few people have them at uni. They're pretty good, but you need to get used to the small keyboard and the uselessly-small touchpad (it's like a postage stamp!). That said, it's a nice little machine. The custom build of Linux is pretty awesome, it's actually more useful and productive than running XP on it for the same reasons (internet, email, skyping etc.) The only thing that sucks a bit is the fact that there's only 4gb of space, but you can get more from a USB drive.

It's a nice device, but it's something that you really need to try out before you buy, so go to your local computer place and try one.

Personally I'd wait for the 10" one that's about to come out ... you could either get one with a generous screen, or you could pick up an old 7" model cheaply. A win-win situation. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Never mind.

Last edited by WinPC on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
I don't have one, and I'm glad. I don't like the Eee PC because it's basically useless, just like any other type of modern PC. It doesn't even have Windows XP or Vista, it has Linux, and they say it can run Windows XP, but I'm not listening to the manufacturer. I would rather listen to the actual owners. I don't trust what Asus says, I would still find out from the owners whether Windows XP can run on this useless device or not. It seems that no company wants to actually tell you the truth anymore. It's likely that this device can't run Windows XP very well, but that Asus doesn't want to tell you that, just so that they can trick people into buying this product. I pretty much still use Windows, and I even still use Internet Explorer. Both products have worked great for me.

Actually, I've seen one with XP running quite well...

I'd imagine if you threw FLP on there it would be even faster.

Last edited by Jeff on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:00 pm 
FTP Access

Its even technically possible to run Vista on this thing so that'd lead me to believe that XP would run pretty well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
WinPC wrote:
I don't have one, and I'm glad. I don't like the Eee PC because it's basically useless, just like any other type of modern PC. It doesn't even have Windows XP or Vista, it has Linux, and they say it can run Windows XP, but I'm not listening to the manufacturer. I would rather listen to the actual owners. I don't trust what Asus says, I would still find out from the owners whether Windows XP can run on this useless device or not. It seems that no company wants to actually tell you the truth anymore. It's likely that this device can't run Windows XP very well, but that Asus doesn't want to tell you that, just so that they can trick people into buying this product. I pretty much still use Windows, and I even still use Internet Explorer. Both products have worked great for me.
WinPC, please refrain from using fanboyism in your posts. If you continue to post things like this, we will take action.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:29 pm 
FTP Access

You can get a Dell laptop for under £300 that has a proper-sized screen, can run Vista etc, so I don't really see the attraction of the EeePC for about £200 with its tiny screen, very limited specifications and toy-like looks :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I'm getting an EeePC for my birthday in two weeks, and I think it's great myself. It does run Windows XP fine (I have the 4Gb version ;) ) and you have to remember that although the processor may be clocked low, its still a modern CPU, and will outperform much newer processors despite running at a very low clock speed. Its an incredibly efficient processor. The SSD is really both the high point and the low point. It is amazingly fast, but also expensive in large sizes, which is why the ones in the EeePC are small.

However, getting an EeePC is hard, most places have a 4 week waiting time. And I'd recommmend that you wait until the new, larger EeePCs come out. They will have a 9" screen, and capacities of 12Gb to 20Gb, which is much more useful.

The EeePC is an amazing PC though, especially in the fact that it is completely silent and ultra-portable. That's what really persuaded me to get one, as I have a powerful enough desktop, and I just wanted a cheap portable laptop to use in other places, mainly for surfing and MSN. Anything else I need i could access over the wireless network when Im in my home, or even Remote Desktop to my Desktop, so I can be elsewhere, but still have access to a decent PC.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:28 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
My dad has one and it is pretty nice. But we werent able to put Windows XP on it. It ever ended up in a bsod :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
D.Konieczny wrote:
My dad has one and it is pretty nice. But we werent able to put Windows XP on it. It ever ended up in a bsod :P

FLP doesn't work straight away, because it fails to overwrite the Linux boot sector with it's own windows one, then the install fails because it doesn't recognise the boot sector :(

However, if you first install normal Windows XP or 2000, then wipe and install FLP over the top, its fine :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
hounsell wrote:
D.Konieczny wrote:

FLP doesn't work straight away, because it fails to overwrite the Linux boot sector with it's own windows one, then the install fails because it doesn't recognise the boot sector :(

However, if you first install normal Windows XP or 2000, then wipe and install FLP over the top, its fine :)
No, I straight away managed to wipe the custom version of Linux on my mom's and install FLP with no errors whatsoever. The whole install was very smooth and I didn't have a single glitch to work around.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
hounsell wrote:
D.Konieczny wrote:

If it was up to me, I'd do that too because it then almost guarantees that the install will go okay.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
hounsell wrote:
D.Konieczny wrote:

No, I was talking about the method to install it on an external HD drive which is described in the eeePCs manual. But this doesnt worked :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
D.Konieczny wrote:
No, I was talking about the method to install it on an external HD drive which is described in the eeePCs manual. But this doesnt worked :P

Mine doesn't describe installing to an External HDD, that can't be done without editing the setup because of the USB. The Manual only talks about installing to the internal SSD (or at least mine does anyway :S)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 am 
Donator

FYI, here's what other OSes run on the Eee and how to install them:
Ubuntu
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Server 2003 R2
Mac OS X Leopard / Tiger
Vista

Or of course you could stick with the provided Xandros Linux. I think Asus themselves have said they are going to ship Eee's preloaded with XP, but I can't find where that was.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 am 
FTP Access

It can even activate the "Aero Glass" effect...

You can try install the Intel GMA 950 driver on a GMA 900 (EEEPC) machine, notice that they have the same core and the only difference between is just the clockrate..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:30 am 
Donator

my friend has one and put xp (and later vista) on it, boots like 5 secs or something. I would wait for one with the larger hdd, (not the 4gb one) as you can't put much on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am 
Donator

WinPC, I really am getting sick of your stupid posts. You like slow PC's from 1999, Windows ME and Internet Explorer. Thats nice for you but we get sick of hearing it in *every single post*

I myself will be getting an eeePC soon, its alright, I can use it at school etc without lugging a fullsized laptop. Although I prefer XP over Linux, I'll try the Linux that comes on it for a while then most likely put XP on it (unless the XP version comes out soon)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
happy dude wrote:
I myself will be getting an eeePC soon, its alright, I can use it at school etc without lugging a fullsized laptop. Although I prefer XP over Linux, I'll try the Linux that comes on it for a while then most likely put XP on it (unless the XP version comes out soon)

The XP Version is already out. When I was in Melbourne on the week of the 2nd of March, I went to GeekCentral and they showed me an eeePC with the official XP from ASUS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm 
Donator

Fireware wrote:
WinPC wrote:
WinPC, please refrain from using fanboyism in your posts. If you continue to post things like this, we will take action.

Exactly. Stop posting such crap immediately, or we'll start deleting your posts / discuss a ban. Enough is enough. This is the only warning.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
OK, thanks guys, I think I will wait for the ones with the bigger screen and HDD, and while the preloaded Linux looks good, I most likely will put on FLP or XP, as I might be playing some older PC games on it, like Star Wars Battlegrounds or an old Fifa game.

The reason I would like one is so that should I ever go on holiday, or something, and need a computer, I can use it, plus do to the fact that it is an actual PC, I could use it to quickly go on Bebo or MSN or check email or something, more efficiently than a PSP, and quicker startup than this big laptop. And it has better specification than my broken ThinkPad, so it will definitly be good for general portable use.

Oh, and as for WinPC's post (which he now removed) I'd just like to say that it CAN run XP. I have seen it on multiple websites, and I would trust what people say here. And while old PC's can be interesting to play around, newer machines are definitly better, as they can do more in less time, quicker and more efficiently, and well are more enjoyable and less stressful to use. Please don't say that old stuff is better, and modern PC's suck, it just dosen't sound right. (I apologise if this sounds a bit fanboyistic. please remove/ignore this part if so)

Edit: Oh, when I get mine, I might do a page in the wiki on it, if you would like.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 am 
Donator

compact-mac wrote:
Oh, and as for WinPC's post (which he now removed) I'd just like to say that it CAN run XP. I have seen it on multiple websites, and I would trust what people say here. And while old PC's can be interesting to play around, newer machines are definitly better, as they can do more in less time, quicker and more efficiently, and well are more enjoyable and less stressful to use. Please don't say that old stuff is better, and modern PC's suck, it just dosen't sound right.

I must say, its a shame users cant even post stuff in fullsized font these days for fear of reprisal.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:37 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
happy dude wrote:
compact-mac wrote:
Oh, and as for WinPC's post (which he now removed) I'd just like to say that it CAN run XP. I have seen it on multiple websites, and I would trust what people say here. And while old PC's can be interesting to play around, newer machines are definitly better, as they can do more in less time, quicker and more efficiently, and well are more enjoyable and less stressful to use. Please don't say that old stuff is better, and modern PC's suck, it just dosen't sound right.

I must say, its a shame users cant even post stuff in fullsized font these days for fear of reprisal.

I'm sure that anybody in the right mind would read what it said, either by increasing their browsers text size or copying it into a text editor.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next