BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 18h, 34m | CPU: 85% | MEM: 5631MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: IE for MacOS is truely dead        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:56 am 
Permanently Banned

Yeah yeah, IE for MacOS died a while ago, but they have continued work on Tasman (the rendering core) for a while for usage in MSNM and Entourage (the crappy excuse for Outlook), but they have seemed to replace it with WebKit in Office 2008.

Seems it was put to rest for good.

I should add, WebKit is far better than any browser core Microsoft could ever put out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: IE for MacOS is truely dead        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:44 am 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
I should add, WebKit is far better than any browser core Microsoft could ever put out.

*sniff* ... *sniff* ... Is that ... no, it can't be ... could it really be ... fanboy?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:41 pm 
I bet all the mac users use mozilla, safari, or opera anyways.
I use mozilla myself and I use a pc.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
The Pfeiffenator wrote:
If I were a Mac user, I would still use Internet Explorer. And what was the reason for discontinuing Internet Explorer for Mac? I don't pay much attention to Mac stuff, so I wouldn't know.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:53 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
The Pfeiffenator wrote:
If I were a Mac user, I would still use Internet Explorer. And what was the reason for discontinuing Internet Explorer for Mac? I don't pay much attention to Mac stuff, so I wouldn't know.

IE/Mac didn't have a wide user-base, the last version (5.2 IIRC) is hopelessly obsolete, and additionally, other much better browsers are available among them Safari, so there was little reason to continue IE development.
Good luck using IE on a Mac when current systems don't even include it anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:30 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Even when I had a Mac I never used IE. It was only ever FireFox and occasionally to test website compatibility I would use Safari. This news doesn't surprise me anyway. When I owned the Mac I used Office 2003 on it and it was stupidly slow, unbearable infact. I couldn't understand why it was so slow, but then I realised, its either my Mac, or Microsoft making it deliberately slow to annoy Mac users. Who knows. Its probably not deliberate because if anyone ever found out... well, you can only guess where that would go. In the end, the slowness was one of the factors that made me get rid of the Mac. I think IE headed in the same direction and its made Microsoft say, sod it. We can't be bothered. Doing Office is bad enough.

</rambling> :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 pm 
Donator

I suppose you're referring to Office 2004 (as there's no 2003 for Mac)? If so, it's slow because it's running in Rosetta. 2008 is Universal and much faster, still, a bit slow for my taste occasionally.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:43 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
empireum wrote:
I suppose you're referring to Office 2004 (as there's no 2003 for Mac)? If so, it's slow because it's running in Rosetta. 2008 is Universal and much faster, still, a bit slow for my taste occasionally.

Yes sorry, 2004. I also tried 2008 but it was equally slow. Must have been the Mac then? :S

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm 
FTP Access

2008 is quite slow to load for me, though not bad once it's loaded (on a PPC G4) - 2008 should definitely feel faster than 2004 if being used on an Intel Mac though. I don't think MS Office is particularly slow on Macs, though it certainly doesn't load as fast as the Windows version.

As for IE, I think OS X 10.2 Jaguar was the last that included it (yes, Apple actually used to include Microsoft products in their OS, with the big "E" right there in the Dock on a new installation of OS X! :P (including IE with Mac OS was part of the deal that Apple did with MS where MS bought large amounts of Apple stock to stop them going bankrupt in '97)) as Safari was released as a download for 10.2 and then included with 10.3 and later. You can of course download and install it on the newer versions and it should even run in Rosetta on an Intel Mac, but it doesn't work especially well with some modern websites as it's so many years since it was last updated now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
empireum wrote:
WinPC wrote:
The Pfeiffenator wrote:

IE/Mac didn't have a wide user-base, the last version (5.2 IIRC) is hopelessly obsolete, and additionally, other much better browsers are available among them Safari, so there was little reason to continue IE development.
I'm not a Mac user, I'm a PC user, what I wrote was just supposing if I were a Mac user, (which I'm not).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
empireum wrote:
WinPC wrote:
The Pfeiffenator wrote:

I'm not a Mac user, I'm a PC user, what I wrote was just supposing if I were a Mac user, (which I'm not).

I know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
As for IE, I think OS X 10.2 Jaguar was the last that included it (yes, Apple actually used to include Microsoft products in their OS, with the big "E" right there in the Dock on a new installation of OS X! :P

No, a fresh install of Panther includes internet explorer..its just not in the dock.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 am 
When I had my PowerBook G4... I didn't have problems with Microsoft Office. It ran fairly normal for me.