BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 2h, 16m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 2826MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: fat 32 or fat16 ramdrive in dos        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
is there anyway to get a ramdrive to be formatted in either fat32 or fat16? this is the only thing keeping me from finishing a little project of mine, and all google turns up are things for windows NT...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:53 pm 
Donator

Erm... What exactly do you want to do? You can create a RAM disk using various drivers, e.g. ramdrive.sys or xmsdsk.exe. I've always believed the FS would be automatically set to FAT16 unless the disk is bigger than 2 GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
im trying to get windows 98 to boot off of a ramdrive, kinda like the windows 3.11 bootable floppies on the server, but when i try it (im using ramdrive.sys), it shows me an error for about a half a second, then the VM closes. the error is something along the lines of "vfat initialization error" or something like that, and when i check the format of the ramdrive, it says FAT, so i figure its because the ramdrive is using FAT instead of FAT16 or 32

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:27 pm 
Donator

"FAT" usually refers to FAT16. How big is your RAM disk and how exactly are you trying to do this? Also, I recommend you to switch to Xmsdsk as I've read of a successful attempt to boot 98 from a 300MB-ish RAM drive using it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
about 14 MBs, its all the space it needs (im trying to make the ramdisk as small as possible), and my 98 refuses to boot with anything more for some reason(wether it be from virtual hard disk or ramdisk, although it doesn't boot from ramdisk anyway)... could be the VM...

as for the method, i have dos 7.1 make the ramdisk, then i use a .bat file to copy win 98 from a cd-rom to the ramdisk, change the directory to where win.com is and run it

Top  Profile  YIM