BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 0h, 13m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 2132MB of 4437MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Updated my BIOS...        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 pm 
FTP Access

Well I finally took the plunge and had a go at updating my BIOS to see if I could sort out the issue of my 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo running at just 2.1 GHz because of the board's 1333 MHz FSB setting not seeming to work...

I was 99% convinced that I'd killed the board as it said I had to restart to complete the BIOS flash and it just restarted to no display, no beeps, no nothing, left it for a while like that then tried again, still nothing... :o About to order a new board, I lay the PC on its side and stuck a pair of scissors across the "Clear CMOS" jumpers in a last ditch attempt to revive it, and it actually worked after that! :o :D And what's more, the 1333 MHz overclock setting now sticks (before it just rebooted and the setting was automatically disabled again) and my WEI score has gone from 5.0 to 5.4 for CPU as a result! :D

So moral of the story is don't be afraid of updating your BIOS - I was, and it left me with an underclocked CPU for 6 months! I'm so relieved though, I was that sure it was dead! It does feel extremely fast now, though I suppose that could be perception as I'm expecting it to be fast, I don't know whether such a change would actually be especially noticeable or not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:28 pm 
Donator

Didn't I tell you it would probably work? :)

As a side-note, it is common practice to short the "clear CMOS" jumper after a BIOS update to reset the settings.

Congrats for taking the plunge! As for the change being noticable, it could be and will be in demanding apps since this is a ~25% increase compared to your previous clock speed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

Hehe, yes, thanks for the encouragement, I certainly needed plenty of encouragement to take the plunge! :) If I'm not careful I'll end up trying the other things you've been encouraging me to try soon... ;) I didn't know about the CMOS thing, I just thought it would be worth a try as it resets everything, and when having problems with the initial install of OS X on my Mac it was helpful to unplug it and remove the little battery for a while, which is the same kind of thing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:13 am 
Donator

I'm still too scared to update any of my BIOS'es :P My PC's BIOS is something like September 2005...... :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:17 am 
FTP Access

Mine is August 2003.
There are no updates. (Edited 26/Nov/2009)
To be more precise: ASRock K7VM2 P1.90 AMIBIOS.

Last edited by RichardG867 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
happy dude wrote:
I'm still too scared to update any of my BIOS'es :P My PC's BIOS is something like September 2005...... :^)
I actually don't think September 2005 is that old.

I don't care much about my own BIOS's. Just as long as it's compatible with Windows, it's good enough for me. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:29 am 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
happy dude wrote:
I actually don't think September 2005 is that old.

I don't care much about my own BIOS's. Just as long as it's compatible with Windows, it's good enough for me. :)

Eh...I've got a computer with a bios from 1995...updating it may allowe me to use the SDRAM slots on the motherboard rather than the EDO

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:31 am 
Donator

I always use the newest (non-beta, usually) BIOS version available for a motherboard, unless a specific reason prevents me from doing that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 am 
FTP Access

I believe my bios is circa 2004. Biostar made one update for my motherboard. it had a bugfix and a new logo. I personally hate the new logo

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:41 pm 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:

Unless you're having specific problems that an update might address the recommendation is to not update it I think, so there's no reason not to have an old BIOS :) I just used Gigabyte's utility that downloads and flashes the BIOS for you from within Windows by the way - so much easier that way, though I know it's usually recommended that you don't do it from within Windows just in case something happens to crash it mid-update.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:46 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
happy dude wrote:

Unless you're having specific problems that an update might address the recommendation is to not update it I think, so there's no reason not to have an old BIOS :) I just used Gigabyte's utility that downloads and flashes the BIOS for you from within Windows by the way - so much easier that way, though I know it's usually recommended that you don't do it from within Windows just in case something happens to crash it mid-update.

Agreed, I never flash from within Windows, only from the BIOS itself if that feature is present or from a pure DOS boot disk containing only io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com, the flash tool and the bios file itself. I tried to flash from within Windows once, and it failed, bricking the board. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, "Never touch a running system." or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:34 pm 
FTP Access

Wow, I can play Crysis with 2x antialiasing and all of the settings on High now, with the same performance as without AA before, this really seems to have made a difference! :D (even though you would expect the game to be mainly graphics-bound)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:32 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The first thing Dan told me to do when I got my new PC was update the BIOS. I hate doing it in case I "brick" the BIOS and I have to send it back. As of now however, I've never had one fail, or if it has, its replaced the corrupt BIOS with the old one by itself.

I would tend to agree with "if its not broken don't fix it though" as you have for years, but well done in finally giving it a go.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 pm 
This is making me want to update my bios now! Congrats on the success.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm 
FTP Access

The Pfeiffenator wrote:
This is making me want to update my bios now!

Only do it if you have a specific problem that it might address - it only improved my Crysis performance because my CPU was underclocked before, it won't otherwise ;)

Andy wrote:
The first thing Dan told me to do when I got my new PC was update the BIOS. I hate doing it in case I "brick" the BIOS and I have to send it back.

I'd be surprised if you even could send it back, there seem to be disclaimers everywhere for my board at least saying the flashing the BIOS is potentially risky and it's not their problem if it goes wrong. Yes, some people do like to update the firmware on everything when they build a PC, some even do it on the DVD drive and the like, but personally I don't like it and have never done it before. I think there's even a newer BIOS for my new laptop available, but there's no way I'm updating that! :P

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:
The first thing Dan told me to do when I got my new PC was update the BIOS. I hate doing it in case I "brick" the BIOS and I have to send it back.

I'd be surprised if you even could send it back, there seem to be disclaimers everywhere for my board at least saying the flashing the BIOS is potentially risky and it's not their problem if it goes wrong. Yes, some people do like to update the firmware on everything when they build a PC, some even do it on the DVD drive and the like, but personally I don't like it and have never done it before. I think there's even a newer BIS for my new laptop available, but ehre's no way I'm updating that! :P

Well people have done it before simply saying its DOA (Dead on arrival) and 99.9% of the time it works.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:20 pm 
FTP Access

Well I'm sure you're too honest to do that ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:22 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Well I'm sure you're too honest to do that ;)

Well as of yet its not happened to me so I haven't done it, but I know of a fair number of people who have. All the company does is sends it back and the BIOS chip is changed and its send out as refurbished or as-new.

Top  Profile  WWW