BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 21h, 18m | CPU: 63% | MEM: 2005MB of 4305MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Sad news: Microsoft FTP taken offline        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Well, it's a sad day, since Microsoft has finally taken their FTP server offline. I could not connect to it today. All I can say is:

ftp.microsoft.com
1994-2008

Rest in peace.

This server has served Microsoft well, but it probably needs a rest, and since the files there were very old, it will probably never be back online again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 pm 
Donator

Microsoft FTP Description: Error Reporting, Software Updates, Beta Software and Debugging Tools.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:31 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
:o It's a shame that they shut down this server, there was a lot of stuff on it...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
i just loved the 007 logo and the pics

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:36 am 
FTP Access

OMG!

It's online for me...

FileZilla wrote:
Status: Connected with ftp.microsoft.com. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: USER anonymous
Response: 331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Command: PASS *****
Response: 230-Welcome to FTP.MICROSOFT.COM. Also visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads.
Response: 230 Anonymous user logged in.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 Windows_NT
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-FEAT
Response: SIZE
Response: MDTM
Response: 211 END
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (207,46,236,102,55,70).
Command: LIST
Response: 125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
Response: 226 Transfer complete.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:50 am 
Donator

Same here.

It looks like they were repairing it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maybe I'll try connecting to their FTP server using an FTP client then. I still can't connect to it using my web browser (Internet Explorer), however, I used to be able to do it that way. Right now, I can't use FileZilla, since I'm using a Windows ME Based laptop, but when I upgrad to something like Neptune on my old Compaq, or something like that, I'll probably be able to download things that way again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:34 am 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
Maybe I'll try connecting to their FTP server using an FTP client then. I still can't connect to it using my web browser (Internet Explorer), however, I used to be able to do it that way. Right now, I can't use FileZilla, since I'm using a Windows ME Based laptop, but when I upgrad to something like Neptune on my old Compaq, or something like that, I'll probably be able to download things that way again.

No offence, but do we really need a life story every time you post?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:44 am 
Did this really require a thread, MS are always taking thier ftp offline,
then back online, probably for maintenance or whatever...

& perhaps if you use the right address, you might just be able to
connect yourself...
This is the address you posted abovehttp://ftp.microsoft.com/

Try using ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ 8-)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
KenOath wrote:
Did this really require a thread, MS are always taking thier ftp offline,
then back online, probably for maintenance or whatever...

& perhaps if you use the right address, you might just be able to
connect yourself...
This is the address you posted abovehttp://ftp.microsoft.com/

Try using ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ 8-)

I already tried that, and it still won't work. I wonder why it's working for you? Maybe my ISP has banned connections from Microsoft's FTP server.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:03 am 
Donator

I doubt that your ISP would block access to the worlds largest software company but it wouldnt surprise me if they were blocking ftp connections

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:39 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Before posting things like this you should get confirmation from several people first, or wait for an official confirmation that it has been shut down. It would avoid the confusion and comments against you.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:55 pm 
FTP Access

Personally I'd recommend always using a dedicated FTP client to connect to FTP servers anyway, IE doesn't do the best job in the world.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:32 pm 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
Personally I'd recommend always using a dedicated FTP client to connect to FTP servers anyway, IE doesn't do the best job in the world.

infact, it does one of the worst

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I think my IP range is blocked. I'm using a PC that was once able to access the Microsoft FTP, but I can't connect to it using this one either. I must be banned. Either that or my ISP is blocking the connection. Before, I was using my laptop, and it didn't work on that system either. I might still be able to use dial-up though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:16 am 
Donator

Have you tried a PROPER FTP client eg FileZilla, SmartFTP, or are you that rapt up in using the worst program available for FTP?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
HappyDude if you did bother reading, he said he couldn't use a FTP client such as FileZilla and SmartFTP as they aren't supported on Windows ME.

WinPC, try ws_ftp you can find older versions of it at oldapps.com and oldversion.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:13 pm 
Donator

There are other FTP programs that would run on ME.....................

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 pm 
I've got the last version of Filezilla make to run on Win98 if he wants it...

EDIT: nvm, I just found that Sourceforge still host a Direct Download Link for it...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
merty wrote:
HappyDude if you did bother reading, he said he couldn't use a FTP client such as FileZilla and SmartFTP as they aren't supported on Windows ME.

WinPC, try ws_ftp you can find older versions of it at oldapps.com and oldversion.com
Ah, as he's "100% unaffected by modern technology." For some reason he appears to have tricked himself into thinking the 90s-era operating systems and computers are superior to our fancy 2008 PCs that can, I don't know, actually run a proper FTP client.

...but that's just me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
I can't connect using FileZilla. I think my ISP is either blocking the connection or I got banned.

KenOath wrote:

EDIT: nvm, I just found that Sourceforge still host a Direct Download Link for it...

Are you sure this is actually compatible with Window 98/ME? I'm pretty sure I remember downloading this version, but it didn't work with Windows ME. Could you please test both the installer and the program in Windows 98/ME to see if it works?

Derf wrote:
merty wrote:

Ah, as he's "100% unaffected by modern technology." For some reason he appears to have tricked himself into thinking the 90s-era operating systems and computers are superior to our fancy 2008 PCs that can, I don't know, actually run a proper FTP client.

...but that's just me.

I'm not against Windows XP or Vista, but you're partly right, I am "100% Unaffected by Modern Technology". I disagree with it, that's why. And I'm pretty sure that Windows 2000 on something like a Pentium II or Pentium III can run a proper FTP client.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
WinPC wrote:
I'm not against Windows XP or Vista, but you're partly right, I am "100% Unaffected by Modern Technology". I disagree with it, that's why. And I'm pretty sure that Windows 2000 on something like a Pentium II or Pentium III can run a proper FTP client.
The reason I brought this up in the first place is because I'm rather confused about it. Not to hijack the topic, but just as a quick detour - what, exactly, do you disagree with? Do you disagree with advancements in technology, or...? I always found this strange anytime I see you make mention of it and would simply like to make some sense out of it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Derf wrote:
WinPC wrote:
The reason I brought this up in the first place is because I'm rather confused about it. Not to hijack the topic, but just as a quick detour - what, exactly, do you disagree with? Do you disagree with advancements in technology, or...? I always found this strange anytime I see you make mention of it and would simply like to make some sense out of it.
It's the modern culture of the industry that I don't like. It didn't used to be this way, but now everyone seems to be fighting over market share, and it's populated by teenagers playing violent games or "overclocking". In my opinion, this industry has been destroyed. That's the short story. And when I came to the computing world, it was very different. Not much overclocking, less violence, and of course a friendlier environment. And in my workspaces, I try to preserve that friendly environment.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:22 pm 
WinPC wrote:
I can't connect using FileZilla. I think my ISP is either blocking the connection or I got banned.

KenOath wrote:

Are you sure this is actually compatible with Window 98/ME? I'm pretty sure I remember downloading this version, but it didn't work with Windows ME. Could you please test both the installer and the program in Windows 98/ME to see if it works?

I have 2.2.18, installed on my 98se Torrent machine as at this post so
i'm quite sure 2.2.16 will work...
Why would you bother asking such, do you really think I'd have posted
such if it weren't the case...
In fact, All the older builds can be downloaded here..

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
WinPC wrote:
Derf wrote:
WinPC wrote:
It's the modern culture of the industry that I don't like. It didn't used to be this way, but now everyone seems to be fighting over market share, and it's populated by teenagers playing violent games or "overclocking". In my opinion, this industry has been destroyed. That's the short story. And when I came to the computing world, it was very different. Not much overclocking, less violence, and of course a friendlier environment. And in my workspaces, I try to preserve that friendly environment.

While i understand where ur coming from you gotta realize that the times are not going to change and thats probably all thats gonna happen but more. Me personally am a teen that loves violent games and am prolly gonna go play some call of duty 4

Top  Profile